• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Yep, I called for wreckage and was wrong, so far. If he gets through 3 days at Idlewild without a +8 kinda day I will never doubt him again.

So... now you will ... what's that again?

over his rating which is well beneath his level of skill at this point.

Not bad for his first time at Idlewild. 993 972 981. Pretty respectable considering there aren't really a lot of holes he can attack with any kind of consistency. Be interesting to see how he does at Ledgestone next week. He's got some good experience on a tight wooded course to have some confidence playing Northwoods but if its windy at Eureka...

:popcorn:

4 birdies, 4 single bogeys
5 birdies, 6 single bogeys and a double
3 birdies, 2 single bogeys and a double
Total: 12 birdies, 12 single bogeys, and 2 doubles.

Consistent 980s golf from a 960s guy who came in and prepped all week. He took his hits nd didn't let it stack. Had one wild round and kept his head to avoid something ugly. I don't know how much of the east coast swing he's gonna play (or even how much is going on...), but it doesn't look like its gonna be some kind of wake-up call like people thought these wooded courses would be.

Since I believe the ratings work, i suggested he'd be +/- 10 (averaging of all three rounds) from his rating. Earlier this thread I said we should expect him to be between 960-980. The rounding off hurt me. His rating going in was 972. I should have said 962-982 and I would have been spot on. He averaged 982 for the three rounds. Hardly got wrecked. I'd do a lot of things for that score on this course.

I know I'm not supposed to say anything but ef it. You are following someone who is being celebrated for finishing 76th That alone should explain why others are like "WTF? Why?" (Rhetorical)

100% :wall:

So he finished out of the top 70 again.. Can this be over?

Nope.

Because alot of people are curious enough to watch a video (or click on a thread) that features him. :D

Uh...
Including Jay Dub, Tpro, and many others -- who probably can't even resist responding again.

People also watch cat and baby videos a lot...

So he finished out of the top 70 again.. Can this be over?
No.

This presents an interesting narrative. There are a lot of good ones on tour right now, but Brodie provides a particularly unique one. We see a lot of athletes transition over, we see a lot of disc sport athletes transition over... but right now we're seeing a guy who was one of the best ultimate athletes in the world, in the argument for best player in the world, for a minute. Watching Brodie make this move is a lot of fun in that we already know we're watching someone who, provided he doesn't bail out on things, will be a 1020+ rated player sooner rather than later and we have a front row seat to the show. Is it a bit weird to appreciate this particular narrative because we feel like we've already got the ending... sure? But it also allows you to appreciate the journey differently in real time.

Additionally the way his arc has played out and is playing out has some elements that could be relevant in the near term future. Brodie Smith is not the first star ultimate player to age out of his sport, and if the money in disc golf manages to keep on the upswing we are going to see more of those guys try to make the same transition. Seeing Brodie's journey will provide a barometer against which to measure those guys. Can they get to legit making-it-on-tour status quicker than Brodie does it? Are we going to see someone come in from Ulty and just straight trainwreck everything and make Brodie's transition look snail-like by comparison?

There are a lot of fun elements to following Brodie. There are lots of other good narratives on tour, but this is definitely one of the ones worth following.

I only watch the top rated players in any sport, this isn't about movies. Or babies or cats.
This is about entertainment. Sport is entertainment, simple. I care about the narratives. The championship narratives are one category of story - I'm capable of following more.

I only watch the top rated players in any sport, this isn't about movies. Or babies or cats.

0vzgt8yse8441.jpg

This is about entertainment. Sport is entertainment, simple. I care about the narratives. The championship narratives are one category of story - I'm capable of following more.

He'll need to make lead or chase card coverage for me to see him. I certainly won't seek out Bro-D media content for the narrative. My YouTube browsing time has limits.

When I've watched AM tournaments it was always fun to watch the guy that maybe had a athletic scholarship in his future, or a guy who started late in life and was doing well. I feel like Brodie is super version of that, going through the legit growing pains of learning. And he has the proven work ethic to grind his way to success.

I don't think this has an ending written already. But it speaks to the legitimacy of the difficulty of DG, our weird little sport.

I liked Brodie from his trickshot videos. So, for a fan of Brodie and disc golf, this can be entertaining stuff. I don't watch all of the content. But the fast cuts from Idlewild were nice. They were short and just showed the throws.

This is an exception to my normal sports watching habits. I don't like to watch "no name" disc golf vids and I don't watch college sports. I typically prefer to only watch top level sports. I guess Brodie isn't just sports, but also entertainment. And his wife is developing/showing more personality on the videos. I like her, too.

I liked Brodie from his trickshot videos. So, for a fan of Brodie and disc golf, this can be entertaining stuff. I don't watch all of the content. But the fast cuts from Idlewild were nice. They were short and just showed the throws.

This is an exception to my normal sports watching habits. I don't like to watch "no name" disc golf vids and I don't watch college sports. I typically prefer to only watch top level sports. I guess Brodie isn't just sports, but also entertainment. And his wife is developing/showing more personality on the videos. I like her, too.
Yeah, I thought those fast cuts of his rounds were great. I appreciated them. As you said - I don't watch all of his stuff. Mostly just rounds of golf. He does a great job expressing what he's learned on the course so far too. The one fellow above mentioned having limited YouTube time - this is how I spend mine.

He'll need to make lead or chase card coverage for me to see him. I certainly won't seek out Bro-D media content for the narrative. My YouTube browsing time has limits.

The fast cuts of his rounds at Idlewild were approx 10 minutes. This was my first time watching Brodie play disc golf despite all the hype...

I found it interesting to watch his form - he is moving towards disc golf throwing form while very obviously stuck in Ultimate form in some ways. If he is unable to shake the negative aspects of the Ultimate style I think he will peak at a 1000 rated. If he is able to fully transition into disc golf form, he is such an athlete that I can see him taking down big tournaments and scoring much better.

ugh brodie is another one of those "there's no such thing as spoilers in sports" people. it's one thing to think that, another thing to be a total dbag about it. I was kinda starting to come around to the guy again but the past few weeks have done a quick u-turn on that

Everyone telling he doesn't belong on pro tour, what would you tell to everyone who he beat in Idlewild? You don't belong here?

Everyone telling he doesn't belong on pro tour, what would you tell to everyone who he beat in Idlewild? You don't belong here?

We can't pretend that DGPT events are comrised of 100% top pros. The ratings average of everyone he beat at Idlewild was 958.77. I'm not saying he doesn't belong. I enjoy watching him progress just as much as I enjoy watching young players progress. I respect the effort and hope he does well.

Additionally the way his arc has played out and is playing out has some elements that could be relevant in the near term future. Brodie Smith is not the first star ultimate player to age out of his sport, and if the money in disc golf manages to keep on the upswing we are going to see more of those guys try to make the same transition. Seeing Brodie's journey will provide a barometer against which to measure those guys. Can they get to legit making-it-on-tour status quicker than Brodie does it? Are we going to see someone come in from Ulty and just straight trainwreck everything and make Brodie's transition look snail-like by comparison?

Not just Ultimate though. I think we are going to start seeing lots of very athletic teenage to 20 something minor league baseball players who get fed up with grinding in the minors quick and take up disc golf. Probably quite a few collegiate level quarterbacks who aren't quite big/fast enough to handle the pros jump into discgolf as well (thats basically Kevin Jones although he was a punter). And most of all, high level high school athletes who can't/don't have the means/path towards collegiate sports transition into disc golf.

More athletes are coming, will be fun to watch.

Not just Ultimate though. I think we are going to start seeing lots of very athletic teenage to 20 something minor league baseball players who get fed up with grinding in the minors quick and take up disc golf. Probably quite a few collegiate level quarterbacks who aren't quite big/fast enough to handle the pros jump into discgolf as well (thats basically Kevin Jones although he was a punter). And most of all, high level high school athletes who can't/don't have the means/path towards collegiate sports transition into disc golf.

More athletes are coming, will be fun to watch.

Surely there needs to be plenty more money in it yet before this is a thing?

Coming over from Ultimate (where there isn't much money to be made) and coming over from something which has an enormous potential upside (NFL or MLB) is quite a different prospect. Outside of KJ, who was a serious athlete in one of those big money US sports that's made the switch?

Latest posts