• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Business selling lost discs.

b-ry

So theres a place near me that apparently takes in discs and just scribbles over names. If you lose a disc and can still see your name on the disc could you get it back or is a finders keepers kinda thing.

If I was able to identify a disc as mine via name/phone#/artwork, etc. I would speak with the owner and inform them that I would be keeping it. If they put up a stink I would tell them to call the police.

at my local store, i happened to see a disc i knew to be mine that i lost a week previous. at that time i never marked my discs but i knew it was mine due to the specific color and gouge from a tree on the rim. decided to buy it back at cost and was fine with it since its a frequent thrower. the guy at the counter heard me mention to a friend i was with that it was my disc and said he would sell it to me half price. i know how much they buys discs for and this means that they didnt make any profit off this disc. i told the dude i dont mind paying as they are a business and it was my own fault for not marking discs. his reply was "its cool man, just learn from your mistake." and handed me a sharpie to mark the disc with my number. thought it was pretty cool of them. never expectes a business to do this. i dont expect this to be common practice tho.

Most around here if they paid for it it's no longer your property in their mind. Some won't even buy inked to avoid conflict.

If that's someone's entire business that kid. Of stinks, but I guess you could bring in abandoned property laws. Though that varies greatly by state from what I've seen.

If you find one of yours at our local store they will sell it back to you for cost which is like a finders fee so I don't mind if I really like the disc. Others they can have. Haha

I have a hard time expecting the stores to worry much about it. I mark my discs, but I also understand that it's a bit silly to expect to get them back after throwing them 300' into some strange places...

As a retailer, I would feel awkward selling plastic objects with people's name and number, especially without trying to contact that number. But if one of those stores tried to contact me regarding a disc, I'd love to have the option to buy it back before Joe-Shmoe-walking-thru-the-store buys it.

If the local shop has a disc in the used rack that you know is yours, they're good about letting you have it for what they paid. Seems fair to me.

If the local shop has a disc in the used rack that you know is yours, they're good about letting you have it for what they paid. Seems fair to me.

This is the case with the PIAS here in Billings.

Just call the cops. Finders keepers is one thing (though illegal, too) but a business selling stolen goods is another level.

Thats basically what happens if you find something of yours in a pawn shop in Ohio, too.
Though, one issue with a shop reselling is whether or not they take a copy of a license in the event that someone does come in with a police report looking for their stolen gear.
PIAS does this. I don't recall the disc shop doing so, though.

Just call the cops. Finders keepers is one thing (though illegal, too) but a business selling stolen goods is another level.

Yes, cuz getting your disc worth $8 back for free is a great use of cops' time. If you really want the disc you should have looked better when you lost it, or should be willing to buy it back for at least what the business paid.

If you really want the disc you should have looked better when you lost it

You do realize that there are lots of ways to lose a disc, right?

Playing doubles and accidentally leaving it behind when you decide to take your partner's shot instead.

It falls out of your bag during the round.

Playing a blind hole and unbeknownst to you, somebody takes it before you get there.

Looking for almost an hour in fading daylight, not realizing that it rolled several feet away from where you've been looking.

(all of the above examples have been experienced by me or someone I know)

Point being, no need to be a patronizing azz.

If I loose my disc out there it's the property of the courses and whoever finds it which usually is me lol. I've found so many discs that losing some here or there isn't that big of a deal. Just part of the game...... I wouldn't expect a business to care if it was my disc, sets a bad precedent but I've never seen used discs sold around here tho so it's a non issue afaik.

Point being, no need to be a patronizing azz.
Well, yeah, there's never a NEED to be patronizing. All of those are legit examples of ways to lose discs. That's when the

...or should be willing to buy it back for at least what the business paid.

Comes into play. I just think calling in authorities over a used frisbee is a bit overkill.

There are dozens of discs out in the world with my name marked out on them. Some lost, some sold, some traded and even a few thrown deep in the wood on purpose.
The op should start a lost disc registry with the local police. The cops could do surprise raids on the stores used bin. The op would probably have to testify at the trial...

Latest posts