• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can a 9 hole course ever get a 5 disc rating?

wolito

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I have played several 9 hole courses, some of them designed really well and are a blast to play. Though I haven't rated one more then a 4, would you ever consider rating a 9 hole course a 5/5 discs? I mean the course would have to be awesome in every way, concrete teepads, top notch signs, multiple pin placements to name a few, just to be a consideration. Has anyone rated a 9 hole course 5/5 discs? Would the simple fact that it only has 9 holes even exclude it from the possiblity of rating it 5/5 discs? What are your thoughts?

I'd say if its good enough then yeah you can give it a 5/5 discs. I mean I'm sure its really rare but some places might actually put some time into designing it perfect. Look at the Top 10 rated. I think they would have to mirror those courses in order to achieve that though.

I think the reason nine hole courses usually get lower ratings is because most of them aren't taken care of or are pitch and putt courses. The number of holes on a course doesn't matter all that much to me as it's more about the quality of holes that you are getting from the space a course is given and how much are you using correctly. That's the long version of saying I would rather play 9 breath taking holes than 18 holes that are just average.

I would say that one could. To me, the amount of holes doesn't really matter as long as the design and amenities are there.

Unless I think there is obviously enough space to add more holes I will not dock points for having less than 18 holes. I would rather play a well designed niner that makes good use of the available land than a cramped, too short 18 that is too many holes for the park. So if it was a great course in every way then it could be a 5 IMO.

I never go out alone, and really enjoy spending time with my friends. That being said, I think it's plausible that one could, but highly unlikely. I don't know about you guys, but when it seems like the round was really short in time, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It feels like I missed out on something, or I got shorted, and cheated. I really don't think we'll see one.

9=hole courses with average rating 4.0+ with 5+ reviews

Signal View, which has three tees per hole and is in a beautiful setting, is the only course that meets this criteria, and even it hasn't received any 5=ratings.

So, while in theory a 9=hole course could be rated a '5', in practice, probably not.

In my opinion, (Key phrase: My Opinion) I rate 9 holers on a 4 disc rating as opposed to a 5. Just because it has 9 holes less than an 18. This is just how I do it, I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Whenever I do my reviews, this is my creed.

When people are reading a review for an 18 hole course they are asking themselves: "Give me one reason why I SHOULDN'T play here."
When they are reading a review for a 9 hole course, they are asking themselves" "Give me one reason why I SHOULD play here."

Lets face it, most 9 hole courses are made because of restrictions with Land or Cash. So they are going to be targeted towards a local demographic. They are usually not made with the "Traveler" in mind. If it was possible, then we'd see more 18 hole courses. This is the stigma that comes with the 9 hole course. I've played some great 9 hole courses! Most of the time they can be a lot of fun to play! But, they suffer because they lack the back 9. This is also why I try to really promote a 9 hole course if I see a good one. There are cases where the 9 hole course is a trial run for the City parks dept. They want to see how well disc golf does.

Well, that's my spiel on the 9 holers. 9 Holers need lovin too. ;)

I say yes, but only if there is a well thought out backward 9 to go with the front nine--the course still has to be killer as well!

only if there's a hooker holding a beer waiting at the end of the ninth hole.

a hooker? really?

only if there's a hooker holding a beer waiting at the end of the ninth hole.

I don't know what kind of hookers you guys got going on in St. Louis or Texas, but I hope I never see one of those toothless cracked out whores that hang out in Cincinnati out on the course. :gross:

Maybe the beer is HUGE...???

If there's a hooker, would that make it a pay to play, or is she free? And what kind of beer? These things would need to be taken into consideration.:)

If a 9-holer was totally awesomely perfecto, than sure. However, I personally rate courses based on all the others I have played, so a perfect 18 holer would have to score more than a perfect 9 holer in my opinion, but if somebody else gave a 9 holer a 5.0 and it was top notch and deserving, then fine by me.

If there's a hooker, would that make it a pay to play, or is she free? And what kind of beer? These things would need to be taken into consideration.:)

best take i've ever heard on that situation:

if you bet a hooker $20 that she can't get you off, is that gambling or prostitution? :D

best take i've ever heard on that situation:

if you bet a hooker $20 that she can't get you off, is that gambling or prostitution? :D

There is someone that would be able to give a definitive answer to that question! :) This same person happens to be a connoisseur of Myrtle Beach's 3rd ave crack whores! :gross: lol You know who I'm talking about! Haha