• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can Scott Stokely compete in the Open division against McBeth & Wysocki in 2015?

diskdunn1

I watched Scott Stokely play 20 years ago and battle Ken Climo for World Championships year after year. Climo did get the better of him. Scott held both the forehand and backhand World records for distance and the World record for speed for a really long time. I thought he was the master of disc golf. I still have his disc golf video. I used to watch it everyday. Then he disappeared from disc golf. Now after like 15 years I hear he's coming back full time on the pro tour in 2015. And he's playing in the open division. I'm so excited to see him play again and to see how he does against Mcbeth, Wysocki, Ulibarri and the rest of the top pros. I saw on PDGA he played in a few tournaments at the end of 2014 and finished in the top 5 in 2.

So what does everyone think? Can Scott compete at a top level again after 15 years away from playing serious disc golf? And he's playing with his new disc line Fly High Discs. He has Blue hair and tattoo's now!

i played with Scott in a tournament about a month ago- he's a pretty good ways from the best guys in the world currently... still way better than moi though.

Yeah I never heard of him until this year. Apparently he was a top pro back in the day. I saw him at a tournament a few weeks ago. Can't miss that blue hair. If he has been out of the game that long, I would say he has no chance against McBeth or Wysocki. I always like to see the older guys battle though. I always root for Barry Schultz at the USDGC and McCray.

I think Scott will be a decent pro again, but not a guy who can compete with the best of the best.

Edit: I had a long drawn out post that basically said, "No way." I thought it sounded like hating though, but it seems the sentiment will probably be unanimous.

Last edited:
Maybe the obvious answer is no. I think a top 10 world ranking at the end of the year would be a huge statement.

What's impressive to me is at his age he's gonna lace up the shoes, put his game face on, and think "game on mother f******"

I'm a fan already. Good luck Scotty.

Maybe the obvious answer is no. I think a top 10 world ranking at the end of the year would be a huge statement.

What's impressive to me is at his age he's gonna lace up the shoes, put his game face on, and think "game on mother f******"

I'm a fan already. Good luck Scotty.

That's why I'm rooting for him. I like to imagine that he stepped away from disc golf in his prime, entered corporate America for a decade or more and then had a moment of clarity pushing him to get some tattoos, dye his hair blue and come roaring back to the game he loved.

I enjoy playing with Scott, few people are as fun and light hearted while still playing serious. I enjoy his facebook antics. He is the kind of guy who dedicates himself %100 to the task on hand and can achieve a lot. If he is in the hunt he hardly misses inside 50'. That all said I expect him to finish well in every event and if he makes it to worlds I wouldn't be surprised by a top 25 finish, and I wish better for him.

I assume its his facebook posts the last few days that sparked the reddit discussion, but today he is still second card after day one.I bet he finishes top 4 this weekend.

Well, I got to see him at a few months back at Lunacy in Longmont, which I believe was his first tournament on the "road back" such as it is. Obviously I play Ams so I didn't watch him the whole weekend but I saw him on Sunday.

He took 2nd to Joe Rovere, who is the top pro in the state. Joe also does well on the national stage (crushed it at the Maple Hill Open and hung with/beat many of the "Big names") and is someone I consider the "second tier" of pros. To wit, he is an awesome player who is capable of beating the top guys when everything clicks.

Joe bested Scott by seven strokes. Therefore, in my very non-academic opinion, I would say Scott can hang on the national stage and even keep up. It's possibly he could win one over the top dogs. But he likely won't be able to do it consistently.

However Scott is very much about the fun factor, and I can guarantee no matter how he places he will be out there having fun.

I was tied with scott going into the final round of that event and was on his card (chase) two rounds. He didn't turn it on til the last round. He was also playing with an all gateway bag because his discs were not approved yet. I think he has a bit if room for improvement. And eagle who had scott and I by one going into that round and is 1010 or so rated also played well that round and gave a few to scott.

But 7 strokes behind in a 3 round event is not just a little. 7 strokes between 1st and second is more than there was between 2nd and last cash.

Last edited:
He will compete, he almost certainly won't beat either of those two particular player too often if at all. I'm sure he will do really well though!

The best part was when he thanked joe because it was nice taking second to someone other than klimo... and meant it

Well, I got to see him at a few months back at Lunacy in Longmont, which I believe was his first tournament on the "road back" such as it is.

Not his first tournament back. He showed up to the PODS Finale and managed last cash after a horrible first round. He has it in him to play well. Too inconsistent to compete at this point. But, that could change.

From what I have seen, Scott needs to gain consistency, which should come with time. He also could do with some putting practice. However, if he does put in the time and work, I can easily see him doing very well this year.

The best part was when he thanked joe because it was nice taking second to someone other than klimo... and meant it

I liked Scott every time I met him but as this statement points out, he couldn't beat "klimo" consistently back in their day so I doubt he can now. Which means no to the top pros.

Latest posts