• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can someone write up a brief history of the whole Prodigy exodus?

mizunodave

Birdie Member
I missed that but I understand it was a big deal. Who all left from where and why? How did it play out? I imagine it would have made for some juicy threads here.

There must be a landfilled thread in there somewhere. I tried to do a search but couldn't find anything really good for your question...

I think Trilogy forming had a bigger impact on the sport. They formed the same time as Prodigy. Eric McCabe and Dave Feldburg both left their sponsors the same offseason that prodigy was created.

I missed that but I understand it was a big deal. Who all left from where and why? How did it play out? I imagine it would have made for some juicy threads here.

almost all of them left. they gained a few new people. they are a little stronger in the states where the ones are who are left.

This summary is on Marshall Street's Prodigy page:

Prodigy Disc leapt into disc golf manufacturing in 2013 with the idea of sponsoring most of the world's best players and, in turn, their endorsement would propel the company forward.

Founded by disc golfers, most notably Michael Sullivan and Steve Greenwell, Prodigy sought to help disc sport become a profession that allowed the best players to support themselves through their winnings and their endorsements.

In its first year Prodigy scooped up most of the best players, including 2X USDGC Champ Will Schusterick, who's still with the team.

It's still going, but that idealistic euphoria that boosted Prodigy Disc initially, eventually began to fade into the sober reality of many Prodigy players signing more lucrative contracts with other companies. So in that sense at least, Prodigy WAS successful.

It's team still maintains modest growth, periodically adding to its arsenal, while continuing to sponsor players at all levels.

It's disc naming convention is easy to understand: It's first distance drivers, for instance, were named D1, D2, D3, D4 and D5. The higher the number the more understable the disc.

The brand has a full arsenal of every type of disc, and continues to fill the ever-shrinking gaps in its line.

Speaking as a relatively new, relatively old, and relatively low arm speed player:

The F7 (in 400g Glimmer) is a terrific disc. For me, it's about 220'-250' with a reliable smooth fade at the end. Then higher I throw it, them more it fades - so it's pretty good for shorter dogleg rights. I bought the special edition direct from Prodigy with the "ACE" imprint. It's a great looking disc.

The A4 (300) has a specific place in my bag. If I throw it hard enough to flip up flat, it's straight as an arrow for about 180'-200', and then a dramatic dive to the left, almost straight down to the ground. The 300 plastic is grippy - and the disc doesn't seem to do anything but hit the ground and stay put!. So if the pin is tucked left, this is a great tactical disc for me. The danger is if I don't throw it hard enough (as I said, I don't have terrific arm speed) - it will dive left at about 50' and lie there, laughing at me.

Research so far..

So on January 1st 2013 Prodigy takes the following players from either Innova or Discraft:

Nikko Locastro, Garrett Gurthie, Jeremy Koling, Will Schusterick, Ricky Wysocki, Paige Pierce, Sarah Hokum, Catrina Allen, Cale Leviska, Paul Ullibarri, Cam Colglazier, and Ragna Bygde.

At the same time Dynamic Discs moves into disc manufacturing and takes Dave Feldberg, Eric McCabe and Paige Bjerkaas. Others?

I'm trying to get a feel for how punchdrunk Innova and Discraft must have felt at that moment.

Extra content you don't want to miss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx-4fMLADKo

What are you hoping to accomplish with this thread? I asking honestly because I can't possibly see the benefit of digging up old drama

Research so far..

So on January 1st 2013 Prodigy takes the following players from either Innova or Discraft:

Nikko Locastro, Garrett Gurthie, Jeremy Koling, Will Schusterick, Ricky Wysocki, Paige Pierce, Sarah Hokum, Catrina Allen, Cale Leviska, Paul Ullibarri, Cam Colglazier, and Ragna Bygde.

At the same time Dynamic Discs moves into disc manufacturing and takes Dave Feldberg, Eric McCabe and Paige Bjerkaas. Others?

I'm trying to get a feel for how punchdrunk Innova and Discraft must have felt at that moment.

Extra content you don't want to miss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx-4fMLADKo

Innova and Discraft are in it for the long term. I don't think they cared about all the hoopla as much as we might have thought.

In 2013, Innova kept who they wanted to keep, McBeth. They wanted to retain the reigning World Champ, and they had already seen, I think, that he could affect disc sales. The Roc3 came out in 2012 and was selling like crazy with his name on it.
I also want to make the point that they are not reelling from losing McBeth in 2018. Again, their focus is in the long term. My impression is that they consider the mass market to be the lions share of their income. Tour disc sales are almost a "boutique" market for them. They have the current World Champ, Greg B (and possibly RW), so their enthusiast market is in good shape. Losing Paul was unfortunate, buy not a tragedy.

Discraft, in 2013, was concentrating on the Ultimate market. They dropped the disc golf ball for a few years, so their focus was elsewhere. So they were not off-balance by the exodus. Thankfully, their focus seems to be back. It is exciting to anticipate PM's influence over the next few years.

Last edited:
Research so far..

Feldberg went to Lat. 64.

Wasn't there the rumor of him being let go at Innova and then expecting a spot on Prodigy, which didn't happen?

I personally witnessed Feldberg and Dave Greenwell butt heads (when Greenwell was still with Innova) big-time at a tourney years ago. I don't think that helped the prodigy decision...

I thought Prodigy was more of Phil Arthur's baby.

honestly maybe its time for you to stop thinking in black and white and find some grey area

Yeah I rolled my eyes. Maybe the guys is just curious about a very interesting time in disc golf history. There's no drama to be had as I doubt the major players involved in the exodus care about what people on a forum say.

There are plenty of shades of gray... However, when someone is looking for history and notes 'juicy threads' I have a tendency to think that person is looking for drama.

I will also challenge the idea that "players involved in the exodus don't care about what people on a forum say." Not that "we" say anything important, but the pros are also average joes that just happen to be able to throw a frisbee well... Many of them still have day-jobs and subscribe to social media, including this site.

But, I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt and step out of this thread. Enjoy your gossip fellas...

Latest posts