• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Canadian Disc Golfers Corner or from Canada eh

Duck Golf is coming to Pender April 4... I'm signed up for pro masters.. It should be a real good time..

I'm looking forward to playing the wide open ball golf course even though it's going to be a tough haul, looks like a good group though all good guys. Still 40 spots open.

Anyone coming to Pender so I can kick your ass??! Or vice versa...

A group of us Victoria lads went up to Powell river on the weekend to check out and play in their new 18 hole tournament layout. Great mix of wide open bomber holes, aritificial river, wooded shots, and even a kiddie pool hazard.

Also stopped in Nanaimo on the way back to check out the new temporary 18 course at pryde vista golf course. My arm was nearly ready to fall off. Some 800ft+ holes out there.

I'm contemplating signing up for duck golf... a few of my buddies are going. Trying to figure out if I should take the Friday off work and come over early. Never played the pender golf course before.

I'm contemplating signing up for duck golf... a few of my buddies are going. Trying to figure out if I should take the Friday off work and come over early. Never played the pender golf course before.

Up to you.. The distance bombers at golf course are pretty see what you get.. The 27 at regular course is a little trickier, lots of shorter heavier wooded stuff, if you're going to gain strokes with practice that's where you'd pick them up. If you are coming over shoot me a message. I'm not hard to find I'll give you my number. Mike the Electrician...

So, being that far north when does the weather break for you.

Been gorgeous every month on Pender except February. Actually we are worried we are short on rain... think Seattle only sunnier.. But we're right on the border with the San Juan Islands..

Some other Canadians might be able to make you feel better about your weather though...

Up to you.. The distance bombers at golf course are pretty see what you get.. The 27 at regular course is a little trickier, lots of shorter heavier wooded stuff, if you're going to gain strokes with practice that's where you'd pick them up. If you are coming over shoot me a message. I'm not hard to find I'll give you my number. Mike the Electrician...

The weather in march has been sweet so far for the islands. It's been so cold and dry that we desperately need rain though before July/August hits.

Well registration closes on the 30th I believe? So I need to make my mind up soon. I'll be in the regular intermediate pool. I've played a few unsanctioned tourneys, but nothing that's PDGA related.

We were thinking of doing an air b&b for Friday + Saturday evening. Head back to the island Sunday.

We were thinking of doing an air b&b for Friday + Saturday evening. Head back to the island Sunday.

Right on... air b&b is good... there's also opportunity to rent a cabin up at Currents at Otter Bay... depending on individual owners sometimes you can sleep 3 or 4 for less than 200 a night.. But you need to send an email to the operator and he sends it out to the owners.. Everyone is on a quarter share dealio there. It's close to ball golf course but not the regular Disc park.. A designated driver or Taxi recommended on weekends.

Duck Golf on Pender Island is a week away.. Still spots open last I checked.. Registration is through discgolfscene I believe.

There's an option to pay 5 bucks and play ball golf course (Discgolf setup) Friday if anyone wants a preview of Saturday. For anyone hanging around for the weekend Sunday doubles is 10 o clock at Golf Islands Disc Park 6 bucks to play...

I had the pleasure of playing with Dean from Saltspring yesterday, he banged an Ace and made some nice putts, had to leave to catch a ferry after 17 holes... I finished it off Cali for a first place and -22 over 27 holes. I caught a long bird and narrowly missed/ chained out on a second on the long 24 and 27 holes. Caught one bogey on 14 (also long)..

Played my new Vertex 179 (MVPs most understable mid) and it gave my some sweet backhand straight to anny shots on three of my trouble holes. I'm considering the readdition of the Relay to the bag for fairway tweener straight shots.

Last edited:
Well registration closes on the 30th I believe? So I need to make my mind up soon. I'll be in the regular intermediate pool. I've played a few unsanctioned tourneys, but nothing that's PDGA related.

Hmmm maybe the registration did close yesterday.. Haha I don't know just trying to drum up hype.

Hmmm maybe the registration did close yesterday.. Haha I don't know just trying to drum up hype.

Oh it's all good. We are all registered now and booked our place last night. Seems like all the good spots close to the course got scooped up. We are staying in south pender close to bedwell, so it's a bummer that we are 15-20 mins away, but it beats having to take the early boat over Saturday.

We are aiming to catch the 1:45pm ferry over on Friday to play a practice round or two at the golf course. Any insider local knowledge on how different the tournament layout will be? Any added OB or difficulty to the regular park course?

So, being that far north when does the weather break for you.

I'll give the non-on the sunny effing San Juan Islands answer

Calgary, Alberta

just north of Montana

Canada's Denver

the weather this year basically broke in mid-March with sun and mid-teens Celsius temps
it has since dropped back to 8-12 degrees Celsius

February was a nightmare this year the average HIGH temp in Feb was something like -22C
yes that was the HIGH temp on average

I normally go to GBO (have for the past 5 years but not this year)
this year the ground is clear of snow and practice could be had

last year the ground was clear and practice could be had

in other years we had deep snow on the ground when going down for GBO week

over my near 30 years in Calgary I've noticed that real winter starts later and later but then gets real crappy for a period of time
and spring comes a hair earlier

but climate change isn't real cause "look at this snowball"

We are aiming to catch the 1:45pm ferry over on Friday to play a practice round or two at the golf course. Any insider local knowledge on how different the tournament layout will be? Any added OB or difficulty to the regular park course?

No OBs, no changes to the regular course.

Golf course front nine is a different layout then previously, but it will be the same Friday as Saturday, I don't have any Intel on that.

Well i'm for sure bringing lots of layers and my sorel waterproof boots... We've been eyeing the forecast and hoping the Pender weather gods smile for us on friday/saturday. Either way it should be a good time, we do need the rain desperately.

Well i'm for sure bringing lots of layers and my sorel waterproof boots... We've been eyeing the forecast and hoping the Pender weather gods smile for us on friday/saturday. Either way it should be a good time, we do need the rain desperately.

Yeah I feel the same way.. We need it but it would be great if it held off on Saturday. It's going to be good either way!

Haha so rain is one thing how about that wind? Geez.. Not looking forward to that, there's going to be a last minute bag shuffle for me. Also looks like I'm starting at the golf course and you're starting at the main park. Might see you at the awards!

Haha so rain is one thing how about that wind? Geez.. Not looking forward to that, there's going to be a last minute bag shuffle for me. Also looks like I'm starting at the golf course and you're starting at the main park. Might see you at the awards!

Oh man what a crazy weekend! It flew by so fast. Between driving all around the island as a designated driver and being so far away from the courses we barely had time to do much else.

Practice round on Friday I shot -8 on the regular park baskets. Played a really late round at the golf course, it was calm then. Managed to shoot well with a -3 (didn't finish till 8pm).

Felt really good about everything. We were excited to be on the island and really got into the oat sodas and stayed up late... rookie mistake! Throw some rain and unpredictable wind into the equation and most of us shot our worst rounds ever on pender. Great learning experience however. We would have loved to check out your course but I was driving milk runs all day.

How'd you feel about the tournament? That was my first time ever playing the golf course. It's a beautiful peice or property. Any idea when / if it will become a permanent course? Are the local golfers cool with the idea?

Oh man what a crazy weekend! It flew by so fast. Between driving all around the island as a designated driver and being so far away from the courses we barely had time to do much else.

How'd you feel about the tournament? That was my first time ever playing the golf course. It's a beautiful peice or property. Any idea when / if it will become a permanent course? Are the local golfers cool with the idea?

It sounds like it was well received at the golf course, I know they sold a bunch of beer, they have very little traffic this time of year. I haven't heard anything official back yet... it would be cool even if it was semi permanent in the off season.. It would be great to get more distance practice in somewhere open and windy like that, I don't get enough of it.

The wind beat me up pretty bad, so did sand traps and other OBs. +14 I think, one lone birdie. I don't like the distance at the golf course to begin with. Lost a disc early and got crap in my eye.. Haha.. I was a little cranky at half time but I got the crap out, had a beer and went back to the regular course with no better success but it was good to be back on home turf. Shot par out there, it didn't help taking a 6 right at the start up 27, but really I should have been -5 conservatively...a lot of "almost" putts. It was good company though and I was running aces anyhow.. Starting off I was 10 strokes behind the lead.

It sounds like it was well received at the golf course, I know they sold a bunch of beer, they have very little traffic this time of year. I haven't heard anything official back yet... it would be cool even if it was semi permanent in the off season.. It would be great to get more distance practice in somewhere open and windy like that, I don't get enough of it.

The wind beat me up pretty bad, so did sand traps and other OBs. +14 I think, one lone birdie. I don't like the distance at the golf course to begin with. Lost a disc early and got crap in my eye.. Haha.. I was a little cranky at half time but I got the crap out, had a beer and went back to the regular course with no better success but it was good to be back on home turf. Shot par out there, it didn't help taking a 6 right at the start up 27, but really I should have been -5 conservatively...a lot of "almost" putts. It was good company though and I was running aces anyhow.. Starting off I was 10 strokes behind the lead.

I hope you guys get the course in permanently either way. I think a lot of people let the wind frazzle them, and I had a hard time switching gears from short techy woods shots to wide open windy shots. Had some great drives. But suffered too many 2 putts in the wind. I think nerves and playing too conservative in my first PDGA tourney killed my round.

Probably should have tried your strategy with a beer + cooldown at lunch... oh well. All in all it was a success. Can't wait to head back to pender as always.

Anyone playing in the AB open next month in Calgary? Or has anyone got some experience with the 2 courses involved?

It'll be my first tournament unless I sneak one in prior somehow, and I've only played the Hinton course which only has a couple of open holes.

I won't have the opportunity to get to know the course prior and will be lucky if I even get to play it once before the tournament. Competing in MA2 btw.

I do field work in the mornings and can reliably drive fairways over 300 with speed 12/13 US going around 350 in the open and have no problems hitting 250+ on a golf line with a mid, 200-250 with a putter. Putting is 75% inside circle 1, 50% circle 2 and I can scramble like nobody's business and consistently park my approach shots when I'm not running at baskets.

That being said: Are there any tips to tackling the holes or courses in general that may avoid bogeys or snag birdies that I can keep in mind? Not so obvious lines or ways to approach the holes strategically?

I won't have the opportunity to play the course more than once or twice but could potentially play it for the first time in my first tournament (not just PDGA - period).

I just want to learn and see what the scene is like but a rating close to 900/parring the courses would be a smile maker for sure :)

I'll give the non-on the sunny effing San Juan Islands answer

Calgary, Alberta
just north of Montana
Canada's Denver

Hey so that guy from Hinton was looking for some advice about the Calgary courses for AB Open... I haven't played there for years. Maybe you can help him out...

All I can say is make sure you take a couple stupid overstable discs from your stash in case the winds blowing it was always some kind of windy when I played there..

Im lacking a bit in that area actually. Might have to pick up an ESP force tonight to practice a bit. MY vulture is first run and not crazy stable, pred is beat to hell, I have a max weight z wasp new and Z FLX Zone that gets a lot of work. Would a drone be worth investing in? There's one for sale where Im heading tonight.