• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Canadian Disc Golfers Corner or from Canada eh

Im lacking a bit in that area actually. Might have to pick up an ESP force tonight to practice a bit. MY vulture is first run and not crazy stable, pred is beat to hell, I have a max weight z wasp new and Z FLX Zone that gets a lot of work. Would a drone be worth investing in? There's one for sale where Im heading tonight.

I wouldn't bother with a Drone you are probably fine with a Wasp/Zone best off with something you can't usually throw in driver class. I have a soft spot for ESP Forces but I'm not sure if it's proper ahem advice :) mines been a great wind fighter.

I throw a lighter weight Firebird actually it's an FL (old candy pro is an FL) at 160g it's been a bag staple for me when I need reliable BH distance in the wind, thumber or FH.

Im lacking a bit in that area actually. Might have to pick up an ESP force tonight to practice a bit. MY vulture is first run and not crazy stable, pred is beat to hell, I have a max weight z wasp new and Z FLX Zone that gets a lot of work. Would a drone be worth investing in? There's one for sale where Im heading tonight.

Seeing as I just played in a real windy event I can give you some insight. My wasp was even turning over a bit into a stiff headwind but it was decent for straight shots. The drone is a great Disc, the only problem is it has a lot of glide for an OS disc, so it can get carried quite off course in a cross wind.

The zone was my workhorse and did great, especially on a couple head wind putts.

The force is a nice choice for a headwind driver that still nets respectable distance.

Honorable mentionables I would say the machete works great for that OS utility driver spot aswell. I use it how most people use their firebirds.

Also, don't hesistate to lay up close to the basket for easy pars or bogey saves. Youd be surprised how many strokes you can pick up on people taking par while other people double bogey in the wind.

There was a 20% off sale at the pharmacy that happens to be the only place to buy discraft (one other store sells innova but both stores are very limited) Anyway I picked up a bunch of new plastic that is either OoP or difficult to find for potential resale but among them are 3 hornets (2 flat topped elite Z opaque esp blended heavies and a 150 class clear Z with a big pop top) a max weight drone in fly dye z, a swirly ESP Force 170g and the craziest Wasp I've ever seen - It's got a crazy dome on it, the profile looks EXACTLY like a beaded drone - also in fly dye Z. I'm sure I"ll find something in the pile, and if the force works out I'll go grab the prettier (but oddly firm) swirly ESP max weight Force that's down there to even out coming down from 3500' above sea level.

Anyone know if there's a market for for the hornets or domed wasp? I hear the domey ones are a mixed bag and I'll throw it a couple times in a field to see how it flies but seriously its an anomoly lol.

The Hornet was alright especially for 400' players it fills a spot between your Wasp and Zone that you probably don't need, I found they responded poorly to torque at the time and the Wasp had better glide. Info outdated... it does make me curious about that 150 though, that might do some cool s*** and if you like your Wasp you may have found a great backup.

I think you will find that light Force plenty beefy, they season in to magical... SEASON in!!! I love em for riding the wind though... but it might be real stable for the next 6 months.

Last edited:
The Hornet was alright especially for 400' players it fills a spot between your Wasp and Zone that you probably don't need, I found they responded poorly to torque at the time and the Wasp had better glide. Info outdated... it does make me curious about that 150 though, that might do some cool s*** and if you like your Wasp you may have found a great backup.

I think you will find that light Force plenty beefy, they season in to magical... SEASON in!!! I love em for riding the wind though... but it might be real stable for the next 6 months.

I have an old X Force that's BEAT. Like I mean there's actually a huge chunk taken out of the wing and it still flies pretty beefy so I'm pickin up what you're throwin down lol I threw the drone last night on a dogleg L to R, just a nice hyzer line uphill a bit that caries forward about 50-60 feet after getting around some trees. I couldn't believe the skip that thing has! Set me up for a nice birdy. I can throw that hole with any disc in my bag typically with similar result but it felt nice out of the hand, had a nice flight, and a big skip that carried it closer to the basket than I'm used to seeing typically. Think I'll be bagging it for a while to see what it can do. Not as OS as I was expecting - Holds an anny quite a while and doesnt fight out of a FH flex as quickly as I thought it might (Im working on some OAT FH issues ATM BTW). Threw one of the heavy hornets around a corner and it performed as expected. I think I'll take a nutsac sized bag with me today with the 150 hornet, maybe the max weight Hornet (to compare), Drone, Domed Wasp, Flat Wasp (to compare), ESP Force, ESP Vulture, First Run Z Vulture (to compare) and see if and where they fit in my game.

I also grabbed a couple of Buzzz's, one in X and one in Z (Ive only thrown ESP and Z FLX) that I'm curious to test out.

Anyone playing in the AB open next month in Calgary? Or has anyone got some experience with the 2 courses involved?

It'll be my first tournament unless I sneak one in prior somehow, and I've only played the Hinton course which only has a couple of open holes.

I won't have the opportunity to get to know the course prior and will be lucky if I even get to play it once before the tournament. Competing in MA2 btw.

I do field work in the mornings and can reliably drive fairways over 300 with speed 12/13 US going around 350 in the open and have no problems hitting 250+ on a golf line with a mid, 200-250 with a putter. Putting is 75% inside circle 1, 50% circle 2 and I can scramble like nobody's business and consistently park my approach shots when I'm not running at baskets.

That being said: Are there any tips to tackling the holes or courses in general that may avoid bogeys or snag birdies that I can keep in mind? Not so obvious lines or ways to approach the holes strategically?

I won't have the opportunity to play the course more than once or twice but could potentially play it for the first time in my first tournament (not just PDGA - period).

I just want to learn and see what the scene is like but a rating close to 900/parring the courses would be a smile maker for sure :)

Hey so that guy from Hinton was looking for some advice about the Calgary courses for AB Open... I haven't played there for years. Maybe you can help him out...

All I can say is make sure you take a couple stupid overstable discs from your stash in case the winds blowing it was always some kind of windy when I played there..

OK

Here to possibly answer some questions

1) I actually just secured $1000 added cash for the AO
2) Which courses are you supposed to be playing?

Lloyd?
Millarville?

I've also heard that Park 96 will be in play but for 55+

Anyway, let me know which courses you are on and I can give more insight. Feel free to send me a PM if you wish.

Calgary has been windy lately. Having something that can handle wind will help. But you'll need understable stuff as well as some holes will play down wind.

Lloyd is mostly long, somewhat open and not super technical. Based on the distances listed in that earlier post you will mostly be using a driver. Possibly 2-3 times a hole.
Wind can be an issue at Lloyd.

Millarville. I haven't played in years. The course is basically closed but occasionally comes out of retirement. More of a mix of holes here. Many shorter ones (less than 250) but a few longer open holes.

Basically have a good bag set up

Driving putter for some drives and approaches (I use a Swan 2 and a KC Aviar). Your Zone will be good here but maybe something straighter as well.
Mids: I use a beat to snot Classic Hard Suspect, a Lucid Suspect, Mako3, 2 Truths, and an Anvil. Your Zone sort of sneaks in here as well. The Wasp will work here.
Fairways: I use Maverick, Spark, Sidewinder, Thunderbird, and Firebird
Drivers: Shrykes and a Destroyer is what I currently have

My advice would be to play smart and within yourself. In your division you win not by making the most good shots but my making the least mistakes.

Don't try to drive too far. Drive for a controlled placement that leaves you a good upshot. Put your upshot close to the basket. Take your par and move on.

If you Par at Lloyd you will likely be in the mix.

I would advise playing Lloyd once before the tournament.

OK

Here to possibly answer some questions

1) I actually just secured $1000 added cash for the AO
2) Which courses are you supposed to be playing?

Lloyd?
Millarville?

I've also heard that Park 96 will be in play but for 55+

Anyway, let me know which courses you are on and I can give more insight. Feel free to send me a PM if you wish.

Calgary has been windy lately. Having something that can handle wind will help. But you'll need understable stuff as well as some holes will play down wind.

Lloyd is mostly long, somewhat open and not super technical. Based on the distances listed in that earlier post you will mostly be using a driver. Possibly 2-3 times a hole.
Wind can be an issue at Lloyd.

Millarville. I haven't played in years. The course is basically closed but occasionally comes out of retirement. More of a mix of holes here. Many shorter ones (less than 250) but a few longer open holes.

Basically have a good bag set up

Driving putter for some drives and approaches (I use a Swan 2 and a KC Aviar). Your Zone will be good here but maybe something straighter as well.
Mids: I use a beat to snot Classic Hard Suspect, a Lucid Suspect, Mako3, 2 Truths, and an Anvil. Your Zone sort of sneaks in here as well. The Wasp will work here.
Fairways: I use Maverick, Spark, Sidewinder, Thunderbird, and Firebird
Drivers: Shrykes and a Destroyer is what I currently have

My advice would be to play smart and within yourself. In your division you win not by making the most good shots but my making the least mistakes.

Don't try to drive too far. Drive for a controlled placement that leaves you a good upshot. Put your upshot close to the basket. Take your par and move on.

If you Par at Lloyd you will likely be in the mix.

I would advise playing Lloyd once before the tournament.

Gotta play both, 3 rounds.

Well I got some good practice in in Red Deer and Rundle Park in Edmonton. I came very close to par for the 18 holes, few bogeys, couple birdies, a lot of pars.

In Red Deer at victoria park theres is a hole that is listed as 530ish ft, and google maps agrees. I was able to consistently get within short approach / long putting distance from the Tee. There's no what in hell Im driving 500' is there? I didnt have udisc on me at the time.. .

Is this a common thing? Are holes usually estimated lengths or something? I see so many people casually stating that they drive 450+ but I have to wonder where those numbers are coming from sometimes lol

Having not seen you throw I don't know if you can throw 500'

If you can you are likely in elite level. There are only a few touring pros with that type of distance. But hey, some people are gifted.

If you are throwing 500' MA2 is probably not the correct level for you. My guess is that most people in Alberta playing that division are maxing at the 300-350 range

Hole distances can be incorrect and can vary depending on if they used a wheel to measure or a laser range finder and whether the hole has elevation loss/gain.

With 500' power I would not expect "near par" (which I assume to be slightly over) at Rundle in a non-tournament lay out.

Some people just eyeball it... our teepad have been around for 30yrs.. Someone measured 6yrs ago when they repainted.. Distances got a lot shorter at least 50' haha :)

Sorry bud but without seeing it.. Just a blind guess.. No offence intended.. I bet that hole is 400'

Last edited:
Most courses I have played seem to be totally off regarding distance sometimes by 50+ft. People don't take elevation changes into account either.

Unless it's a real legit gold level course or a proper facility. I would take it with a grain of salt.

Udisc distances are typically 300-350 which seems more likely / realistic to me, but also typically thrown on golf lines. I don't really care about distance as much as being able to shape shots well but now that I've seen some longer holes I see the definite advantage of having an extra 50' of distance in your back pocket.

So seeing as there's several methods of measurement being used what is considered the most accurate/standard method in order to track progress or diagnose form flaws that affect distance?

Udisc distances are typically 300-350 which seems more likely / realistic to me, but also typically thrown on golf lines. I don't really care about distance as much as being able to shape shots well but now that I've seen some longer holes I see the definite advantage of having an extra 50' of distance in your back pocket.

So seeing as there's several methods of measurement being used what is considered the most accurate/standard method in order to track progress or diagnose form flaws that affect distance?

I like a tape measure.. The 200ft ones.. It's always sad when I tape out my drives though.. Haha. Laser rangefinder is on the wish list though.

I like a tape measure.. The 200ft ones.. It's always sad when I tape out my drives though.. Haha. Laser rangefinder is on the wish list though.

Got back to that course, turns out it was closer to 350' by udisc. Makes sense, the basket was up on a hill so they must have measured on the ground with a wheel or tape. That's what I had figured based on my typical distances of 350+- with neutral discs on a hyzer-flip but have never tried to validate udisc for accuracy. It's so rare that I get to play an open course or even see the entire flight of a disc to have a good sense of yardage unless I get up at 6am and hit the park with my dog. At that time only fools with dogs or drug habits are awake and active so I don't usually get there in time working night shifts. I don't think I've ever even seen a proper football field with yard lines painted to use as a standard so maybe a rangefinder would be handy to remedy that lol.

Hey how did that tourney in Calgary go for you?

Less than a month to go until our tournament, I ordered some custom glow minis to try and make a few bucks.. I hope they get in the mail soon.

Awesome, good luck!

It's on May long weekend so haven't played yet. Certain I'll choke. Hard. But that's ok. I was a performing solo musician for years so I try not to sweat a crowd. Been practicing my open hole drives in Red Deer at Victoria Park and set up a makeshift basket in my hallway to throw a few every time I pass at 20 ft, plus a basket I made form things laying around in the back yard for a daily session for 30 minutes or more if Im into it and still shooting well.

It does surprise me how intuitively I'm able to throw in the open considering the tight spaces I always play it, but I can put my plasma amp within 20-30 feet almost every single time on holes upwards of 325 likely. When I do miss a drive it's no biggy because I scramble so much in the mountain woods that placement shots are second nature. Just gotta dial in the entropy to replace the zone and I think I'll do decently as long as I play smart and dont take unnecessary risks.

Oh Kofacks (spelling?) Says "hi", I played a round with him last week when we happened to get to the course at the same time and send along your greeting. He knew who I was talking about and blew his mind a little bit lol was fun to watch the confusion.

Awesome, good luck!

It's on May long weekend so haven't played yet. Certain I'll choke. Hard. But that's ok. I was a performing solo musician for years so I try not to sweat a crowd. Been practicing my open hole drives in Red Deer at Victoria Park and set up a makeshift basket in my hallway to throw a few every time I pass at 20 ft, plus a basket I made form things laying around in the back yard for a daily session for 30 minutes or more if Im into it and still shooting well.

It does surprise me how intuitively I'm able to throw in the open considering the tight spaces I always play it, but I can put my plasma amp within 20-30 feet almost every single time on holes upwards of 325 likely. When I do miss a drive it's no biggy because I scramble so much in the mountain woods that placement shots are second nature. Just gotta dial in the entropy to replace the zone and I think I'll do decently as long as I play smart and dont take unnecessary risks.

Oh Kofacks (spelling?) Says "hi", I played a round with him last week when we happened to get to the course at the same time and send along your greeting. He knew who I was talking about and blew his mind a little bit lol was fun to watch the confusion.

Haha that's awesome... I wonder if he's coming down.. Our tournament is the weekend after the May long it's Memorial day because some Americans have been coming for over 20yrs... funny how that happens! I'm sure he told you how awesome my place is.. Haha. He was here for the legendary first Margarita Open tourneys up here with " Da Clown".

Hey any of your other Canadians find that you "nice" everything unnecessarily?

And it looks like our tournament is the May long weekend hoooboy it's gonna be a gong show! Coincides with Memorial day this year.

Last edited:
Hey any of your other Canadians find that you "nice" everything unnecessarily?

And it looks like our tournament is the May long weekend hoooboy it's gonna be a gong show! Coincides with Memorial day this year.

Im for sure coming over for the Saturday + Sunday for the Bender. Still trying to figure out a way to weasel off of work for the Friday the 24th. Would be ideal to come over to the island Thursday after work.

Going to try and get my buddies to register me for the ball golf doubles aswell (we have missed out 2 years in a row due to being so busy).

Sounds like we've got an air b&b this time, as last time we camped at prior centennial which was decent, but the semi-hungover walk to the course was less than ideal!

Any new changes to the pender bender this year? Or just tradition as always?