• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Carter Park, Bowling Green, OH

ejvogie

Lifer
Premium Member
Since the course discussion subforum is so new and basically ignored, I'll drop this here:

The course has gone through a major redesign. Of the 18 former holes, 4 share the same fairways in the same direction (but hole lengths were changed), and 1 remains unchanged.

Instead of RIP and recreate, the hole details were edited. There have been no recorded rounds or reviews since the redesign.

I reported the course, suggesting the mods revert the details back to the previous layout, RIP the course and reviews, and create a new course using the details of the current layout.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a different course, and would (historically) be RIP'd and relisted.

Since the course discussion subforum is so new and basically ignored, I'll drop this here:

The course has gone through a major redesign. Of the 18 former holes, 4 share the same fairways in the same direction (but hole lengths were changed), and 1 remains unchanged.

Instead of RIP and recreate, the hole details were edited. There have been no recorded rounds or reviews since the redesign.

I reported the course, suggesting the mods revert the details back to the previous layout, RIP the course and reviews, and create a new course using the details of the current layout.

Thoughts?
I'm with this - RIP and re-list. It is not the same course, whole new flow directionally, holes are new, uses new parts of the park that weren't in use before, optimal parking is totally different (though leagues meet at the same spot and park at same spot that used to be halfway through the course but is now by hole 1).

The water tower lot was only optimal if you wanted to play the course in its intended order :ROFLMAO:

I normally started on old hole 8, use the shorties as a warmup

The water tower lot was only optimal if you wanted to play the course in its intended order :ROFLMAO:

I normally started on old hole 8, use the shorties as a warmup
I never once thought to do that, until they started hosting leagues there regularly a few years ago. Regardless - good point, it wasn't necessarily optimal. But it was the intended lot. The shift to the space that was in the middle of the course is definitely just plain better.

With only 4 fairways common with the previous layout, I say this is different enough to RIP and relist as new course. My threshold is half the course has different fairways.

I don't get to caught up in additional or tweaked tee/pin locations. They just create different layouts on the same course. Layouts may change over time. That doesn't necessarily make a new course in and of itself (IMHO).

A new course was not added. Feel free to add a new one here. If not, I can start one but will need to source the new information.

AH! Gotcha. Interesting issue, I wonder if we should create an evolution type, so we can say Course V1 (2020), Course V2 (2023).

AH! Gotcha. Interesting issue, I wonder if we should create an evolution type, so we can say Course V1 (2020), Course V2 (2023).
Interesting concept. I like it.

No need to "count versions" per se.

When a redesign is extensive enough such that the course gets RIP'd and replaced, just include the 1st year that design was playable at the end of the course name.

Joe Blow Park (1980) 🪦
Joe Blow Park (1997) 🪦
Joe Blow Park (2021)

Last edited:
Interesting concept. I like it.

No need to "count versions" per se.

When a redesign is extensive enough such that the course gets RIP'd and replaced, just include the 1st year that design was playable at the end of the course name.

Joe Blow Park (1980) 🪦
Joe Blow Park (1997) 🪦
Joe Blow Park (2021)
@greens

You know what would be interesting, given that? A feature allowing people to input extinct courses/layouts so that others can 'bag' them posthumously. I'm talking ancient shit that didn't even exist to record when DGCR was born.

Maybe, to limit duplicates(like Jim Bob remembers a course in Cedarville and inputs it into the site, but without much other info aside from install year and a vague description and hole 'estimates' ... and then Buck comes around and remembers that course as being in nearby Clarkston, and does the same), any course input via this feature would have to be confirmed by someone as having once existed or a few someones, via a vote feature?

If a course gets the necessary votes it goes up for people to mark as played or add more/more accurate info and photos.

So people from my area would, for example, be able to post up the 1980 version of Vienna Park (a 9 hole layout) and the current version could be modified to 2001 (an 18 hole layout that shares only one or two similar fairways).

The voting process could serve as a small interaction driver for the site, as well, depending how useful/popular that kind of 'library' of courses grows to be.

@greens

You know what would be interesting, given that? A feature allowing people to input extinct courses/layouts so that others can 'bag' them posthumously. I'm talking ancient shit that didn't even exist to record when DGCR was born.

Maybe, to limit duplicates(like Jim Bob remembers a course in Cedarville and inputs it into the site, but without much other info aside from install year and a vague description and hole 'estimates' ... and then Buck comes around and remembers that course as being in nearby Clarkston, and does the same), any course input via this feature would have to be confirmed by someone as having once existed or a few someones, via a vote feature?

If a course gets the necessary votes it goes up for people to mark as played or add more/more accurate info and photos.

So people from my area would, for example, be able to post up the 1980 version of Vienna Park (a 9 hole layout) and the current version could be modified to 2001 (an 18 hole layout that shares only one or two similar fairways).

The voting process could serve as a small interaction driver for the site, as well, depending how useful/popular that kind of 'library' of courses grows to be.
How about trying to get DGCR members to update all the existing courses, first?

Pretty sure DGCR lags behind U-Disc there, and it's probably worse in some regions than others.

Just my $0.02.

Latest posts