• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Central Coast Disc Golf - CCDG vids

Good to hear you're back up and running and cool you got some of your files back. $200 sounds pretty reasonable, especially for LA.

Well, I got it back today. One of the SSDs was bad. He was able to save some stuff, but it looks like the commentary files are corrupted :( 200 bucks down the drain. Hey at least my Fantasy football team made the Championships, that should pay for that lol.

He installed windows in the mechanical drive so I'm up and running.

Good news is the 2 videos I was personally working on are backup up on Youtube. I'll just have to re-do some commentary. Hopefully Paul is down.

Now to reinstall everything, and get back to work...

Great news Ian!

Of course you realize that our expectations of the commentary quality will be a lot higher now that you & Paul have had a rehearsal :D

$200 is pretty reasonable. Last time I had it done, the cost was several times that but they needed to disassemble the drive in a clean room and transfer the platters into a known good drive that was the same model as the damaged one. Since the drive contained source code that would take an estimated 1000 hours to recreate, it was much cheaper to try to get it off the original drive..

Glad it wasn't a total loss.

So, what are you using for backup now? I suggest a small NAS.

Drobo 5n is a solid starter NAS for a single user. If you have thunderbolt your options might open up a bit.

http://www.drobo.com/storage-products/5n/

We use SmallTree stuff at work but they are definitely overkill for a single user.

Jesus, those things are expensive.

My plan was to use google drive as my backup for important stuff. I can have the skype recording software save the files in the G Drive folder, which will auto backup as soon as it's done. I'm going to do the same with the Premiere projects, keep them all in a google drive folder. Video files I'll continue to backup on two externals.

Jesus, those things are expensive.

My plan was to use google drive as my backup for important stuff. I can have the skype recording software save the files in the G Drive folder, which will auto backup as soon as it's done. I'm going to do the same with the Premiere projects, keep them all in a google drive folder. Video files I'll continue to backup on two externals.
It may seem a bit expensive on the surface but that's actually pretty cheap to get into a NAS type setup... Our SmallTree was well over ~40k. But that supports 10+ editors all working off media at the same time via 10Gig ethernet.

I will say... it is 100% worth the money spent when you have a critical drive failure and you can be back up and running in 5 minutes. Time is money and those Drobo's are a great way to give yourself a little peace of mind.

I should note... and I'm not sure how Patreon works... but I'm thinking with the delay we've seen now that you have had your first hardware failure, some folks might be willing to chip in to make sure things like this don't happen in the future. ;~)

Well, I got it back today. One of the SSDs was bad. He was able to save some stuff, but it looks like the commentary files are corrupted :( 200 bucks down the drain. Hey at least my Fantasy football team made the Championships, that should pay for that lol.

He installed windows in the mechanical drive so I'm up and running.

Good news is the 2 videos I was personally working on are backup up on Youtube. I'll just have to re-do some commentary. Hopefully Paul is down.

Now to reinstall everything, and get back to work...

So Ian, how is it going with the Champs vs Chumps vids? Any youtube eta?

And does anyone ever make Jethro Tull cracks to you? ;)

Thanks for putting up the vids Ian, but I still think you should at least add bungle in the jungle as a subtitle. I was only 1 off Paul's score (-16 vs -15 actual), but was waaay off on you guys. At least you had him on the ropes after 2 ;)

I agree, start a gofundme for a NAS, cheap ones are only a couple of hundred. Be up front about it, show how much you take in and where it's applied. I would certainly donate.

BTW - Paul's hair, I like it; watching him casually whip the chumps, hilarious; his ability to know both his and your strokes, clearly he doesn't drink enough.

So Ian, how is it going with the Champs vs Chumps vids? Any youtube eta?

And does anyone ever make Jethro Tull cracks to you? ;)

haha good timing :)

Only every single teacher ever growing up :p It's a bit more rare these days. My parents said they were aware of him, but didn't name me after him.

We never make our Tull remarks when Ian is around. At least I don't.

:thmbup:

Oh ok, I was going to suggest he name the Champs vs Chumps vid "The Bungle in the Jungle" -- but guess I won't. ;)

I pretty much know Aqualung... and that's it. Maybe we'll name the rematch vid at DeLa that.

Thanks for putting up the vids Ian, but I still think you should at least add bungle in the jungle as a subtitle. I was only 1 off Paul's score (-16 vs -15 actual), but was waaay off on you guys. At least you had him on the ropes after 2 ;)

O man we all played soooo ****ty! Turns out it's pretty intimidating. I swear I'm not that bad... I shot an 8 down at Morley my very next round.

I agree, start a gofundme for a NAS, cheap ones are only a couple of hundred. Be up front about it, show how much you take in and where it's applied. I would certainly donate.

I'll get on it! Thanks!

BTW - Paul's hair, I like it; watching him casually whip the chumps, hilarious; his ability to know both his and your strokes, clearly he doesn't drink enough.

It was funny, and embarrassing as hell lol. Pretty sure he drinks not at all.

just watched this... good lord. it's kind of depressing that this is a casual round for him...

SWEET I've been waiting for Champ vs. Chumps.

Gonna have to pick up some extra tasty brews on the way home for maximum enjoyment.

Latest posts