• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte, NC - here I come

I will be in Charlotte for 2 days 3rd week in September and will be able to play 2 courses a day. So my question is, if you had to only play 6 courses in the Charlotte area which ones would it be. I'm thinking (in no particular order). Also, any advice on what courses are pretty near each other so I could hit those up in the same day would be greatly appreciatied.

1) Renny
2) Winthrop
3) Elon
4) Nevin
5) Hornet's Nest
6) Miscellaneous??

I'd say:
Hornet's Nest
Nevin
Elon
Renny
Kilborne/Reedy Creek
RL Smith (this is going to be a good one, a little rough right now though)

Definitely recommend Ashe and Highland Hills, and Sugaree is tha bomb.

I will be in Charlotte for 2 days 3rd week in September and will be able to play 2 courses a day. So my question is, if you had to only play 6 courses in the Charlotte area which ones would it be. I'm thinking (in no particular order). Also, any advice on what courses are pretty near each other so I could hit those up in the same day would be greatly appreciatied.

1) Renny
2) Winthrop
3) Elon
4) Nevin
5) Hornet's Nest
6) Miscellaneous??

I'd say in no particular order

1) Renny
2) The Scrapyard (Idlewild Park)
3) Reedy Creek
4) Nevin
5) Hornet's Nest
6) Bradley Center & Rankin Lake (although Rankin may be closed in September, we're still waiting on the powers that be to start construction)

Right there near Johnson City is Warriors Path (27 holes, great course) and Fossil Hill (Private course, high quality.) I would highly recommend both of these.

Mars Hill and Richmond Hill are great too, but if you've already played them (the new Richmond hill, est ~2006) then the others might be a better bet.

Depends on what kind of courses you like too. If you're not used to long thick unforgiving courses, Nevin might be more a chore than anything else. Also, I'd recommend the city courses (Hornets, Kilborn, Renny, etc) for Monday, as they can be quite crowded (disc golfers and other park-patrons) on Sundays. Seems like all five times I've posted, I've recommended Stumpy. So I'll recommend: Stumpy (Mooresville). Also - Richmond Hill and Hickory are the only courses I'd recommend off of I-40 (don't bother with Morganton, Marion, Statesville). If Charlotte courses wear you out (no shame there), Yadkinville isn't too far off your line of travel and it's a chill but nice course.
Have a blast.

Harmon Hills in the Johnson City area is in my Top 5.
Ashe County is probably also in my Top 5.

Although the problem with both of those courses, from a road trip standpoint, is they're day killers... 3 hour rounds and isolated.
DSCJNKY

Thanks for the GREAT feedback friends.

I will keep all of this in mind during our trip.

Thanks again!!!

What other courses are must plays as we traverse from Johnson City to Charlotte?

Johnson City? A buddy and I just headed up that way over Memorial Day weekend, playing 10 courses in 3 days. I thought there were a couple really good courses in the JC-area - Warriors Path & Winged Deer. Throw in what I've heard about Harmon, and if Steele Creek in Bristol ever becomes 18 holes, and you've got a great batch of courses in your region

Latest posts