• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Charlotte, NC - here I come

cmcolomb

Double Eagle Member
So I am embarking on a road trip with a bud this weekend.. Memphis to Knoxville, then Kville onward. We are eventually hitting the mecca of Charlotte (likely for 1.5 days) and probably driving from Kville to Johnson City, then south to CLT (Sugaree and Elk are looking promising). So far in my research, I have determined Hornets Nest, Renaissance, and Nevin are must plays in the Charlotte area.

What other courses are must plays as we traverse from Johnson City to Charlotte?

The end plan is for him to continue driving, while I grab a one way back home (work, bleh) out of Fayetteville..

Ashe County, apparently.....I get my first peek at it in a few weeks, but it certainly has that reputation.

wow - Ashe looks killer.. a little off our route but I will certainly mention it to the driver.

and, yes, Fox will likely be our last course as we make our way to Fayetteville!

Thanks for the feedback

If you are taking 26 s from JC to 40 I would hit Mars Hill or Richmond Hill. I prefer Mars Hill due to RH having alot of the same valley shots. However if you cut across the mountains to Sugaree and are coming down 321afterward to 85 I would play Hickory or Rakin Lake in Gastonia.

We played Mars and Richmond a few years back... mmmmm I love me some Mars Hill, great course.

Glen C and Rankin are on the list of potential plays.

The weather is kinda sketchin me out a little, supposedly scattered showers all this weekend - any locals care to comment on the validity of TWC? I am hoping yall are like Memphis where the weather changes hourly ;)

We played Mars and Richmond a few years back... mmmmm I love me some Mars Hill, great course.

Glen C and Rankin are on the list of potential plays.

The weather is kinda sketchin me out a little, supposedly scattered showers all this weekend - any locals care to comment on the validity of TWC? I am hoping yall are like Memphis where the weather changes hourly ;)

When I made my trip there the forecast wasn't that great..

It didn't rain the entire time.:popcorn:

When are you getting to Charlotte? Lots of courses closed this weekend due to a tournament. Or is that why you're coming?

The plan is to be in Charlotte for most of Sunday and Monday... did we pick a bad weekend? What tourneys?

The K -ah- K i mean CAC (Charlotte AM Champ) they are using most of the courses in Charlotte At least the good ones.

We have been getting little 15 minute (if that) showers per day and some thunder but nothing that is for a long period of time. That's Hickory. I think the mountains have gotten a little more rain

well, balls, that CAC really throws a wrinkle in the plan... a huge wrinkle

Here's Sunday's schedule for CAC. It looks like you could play Renny and Elon on Sunday then the rest on Monday. Renny and Elon (both) is all you'll need in one day
Round 3 (Sun Am)
A Nevin Short Tees
B Nest Original
C Sugaw
D&E Kilborne - "Clash Layout"

Round 4 (Sun Pm)
A Nest Original
B Nevin Short Tees
C Kilborne - "Clash Layout"
D&E Sugaw

Angry Beaver and it's sister course are worth playing....and appear to not be in use for CAC. Squirrel Lake is worth a visit. Highland Hills is a very fun play if you're in that area.

Right. Renny and Elon are being used on Saturday for the tournament. But if the OP isn't arriving until Sunday, he is all good to play those on that day, then hit Hornet's and Nevin on Monday.

You might want to play both Renny "Gold" and Renny "Black", or you may not. They used to diverge, but now lay directly on top of each other. Many holes have two very different tees, and many have two very different baskets, thus the Gold and Black. A guide or up-to-date map is very helpful.

Renny plus both Elon is a pretty full day for most, but if you want to go turbo, you could add Scrapyard which is sorta on the same side of town. New, but surprisingly broken-in-ish. I reckon most will think it is better than the aforementioned Squirrel Lake. (I don't think Scrapyard was done last time tallpaul visited.)

Last edited:
If you are a fan of the USDGC, it's worth going down to Winthrop to play the course. Yes, the Gold Course tees and baskets are always set up. No, there is no rope, but you still get the idea. Rock Hill is a very short trip from Renny.

But many people would not do this at the expense of Renny, Hornet's, Nevin, or Elon.

To go along with the aforementioned Scrapyard, which I really liked, another new course in Charlotte is R L Smith, which I can't really comment on as I haven't played it yet. There's also Stumpy Creek up to the north of town, and we have a new course here in Gastonia to go along with Rankin Lake, Bradley Center DGC.

As for your NC Mountain discin', I highly recommend Sugaree, but wouldn't bother with Elk Mountain. You'd be better off heading over to Ashe County either before or after Sugaree.

I will be in Charlotte for 2 days 3rd week in September and will be able to play 2 courses a day. So my question is, if you had to only play 6 courses in the Charlotte area which ones would it be. I'm thinking (in no particular order). Also, any advice on what courses are pretty near each other so I could hit those up in the same day would be greatly appreciatied.

1) Renny
2) Winthrop
3) Elon
4) Nevin
5) Hornet's Nest
6) Miscellaneous??

Latest posts