• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cheating in the junior division...

Why do people not beleive the guy? I could see where this would happen and dont see any advantage of creating a story on here. Sounds just like a vent turned into a learning experience to me.

I guess the lesson is stand up for yourself and don't let DBs ruin your round.

All you had to do was talk to the TD or one of the open players there and it would have got solved.

I can't believe someone in a tourny would put up with the scorer guessing their scores, but its been awhile since I was 13 as well

I guess the lesson is stand up for yourself and don't let DBs ruin your round.

All you had to do was talk to the TD or one of the open players there and it would have got solved.

I can't believe someone in a tourny would put up with the scorer guessing their scores, but its been awhile since I was 13 as well

I can see how this would have been difficult for the OP. It's not like he had rock solid evidence that he could point to. It was his word against the cheater's word. Combine that with the OP's desire not to make a scene and the cheater having no compunction about making a scene and it would look like OP was being a sore loser.

This kind of thing would make me sad as an adult watching the sport. The guys around here that try to get kids involved really put in a lot of hours.

i've only played one tournament but i kept my own score. if someone gets mad over that then they can bite me.

and if i thought something was fishy, i'd keep their scores as well and match it to the scorecard keeper after every hole.

i don't want to make anyone mad at me, but i'd risk making someone uncomfortable to keep things legit.

having said that, everyone seemed very honest that i played with and i'd guess that is generally the case. i hope that cheating is not very common in tournaments.

Just read it....

You should have called the kid out. Not rudely, but I'm talking about after the round with the TD and Tournament Hosts around. ESPeCIALLY!!!! if that much cheating was going on.

If not, they'll never learn, and those will be the ones cheating in the next Rec, Int, and Adv. division.

Completely Lame!!!!

Besides.....miscounted scores and scoring the card wrong costs everyone on the card 2 strokes in the end because it's a penalty.

EVERYONE is responsible for the card and the scores kept on it. It's your duty as a disc golfer to make sure everything is cool with the card for YOUR protection and EVERYONE else on the card.

(I speak from personal experience. I was docked 2 strokes my first tourney because the dude wasn't keeping score right):wall::wall::wall: (...but technically...it's my own fault as well)

having said that, everyone seemed very honest that i played with and i'd guess that is generally the case. i hope that cheating is not very common in tournaments.

The higher the division you play, the less cheating goes on. Whether it be not marking lies, stepping out from lie, scoring problems, etc etc etc. The list goes on and on and on. You just run into less tomfoolery.

And no, that doesn't go for most rec and below players. Most disc golfers are very honest and expect others to play the same.

Just read it....

You should have called the kid out. Not rudely, but I'm talking about after the round with the TD and Tournament Hosts around. ESPeCIALLY!!!! if that much cheating was going on.

If not, they'll never learn, and those will be the ones cheating in the next Rec, Int, and Adv. division.

Completely Lame!!!!

Besides.....miscounted scores and scoring the card wrong costs everyone on the card 2 strokes in the end because it's a penalty.

EVERYONE is responsible for the card and the scores kept on it. It's your duty as a disc golfer to make sure everything is cool with the card for YOUR protection and EVERYONE else on the card.

(I speak from personal experience. I was docked 2 strokes my first tourney because the dude wasn't keeping score right):wall::wall::wall: (...but technically...it's my own fault as well)

I was seriously going to say something to the TD, but the cheater "lost" the scorecard so not only did I not have proof that he wrote down the correct scores, but I didn't have anything to proove that he even wrote down ANY scores. And like I said, we all should have gotten disqualified, but I was lucky enough to get any payout at all.

@ eye-ball-sac - Ignore everyone that's busting on you and take away the good advise. Sometimes people forget what it's like to be a teen and to not have all the angles worked out at that age. There were some good suggestions in here about keeping shadow score, speaking up when things are hinky, and talking to the TD. Keep a cool head on your shoulders and follow this advise and you'll be better prepared if this ever happens again.

Get a friend to play with you, you can tag team on total DBaggers. Unless there are 3 of them...

if you go to your TD and express genuine concern about this, and he is worth his salt and cares about facilitating positive growth in the sport, he's going to say something to the kid, i promise you. you shouldn't have to deal with that crap ALREADY.

This!

Even if you can't prove anything. Always tell the TD. Whether the event is sanctioned or not, or even just league play. If it is a PDGA event, the TD can make a note on their report. Then if someone else has a problem in the future, there is a record of this past behavior.

It's tough enough to ask adults to self-enforce rules. It's nonsensical to expect juniors to do it. They are expected (or at least allowed) to be childish, immature, and incapable of acting responsibly 100% of the time.

There should be an responsible adult official with every group. Not just to make sure they play right, but more importantly, to make sure they are kept safe. Safe from each other, and from any other dangers on the course.

Steve WEst : Or just let them work it out, it's not like there is huge money at stake or it was a world championship or something. Maybe the kids even learn something from it.

On topic : that's why you always carry the rule book with you.

Latest posts