• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Check out this lie

art_vandelay

Eagle Member
My partner threw this shot playing doubles last night. My shot was behind his by about 100 feet, but his was pin high, but almost in the street. We got a good laugh from the one blade of grass that saved us. Missed the birdie putt. :doh:

IMG00058-20130708-1831.jpg

A blade of grass can't save you from being OB. That's like saying a tree branch hanging over water can save you.

But if it's a casual round, play by whatever rules you like.

We consider it in bounds if it is touching any least part of fairway, including one blade of grass. I always thought that was the correct rule, but maybe not given comments. Way to burst my bubble guys!!!

Pssh.

In our league, touching something in-bounds is in-bounds. Take your meter free relief and drain that sucker! :p

*builds pillow fort to protect from incoming hate*

I'm going to have to go look up the rule. Looks like we are doing it wrong.

It's hard to tell from that picture, but it looks like a poorly-defined line.

I believe the part of the rule you want to look up is that O.B. is a vertical plane. Assuming the road is defined as O.B., then the edge of the road would create a vertical plane, and beyond it is O.B. If the course rule or T.D.'s rule was that the grass/road border was the line, you might be okay.

You need a clear determination of the OB line. A blade of grass cannot be that line because it can be easily moved by footsteps or disc contact. A moving OB line is very very bad.

So the OB line instead would be the edge of the pavement, regardless of how individual blades of grass might be hanging over it.

the question is how many penalty strokes do you get for misplaying your lie?

You need a clear determination of the OB line. A blade of grass cannot be that line because it can be easily moved by footsteps or disc contact. A moving OB line is very very bad.

So the OB line instead would be the edge of the pavement, regardless of how individual blades of grass might be hanging over it.

That is why we thought this was so funny. I said that if the wind blew, we would be OB so we'd better hurry up and putt. The road is out of bounds, but the line is not straight because the grass is not trimmed straight. I'm going to ask the course captain how we should be playing it next time I see him. It certainly was a source of amusement last night. Maybe I'm just easily amused.

In bounds. Touching grass.

Is that a serious post based on PDGA rules or are you making fun of all the people who make up rules that aren't actually in the rule book?

The OB line isn't defined by what a disc is touching, it's where it sits in relation to the vertical plane defined by the ob line. If the ob line is the edge of the road, grass hanging over that line is irrelevant.

Latest posts