• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Check this out, is the intensity of this overstabillity normal?

It looks to have the same directional rotation as a forehand? Was the disc upside down or something?

Basically he threw a thumber at a low arm slot that made it look like a FH, but essentially yes the disc was upside down.

At 27:58 he throws the same shot, and you can see more clearly it's a low thumber.

For the record, is there a difference between throwing a low arm slot thumber and throw a forehand shot with the disc upside down?

interesting... I've never thought to throw that shot and never seen anyone do it either... come to think of it, most of those I play with are either bh or fh and very seldom throw any tommies or thumbers... with the exception of tallpaul who throws a lot of overhand...

I dunno... doesn't seem like a great shot *shrug*

Its pretty useful if you need a quick flex shot that would require alot of touch with an overstable disc forehand. Also it makes it where people who dont feel comfortable with a forehand could throw a thumber instead. Also is usefull for quick skip shots to grt out of trouble

Its pretty useful if you need a quick flex shot that would require alot of touch with an overstable disc forehand. Also it makes it where people who dont feel comfortable with a forehand could throw a thumber instead. Also is usefull for quick skip shots to grt out of trouble
A lot of touch? Touch is a term I reserve for flippy discs and putters. For overstable discs, ease off the gas and the overstability does all the work, a nice predictable fade. I reiterate, useless shot.

Last edited:
Actually it seemed quite effective. My XXX would probably need hyzer and to be thrown out wider to get that kind of hard horizontal skip (with that short of a throw).

However, it's not clear to me whether or not that skip was the disc itself, or if it hit something.

If I throw hard at the ground with slight hyzer, forehand, the ensuing skip should be a hard banking right skip if executed properly. My TR mold Champion TeeRex is the best mold at performing this trick, but the Opto XXX is no slouch neither.

Actually it seemed quite effective. My XXX would probably need hyzer and to be thrown out wider to get that kind of hard horizontal skip (with that short of a throw).

However, it's not clear to me whether or not that skip was the disc itself, or if it hit something.

If I air out my XXX with hyzer, it hunts the ground with a vengeance.

Just because there's more than one way to accomplish a shot doesn't make one of the possible methods useless. Schwebby and Matt Dollar use hook thumbers quite frequently with a great deal of success, so it's obviously not a useless shot.

^ agreed. Not only that, but I highly doubt that you can throw nearly as hard and get such a hard turn with your fh. It's the same concept as throwing your disc upside down on windy days for putts. It just acts way more os on the finish. You can't get that hard of a finish at such a short distance with any other shot IMO. The skip is entirely different.

Def not a useless shot! A) like said above, the skip is completely different. Low, angled thumbers get lots of usefull action after the face skips off the ground. B) throwing a thumber is much more like throwing a baseball than a disc, and IMO yields a much larger margin of error.
You cant "turn a thumber over" by putting too much on it. If you grip lock, or it slips out, it will still go the general direction you were aiming. Being an overhand throw (like a baseball) the 'aiming' of your release is more north and south than it is east and west. Again, part of the reason its more forgiving of a shot.

This is a shot that I use a ton since I don't have a forehand. I am very confident in the shot and it saves me from learning any sort of forehand.

I can do the same thing with a right-side-up Champion TeeRex or Opto XXX... Talk about a useless shot.

Maybe for you or the courses you play on, but I wouldn't discount the shot altogether. Schwebby is, I assume, a much better player than you and he uses those funky thumpers for just about everything and does it well (especially in the woods. He is incredibly precise with his overhands). Maybe try and learn from someone who has been playing a lot longer than you.