• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Colorado Trip x2

srm_520

Double Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Okay - here's the plan. In about a week and a half I have 2 days to play golf in Colorado in about a 14 day vacation. Since the actual trip is in Cheyenne, Wyoming I plan on hitting the three Cheyenne courses when I can:

Dry Creek Parkway DGC
Mylar Park
Ramero Park

But, as I say, my wife is letting me enjoy the luxury of making two trips into Colorado and I want to make the most of it - so here is the plan. (Courses are in the order I want to play them and yes I plan on trying to start playing at the butt crack of dawn each time)

Trip 1:
Sundance Trail Ranch DGC
Beaver Meadows (x2)
Cache La Poudre Jr. High (maybe x2)
Edora Park

I think trip #1 is pretty solid, and I think my only slow up may be at Edora and actually if I had to drop something it would be the additional round at Cache or Edora all together. So, in the first trip I'm looking at being on Sundance after sunrise and playing 81-90 holes.

Trip 2:
Phantom Falls
Beaver Ranch/Conifer (x2)
Bird's Nest Disc Park
Johnny Roberts
Camenisch Park - Badlands

Okay Trip 2 is all out since it will probably be towards the end my vacation, so I can afford to destroy my arm for a few weeks. Here are the rubs and I'm looking for the Camgolfers and DGTourists out there for some advice. Obviously Phantom Falls and Conifer are the highlights of this trip (the owner of Phantom Falls already contacted me, and is very cool) and so I want to play them first and enjoy the heck out of them.

Conifer gets so much talk that I'm seriously considering playing it twice and maybe cutting out Bird's Nest. Is this a good idea, or should I hit Conifer once and try to get in a round at Bird's Nest. The more I look at Johnny Roberts, the more I want to play it, and I figure I'll only play the Badlands unless I meet some people by chance who know the Blair Witch Project course and then possibly add that.

If I played everything (Conifer x2 and no Blair Witch) I would be trying to play 130 holes. Too much? If I cut out Bird's Nest it goes down to 106 plus driving time and stopping time which seems more manageable in my head. Or cut out the second round at Conifer and play Brid's Nest which would put the daily tally at 110.

Okay, there is it. I would be happy to hear any of your suggestions and/or thoughts on the subject.

Having played both... I'd suggest 1 Beaver Ranch and 1 Bird's Nest. Get the chance to see two courses. But having said that I think Beaver Ranch is the better course between the two.

Or just find someone who will stick me with Cortisone shots each time I go out! Nothing like juicing up before a round. ;)

Thanks for thinking of me. BTW let me know when you are out and I will guide you. The latter pt 2. of your trip are the courses near my house. I have not played Phantom Falls so I would be down to try something new. As far as Conifer goes- YES! You hear a lot about this course but it truely is one of the best courses around. It kicked my butt twice this weekend, but in a good way. Plan on this course taking about 1 hour 45 mins to play with the walk to the first hole from the parking lot. Here are the pros and cons of the other courses you listed:

Johnny Roberts- Pros: Use different shots in your bag, you don't need a huge arm, tight technical windows and some interesting shots. Nice green park. Cons- Can get very busy at times (but I guess that means it is good), heavy pedestrain traffic can cause back ups.

Bird's Nest- Pros: Can open up a little more here, Dedicated DG course, always being updated and improved. Cons: Needs more trees and better signage, can get hot, bring water.

Badlands- Pros: Some tight shots, some big bomb shots, fun downhill shots. Blair witch back 9 is thick and tight. Cons: every other shot is uphill and then down hill so it is a lot of walking.

I like Edora and CLP as well. Those are fun to play in the same day. Edora can get busy at times too. CLP is very short, but it is fun.

If you are closer to Denver and are trying to figure out which courses to play which day. Going North to south it may be best to Hit Badlands, Johnny, then Bird's Nest and then Conifer and Phantom. The last two are in the mountains and take a little bit of driving to get to. You can drive from Badlands to Johnny in about 10 minutes and then its about 15 minustes to get to Bird's nest. From there its about 45 mins to Conifer.

PM me if you ahve any more ?s

I would also gladly meet up with you at some point on the denver bound trip. help guide a few of the courses. If I was trying to hit all the courses. I would either start at dawn already at phantom or go north to south(see above). If I had to take a roundout to fit it in I would only do one round at conifer. if I was still hurting on time I would take out either badlands or johnny roberts depending on what time of day it was at that point. PM me with the dates once you know them and hopefully we can meet up

Interesting thoughts - since I'm coming from Cheyenne - I was planning on driving way early and starting at Phantom and working my way back of north. I was thinking of Phantom by 7 and Conifer around 9. That way I can do the other courses around 12ish to 6ish and be on the north side of town to drive home.

I'm actually looking forward to the high dry heat over the Houston 95+ and humid it has been lately. Also, I think I would skip Blair Witch unless you want to play that with me since you know it. I heard it's basically impossible to follow for the first timer. So you do think Bird's Nest is worth the stop?

I prefer bird's nest over badlands but both are solid courses so it six of one half a dozen of another type of situation. if you are going south to north it makes the most sense to go from conifer to bird's to Johnny Robert's finishing at badlands if you still have time. If I am available that day I will glady help guide you on any or all of these three denver courses. Have fun at CLP on day one as well. I got my first ace there on hole 7 about ten years ago.

My
2c.gif
, but I enjoyed Badlands better than Bird's Nest, and definitely more than Roberts.

It took me a long time to finally play Johnny, and I was always told how cool it was, and when I did play it I was very surprised at how short and crowded it turned out to be.

It took me a long time to finally play Johnny, and I was always told how cool it was, and when I did play it I was very surprised at how short and crowded it turned out to be.

it all depends on what time you go. Many times I just will go over to another course becasue I know it will be super busy. However, when you do get there at the right time it is a fun 45 minute round. There are some short holes but also a few technical holes that make up for the easy ones. before they changed the course a few years ago hole 9 made it worth the wait on a busy day. Maybe the people who told you about it had played the old course before they had changed it.

Badlands and birds nest are both longer newer courses that i love playing, but Johnny is one of the older courses around here that i believe is worth playing once just to have played it. So yeah there is probably a good chunk of nostalgia in my preference of it.

Well, I still haven't played badlands so that comparison doesn't compute for me but I'd rater play Birds Nest. I did like the creekside holes though, they were pretty fun. I guess I want a little bit more D and Johnny.

Bird's nest has more D than Johnny, but Badlands probably has more D than Bird's nest.

IMO I rate them as:

1. Johnny
2. Badlands
3. Bird's Nest

I like the technical shots. It is more risk reward. I don't have a big gun so it is harder for me to play the longer course. With the addition of the Blair Witch at Badlands it added a technical side to the course. Badlands I think is the first real disc course I ever played so there is a certain sentimental value. Bird's Nest is a newer course with expanding potential. I like playing Johnny in the morning. I guess it depends on my mood at the time.

So basically what you're saying is - so many courses, so little time! :)

I think given all I have heard - (unless Conifer just blows me away and I just have to play a second round) I just play Conifer once and play Bird's Nest. Who knows though - if it's a good day maybe I'll just do it all!

I was the one who gave DGtourest the Johnny trip. I am a huge fan of Bird's nest. It has hidden gems that are different depending on how big of an arm you have. I play tags there and am amazed at the different challanges the 350 throwers have compared to me a 270 thrower. I also like the risk/reward you have to do at Johnny. I tried to tell DGTourist about the huge hyzer into 9 to take the creek out of play... but didn't do it very will and he hit the creek. He had a great annie however and kept the creek out on 4 which I dropped into. I love Blair Witch, but, I haven't played it yet with leaves on the trees! It is a lot of fun in the winter. Good luck and have fun!

Oh the leaves at Blair witch are nasty now. They have been doing a good job of keeping the field mowed back there so it is real nice.

I played bird's nest Thursday and John Bird had just mowed 23 and 24. So, hopefully by the time you get here it will all be mowed. Otherwise, you'd be upset with us, because it isn't up to its usual standards. It, is tough finding discs as overgrown as it was. I was playing with John and he said things like "I know I am going to slash up a few discs when I mow it." Like it is going to be soon. Another course that is fun, and close to all these is Red Rocks CC. I talked to the guy watering the flowers (to ask about when the sprinklers were going to be turned on). He said that next week they are changing around a bunch of holes and are thinking about adding another 9!

Interesting, and any excuse to get up to the Red Rocks area is a good one.

First concert ever - Dave Matthews Band live at Red Rocks. To this day - best concert ever.

Thanks!

Latest posts