• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I have a ESP Meteor, Z Meteor and a Z Buzzz SS in my bag. . how will a Z Comet fly compared with those discs?

Effortlessly. Those are both faster mids, they are more speed sensitive like drivers with more turn and fade. Comets are more neutral, they fly more like putters but will go as far as a mid because they have ridiculous glide. Put them on a line and they just keep going.

I used to throw Meteors and BuzzzSS but until I found the Comet I always freaked out when faced with a long and super narrow fairway. Comets are kind of ridiculous, they are the only disc I know of that has the accuracy of a slower category of discs without sacrificing distance.

Disclaimer: I don't throw very far. Bigger arms might have a different experience.

Sounds like a disc i have to try, i have a few holes on my lokal course that is just out of reach for my putters and have a super narrow fairway.

I don´t throw far at all, i use my mids in the 200-280 range.

If i want to try a Comet, which plastic should i try? i want something that goes straight and maybe turns slightly Right in the last 30% of its flight . . or just flighs strait and lands flat...i throw RHBH

If i want to try a Comet, which plastic should i try? i want something that goes straight and maybe turns slightly Right in the last 30% of its flight . . or just flighs strait and lands flat...i throw RHBH

I throw my mids closer to the 220-250 ft range, or a bit shorter if I want to power down, so I'm probably a little short of where you're at. For me, a 170g Big Z Comet is basically dead straight if I put some effort into it and don't throw it too high, and it will have some fade if I give it a lot of height.

A 170g X Comet is much less reliable when there's a little wind, it will fade less and also go super straight when powered down. If I really crank on it I might get a hint of turn but not much. I even use it for approaches where I would normally throw a putter but have to power down due to bad footing.

Sounds like a disc i have to try, i have a few holes on my lokal course that is just out of reach for my putters and have a super narrow fairway.

For what you are talking about. An "X" comet is the one!
Z can be too stable until beat in. X-Comets power down really well.

MJ tour series swirl glow esp comet. A hair flatter than my X comets and feels more like x plastic compared to the 2nd and 3rd run LE esp comets. Took em out for a few throws vs. 2nd esp, 3rd run esp, and an x-comet. Flies mostly like the x-comet. Sorry for crappy phone pic. Obtained at Bowling Green AMs discraft tent.
02e37e19b8648d1e8374fe05b7c3a47e.jpg

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

MJ tour series swirl glow esp comet. A hair flatter than my X comets and feels more like x plastic compared to the 2nd and 3rd run LE esp comets. Took em out for a few throws vs. 2nd esp, 3rd run esp, and an x-comet. Flies mostly like the x-comet. Sorry for crappy phone pic. Obtained at Bowling Green AMs discraft tent.
02e37e19b8648d1e8374fe05b7c3a47e.jpg

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Wow. Those look very nice. Any interest in trading one for an old Saturn stamp x or pro?

Effortlessly. Those are both faster mids, they are more speed sensitive like drivers with more turn and fade. Comets are more neutral, they fly more like putters but will go as far as a mid because they have ridiculous glide. Put them on a line and they just keep going.

I used to throw Meteors and BuzzzSS but until I found the Comet I always freaked out when faced with a long and super narrow fairway. Comets are kind of ridiculous, they are the only disc I know of that has the accuracy of a slower category of discs without sacrificing distance.

Disclaimer: I don't throw very far. Bigger arms might have a different experience.

The Shark is kind of similar especially domed Star, but the Shark is a tad overtstable where as the Comet is neutral. If powering down on both discs I mention.

The Shark is kind of similar especially domed Star, but the Shark is a tad overtstable where as the Comet is neutral. If powering down on both discs I mention.

I wanted the Shark to be a slightly overstable complement to the Comet, but the GStar Shark I got was just too overstable for me. I'm still looking for a disc that is about as overstable as a Buzzz but is less speed sensitive and nose angle sensitive.

I wanted the Shark to be a slightly overstable complement to the Comet, but the GStar Shark I got was just too overstable for me. I'm still looking for a disc that is about as overstable as a Buzzz but is less speed sensitive and nose angle sensitive.

What type of Comet are you throwing? Can you go up 4g or go to a big Z? Like if you are throwing a 174 go to a 178 Comet or go to a 165 Buzzz. Or if you are throwing an X Comet go to a glow Z... everyone needs another glow disc..

I'm surprised to hear your GStar Shark is so overstable. My Star Shark is not as overstable as my Shark3; indeed, the Star Shark isn't overstable at all.

My suggestion for that Buzzz equivalent would be a Roc3.

I could go heavier Comet since mine is 170g Big Z. Would a 180g Z Comet have significantly more HSS and LSS than a 170g?

I was actually thinking of trying a Roc3 at some point but figured it would be more overstable than a Buzzz. Not sure if that's right.

I could go heavier Comet since mine is 170g Big Z. Would a 180g Z Comet have significantly more HSS and LSS than a 170g?

I was actually thinking of trying a Roc3 at some point but figured it would be more overstable than a Buzzz. Not sure if that's right.

Yes. 180 Z not Big Z.
180 Ti almost become a Roc when fresh.

180 Z will be a frozen string on a low. On a high line, it will have slight but sweeping fade

Last edited:

I think the Buzzz is so popular, because it is not speed sensitive. Back off or lay into a Buzzz and you still get a good flight.

And I throw mine quite often, with a decent nose up angle on low ceiling tunnel shots when I'm not feeling the hyzer flip. Like a very shallow air bounce.

Could someone please compare the stability of a Z Comet vs. a Big Z Comet? Any significant difference?

Anyone want to weigh in on what plastic/weight would tend to be the most Comet-y of all Comets?

I briefly had a max weight Big Z, and while it was pretty glidey, it did have just a bit of fade at the end of its flight.

Go lower in weight? Switch to ESP or X? Are Comets just supposed to have a hint of low speed fade? Was it a case of a new disc needing a little beating?

My basic question is: 1 Comet, to rule them all, what's it gonna be?