• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I don't agree with this. Sure, if you need to start over, two mid molds seems fine. But since I've gone minimal and my game has improved. To each their own. I just prefer the same feel in the hand every time and I like making my discs do the work and throwing them on the lines I want, not what the disc prefers.

I love Comets, but since I have DX Rocs beat in to cover the Comet shots, I took Comets out and haven't skipped a beat. And my beat Rocs actually fly further than a Comet "for me" that is.

Since last spring, I've bagged nothing but Rocs for mids. If I did lose one of my beat Rocs, I have Comets for back up though.

For the record, this is what I'm doing in my bag presently. In the process of beating in ranchos to cover the last comet or two.

Admittedly, I also picked up a mortar recently and will try that out. Do you bag a harp/zone or OS mid alongside your rocs?

I don't agree with this. Sure, if you need to start over, two mid molds seems fine. But since I've gone minimal and my game has improved. To each their own. I just prefer the same feel in the hand every time and I like making my discs do the work and throwing them on the lines I want, not what the disc prefers.

I love Comets, but since I have DX Rocs beat in to cover the Comet shots, I took Comets out and haven't skipped a beat. And my beat Rocs actually fly further than a Comet "for me" that is.

Since last spring, I've bagged nothing but Rocs for mids. If I did lose one of my beat Rocs, I have Comets for back up though.

Like you said to each their own.

I hate DX/Pro-D/Pro/X plastics. To try and get one mold to cycle through in Z/Champ/Star/ESP takes forever. I don't want to have to try spend ungodly amounts of time beating in discs, that don't really want to beat in.

I also have like 5 bags. I don't want to have to trade out discs from one bag to another, so each bag is setup the same, allowing me to switch bags in and out without missing a beat.

Like you said to each his own.

For the record, this is what I'm doing in my bag presently. In the process of beating in ranchos to cover the last comet or two.

Admittedly, I also picked up a mortar recently and will try that out. Do you bag a harp/zone or OS mid alongside your rocs?

I carry a Rhyno

Like you said to each their own.

I hate DX/Pro-D/Pro/X plastics. To try and get one mold to cycle through in Z/Champ/Star/ESP takes forever. I don't want to have to try spend ungodly amounts of time beating in discs, that don't really want to beat in.

I also have like 5 bags. I don't want to have to trade out discs from one bag to another, so each bag is setup the same, allowing me to switch bags in and out without missing a beat.

Like you said to each his own.

Yeah, I mean, even intentionally beating in DX Rocs totally sucks unless you're playing wooded courses multiple times per week. I really like DX Rocs so I'm willing to work on this by digging through used boxes and supplementing the cycle with Comets.

These days with a myriad of premium plastic discs to choose from in a rainbow of stability at every rim width, I think people are just less likely to naturally stumble upon a cycle.

Hmmm I'd like to quote all three of you but I lack the technology.. Basically:

Blah blah blah I like rocs, blah blah cycle discs then you say

I still have a Comet just in case..... To each their own but they all own a Comet. Haha

My bag is similar I dabble but there's no doubt we all have a Comet as a security blanket oooh my wubby or blankie whatever you babies called it. You can deny it but that's why you haunt this thread.

Lately mines a Skulboy Vertex as an understable Comet, less wing downhill tunnel shooter, I'm no different. Kind of an improved Meteor, Envy and Comet took my Buzzz slot the better you are with putters the less mids you need but three mid slots in my bag, three putters

Last edited:
Not sure what it is but I've lost my touch with the Comet. Had been throwing them a lot the last few years. Was always able to finesse them with precision. The last several months I just can't dial them in. Might be because I've been throwing my Big Z Roaches and X Buzzz's for most of my BH turnover shots and that got me used to throwing harder.

I still keep one in my bag but every time I use it I just don't get the result I want. Big Z Roaches are amazing for big BH turnovers BTW.

I just put my comeg back in the bag a few days ago. Awesome hyzerflips beautiful turnovers. It'll come back out whem thusboroohecy is beat in enough.

Not sure what it is but I've lost my touch with the Comet. Had been throwing them a lot the last few years. Was always able to finesse them with precision. The last several months I just can't dial them in. Might be because I've been throwing my Big Z Roaches and X Buzzz's for most of my BH turnover shots and that got me used to throwing harder.

I still keep one in my bag but every time I use it I just don't get the result I want. Big Z Roaches are amazing for big BH turnovers BTW.
I lose the touch with the Comet from time to time. I basically throw DX Rocs in the warm weather and Z Comets in the cold, and some Winters I've basically thrown Wizard/JLS with no mid because I'll lose the handle on the Comet. Rocs I never lose the touch with, but Comets I do. Usually I just take a break from throwing them, then concentrate on slowing down and being smooth. I have to do that every fall when I trade out Rocs for Comets anyway. After a little work it comes back to me.

Got my Z and X Comet today, the X was not at all what i expected. . .I thought it would be like a "baseline" plastic like" DX, Prime" but X is more like "star" plastic.. quite surprised

Got my Z and X Comet today, the X was not at all what i expected. . .I thought it would be like a "baseline" plastic like" DX, Prime" but X is more like "star" plastic.. quite surprised

It may feel like Star plastic, but is not as durable. The edges of an Elite X Comet get pretty chewed up on the rocky courses in my area. Star plastic can take much more abuse.

Got a 177 X in the mail today. Feels like a toy, but flies magically. And way better grip than the Big Z I previously had. Can't wait to get some more rounds with this disc. Thanks for the rec!

Just got a Comet in the mail today as well (167 in Big Z). :)

Personally if find something that almost works go to a lighter weight Big Z... I haven't thrown those but they sound sweet. My preferred Comet weight is 174 to 176. I used to carry two or three usually a used 174 and a fresher or/and ESP 176.. A few grams changed it for me from stable finish to understable.

Ultimate Comet? 174-176 ESP but the weird harder hybrid blend that feels like a grippy Z... with a flat top.. Yell all you want that is the Comet for me.
I've read most of this thread and haven't seen much ESP Comet chatter.
Can you share how you use them? Anything specific behavior wise for this plastic vs all the Z and other plastics love?

I bag an 8/10 white ESP Comet around 175.
I'm a noodle arm but I like trying to make this disc glide all day for me. Great form check disc for me as well.

I always liked the third run LE ESP. Of course they were my first ESPs. They started around a Z of that time, stability-wise, but lost the fade pretty quickly. It had better glide than the Zs too.

Latest posts