• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I've read most of this thread and haven't seen much ESP Comet chatter.
Can you share how you use them? Anything specific behavior wise for this plastic vs all the Z and other plastics love?

I bag an 8/10 white ESP Comet around 175.
I'm a noodle arm but I like trying to make this disc glide all day for me. Great form check disc for me as well.

I have some white ESP Comets also. They are all pretty flat compared to the Elite X and Elite Z Comets that I own. And my white ESPs (and most other ESPs) are more flippy than the other plastic options. I myself only occasionally choose to throw Comets (or midranges at all), and use the white ESPs in tailwind situations only, and even then I will likely choose to throw it with some hyzer to allow it to flip to flat and hopefully not continue to turn over. Elite X Comets are, in my view, better for a larger variety of shots.

I should say that, if I choose to throw a Comet, it is in situations where I want it to go about 300 ft on flat ground. If the shot is shorter than that, or if it is downhill, I will probably throw a putter. The problem with 300 ft Comet shots, in my view, is that wind currents can push that disc around so that it becomes a bit unpredictable.

If a person wants to use a Comet on a shorter throw, say 200 ft, then I think it is much more reliable (duh, any disc is more reliable if thrown shorter distance, I know). It all comes down to a person's style. One person wants to throw a putter on a 200 ft throw, and another person wants to throw their Comet on that same throw. Both can be good options.

Third run LE's...damn. More HSS than an X, less LSS than a Z with all the glide a Comet should have. If all ESP Comets flew like the third run LE's, I'd throw ESP Comets.

ESP Comets are probably better than I give them credit for, but I know they could fly like a third run LE. Usually they don't. :( Not exactly. They seem flippier and less predictable. I'm probable being picky. They are probably close enough that I shouldn't complain about them. This is the Internet, though. :|

I keep hearing this. How do they fly compared to Comets I would know?

Are these the ESP glow Comets that don't glow?

Yes, they do not glo. My understanding is that they are a blending of those two plastics, Glo & ESP. For myself, I find them to be the perfect grip / feel. It seems a bit less stable than my Ti Comets. Other than that, they are pure Comet. They hold the lines you put them on. So far I have play 4 rounds with mine, using them for all drives and long upshots, and I could not be happier. (Same 2 courses I play all the time, with comets and or fairway drivers / other mids).

I've read most of this thread and haven't seen much ESP Comet chatter.
Can you share how you use them? Anything specific behavior wise for this plastic vs all the Z and other plastics love? .

Everything threeputt said... mine are between stability on an x and Z.. My first run is really similar to an x with a touch less glide but more than z it actually can finish understable. My newer ESP are more s like in flight less hss and still waiting for the lss to wear down a bit. The lss kicks in later but is more pronounced.

When were these mythical 3rd runs made? I got some beauty's that are either second or 3rd.. One of em is like a ESP / Z blend

Yes, they do not glo. My understanding is that they are a blending of those two plastics, Glo & ESP. For myself, I find them to be the perfect grip / feel.

I got mine in today....and it does glow. It is dim, but I can see it in the dark. It is a nice pale purple and white swirl, so perhaps I got a bit more glow mixed in. Easy to see in the light as well.

On the other hand, there was not enough release agent sprayed on the mold; there is a small amount of scarring on the flight plate. This is no big deal as this is to be a thrower.

I got the discs out of the mail after dark, so field tests are yet to come.

Not too long ago, I ordered a BigZ Comet with an Amazon gift card because of this thread. Figured BigZ would be less likely to be a dull/dark color than regular Z(couldn't pick color on Amazon), and wanted any extra stability because I was already afraid I wouldn't be able to cleanly throw one anyway. That first Comet really did glide like crazy, but it was way more stable than I was afraid of and also a little slick.

So I ordered a 177 X recently. It's beautiful. Given a touch of hyzer, it pops up flat and just goes straaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Rode dead-nuts, perfectly straight 400'+ on a downhill hole. Unbelievable. I'm just worried about how fast it might beat in.

Found a used 177 Z on eBay for $8 after shipping. No-brainer. Flies just like the brand new X. Hopefully it stays like that long after the X has become flippy.

So now I've got one of the MJ ESP Comets on the way. Probably don't need it with the X and the Z, but I've enjoyed throwing those two so much that I couldn't resist. And Infinite only had one left, which made it impossible to resist. Should be here tomorrow.

I've never been much of a mid thrower. The Comet has changed that. There are a couple holes that I've always been in search of "the shot" or "the disc" to throw for the highest probability of a birdie. No more. The Comet even has me successfully using other mids in places where I wouldn't have before.

So thanks to all who have so passionately pushed the Comet. It really looks like it's gonna be a literal game-changer for me.

So I ordered a 177 X recently. It's beautiful. Given a touch of hyzer, it pops up flat and just goes straaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Rode dead-nuts, perfectly straight 400'+ on a downhill hole. Unbelievable. I'm just worried about how fast it might beat in.

If you play on normal courses with grass/dirt and trees and such it should stay straight for a very long time. If you play rocky courses then that might be different. But those slow mid shapes with beads hold their stability a while. Plus a Comet that turns slowly is incredible, don't be afraid of that beating in. I've had one X for like a year and a half, went from 0/0.5 to -0.5/0.5. It still won't turn over unless I start it absolutely flat or slightly past flat.

If you play on normal courses with grass/dirt and trees and such it should stay straight for a very long time. If you play rocky courses then that might be different. But those slow mid shapes with beads hold their stability a while. Plus a Comet that turns slowly is incredible, don't be afraid of that beating in. I've had one X for like a year and a half, went from 0/0.5 to -0.5/0.5. It still won't turn over unless I start it absolutely flat or slightly past flat.

Thanks for the input. I usually find yours specifically to be especially helpful/pertinent to my own experiences.

And you're right- I got started playing disc golf when I lived in Colorado. Those courses ate up even Star and Champ plastic pretty quickly. All my old drivers have gashes/nicks in their rims. Heck, I got a Retro Mercy at the DD 2-disc thing they used to do that was thrashed after one round. But since I've moved back home to Indiana, it does seem like discs don't wear in nearly as much.

Like I said- I've never thrown mids very much. Don't think I've ever even beaten one in before. Maybe this X Comet will just keep opening my eyes...

Like I said- I've never thrown mids very much. Don't think I've ever even beaten one in before. Maybe this X Comet will just keep opening my eyes...

I've thrown some beat to flippy ones that were like -1.5/0 and it's amazing. I could throw them like 30' farther than my straight X Comet, plastic type didn't matter it was all the turn and glide. Definitely don't be afraid to beat it in, I'm surprised and slightly frustrated mine has been so durable because I want that flippy flight, but at the same time a perfectly straight Comet is just so good and gets the most "what was that?" out of everything in the bag.

In 15+MPH tailwind my Comet is probably my longest disc, or within 20' of my longest disc. It'll basically give you that 400' downhill shot flight, just do the same thing but give it 20-30' of air and it'll take all the power you have in a tailwind. I think the understable ones go farther for me because I can release them on hyzer to throw them really high and not nose up, then they reach the apex, flip to flat, and never stop.

Got various colors of Swirly Glo ESP Comets in the mail today. Haven't thrown any yet, but set each directly under a 60 watt bulb to test their glow. As wolfmandragon stated earlier in this thread, they do glow, but not very much. The amount of glow varies from disc to disc, with the green and brownish colors having the most glow, and some pink and purple colors having the least. By the time I had tested all in the stack, some of the earliest that were put under the light were already invisible with the lights out. I believe that a single Kastaplast K1 Glow disc or Gateway Superglow disc would emit more light than 100 of these combined. These Comets are not discs that you would want to throw at night.

Found a used 177 Z on eBay for $8 after shipping. No-brainer. Flies just like the brand new X. Hopefully it stays like that long after the X has become flippy.

I agree with what Slowplastic said.

I had an X-Comet in the bag for almost three years before I lost it.
The more beat in it got, the better it got.
A little hyzer and it would go dead straight and it also flew beautiful annie lines. It was also great for powered down shots.

I don't know if you could beat an X into useless.

I think you'll love it more in time.

The Orange MJ ESP Glo I ordered showed up today. It's slightly flatter and wider diameter than the X and Z I've got(which are nearly identical to each other). This one also just barely glows, but that's not why I bought it.

The Big Z that I had briefly a few months ago seemed extra wide and not very domey. Wonder if that means this ESP is also gonna be on the stable side...

I'm actually kinda wishing I hadn't ordered it. Never had a "collector" disc before. These probably aren't ever going to be very valuable, since they're not Innova- right??

Last edited:
The Orange MJ ESP Glo I ordered showed up today. It's slightly flatter and wider diameter than the X and Z I've got(which are nearly identical to each other). This one also just barely glows, but that's not why I bought it.

The Big Z that I had briefly a few months ago seemed extra wide and not very domey. Wonder if that means this ESP is also gonna be on the stable side...

Generally the flatter ones have more turn, guess there's one way to find out...

Sweet Bobby Ricky, the MJ tour glo Swirl ESP is bloody awesome!

Frozen string baby! I had to throw downhill to see any fade...but it still has Z HSS.

I am amazed. I was mostly getting this to support MJ, I did not think I would like it this well...being that I am a hardcore Z Comet thrower.

Heck, the flat top makes it easy to forehand as well. ...this without it being squirrly like normal ESPs.

Its the perfect marrage of stability and glide.

The ESP Glo is a bit slick, but even over 9 holes it was feeling better.

Last edited:
The Orange MJ ESP Glo I ordered showed up today. It's slightly flatter and wider diameter than the X and Z I've got(which are nearly identical to each other).

I'm actually kinda wishing I hadn't ordered it. Never had a "collector" disc before. These probably aren't ever going to be very valuable, since they're not Innova- right??

I want to throw it... let us know how it goes when you do :)

I want to throw it... let us know how it goes when you do :)

I threw all three Comets a couple times. The MJ swirly ESP is definitely more stable than the other two. To refresh- the other two are a brand new Elite X, and a used but not abused Elite Z. All are 177's.

This MJ ESP is, like I said previously, noticeably larger diameter with a hair lower dome than my other two. That Big Z that I previously had was also larger diameter and didn't seem very domey. This MJ ESP flies just like that Big Z did- stable, with good glide, but with a little bit of fade at the end.

The fresh X and used Z I have both share the same flight- absolutely straight with zero fade and insano glide.

Not sure if I'll keep throwing this ESP and try to beat it in, put it away for another time, or move it on down the road. As it is, I'd rather just throw a Buzzz or something for the same flight and not worry about getting enough height on it.

I got some MJ Swirly ESP Comets recently, and chose a pink 177+ gm one to try out. It is pretty middle of the road stability-wise for a Comet, and has pretty decent glide - better, in my view, than last years MJ Signature Elite-Z Comets.

To compare, my heavier Elite-X comets can handle a bit of velocity, but I release my light weight 165 gm Elite-X's and the flattish ESPs with more hyzer, and keep them to more moderate speeds. The Swirly ESP falls between them. It won't accept a lot of velocity. But, give it a clean pull, with some height, and it will have a bit of turn, with a slight fade at the end, for an overall neutral flight path. I think that Comet people will be pretty happy with how it flies.

Latest posts