• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I have this cart; it's insane how many discs it can hold. Right now there are five Comets and six Rocs in there.

That's just kinda wrong, I really feel like they should be segregated. My Comets have never seen a rock unless it was in their shop of origin.

That's just kinda wrong, I really feel like they should be segregated. My Comets have never seen a rock unless it was in their shop of origin.

I used to pair Rocs and Comets. Used a Wasp as a cheap Champ Roc and rolled with that until I grabbed a Buzzz and sorta clicked with it in place of my "2" Roc and a "beefy" Z Comet as my "3.5" Roc.

My thrown discs all sit on old CD racks in the basement and the Rocs and Comets are right next to each other. They've met.

picture.php

. . . Rocs and Comets are right next to each other. They've met.

DX Roc and Z Comet certainly snuggled together in my bag for several years. If I could FH discs with a big bead they'd probably still be having close relations.

I still find myself looking at a hole and thinking, "This would be a perfect Comet shot." Wombat3 will do similar lines but without the insane glide.

Keeping Rocs and Comets apart makes as much sense as keeping cheese away from macaroni.

Mac and cheese compliment each other. Allegedly a beat roc does something similar to a Comet, without the glide. Who needs 2 fresh rocs when a Buzzz or Wasp will suffice?

Mac and cheese compliment each other. Allegedly a beat roc does something similar to a Comet, without the glide. Who needs 2 fresh rocs when a Buzzz or Wasp will suffice?

You make it sound like Rocs are bricks. A #3 Roc has a ton of glide. You should try one. Rocs and Comets complement each other better than Wasps/Buzzzes and Comets do due to them both being large diameter, slow mids. It's why Rocs are often mentioned as being the best bookend on the overstable side of a Comet.

There's nothing wrong with choosing Buzzzes and Wasps if that works for you. Nothing at all. I guess I just don't understand why they're suggested to pair with Comets so often since they excel when thrown like a driver, and the Comet doesn't. The Roc really doesn't either.

Honest question, why are Rocks the only mold that have cycle numbers? I'm familiar with what those represent but am curious why Comets or Teebirds don't have a #3 for example?

All cycles matter.

You can take your #3 Roc and use it as a plate for all I care! Call it PlateThree !!

I got enough Comets to cover anything.. Though if I stray I'd go Tangent.. Or Wasp. Wasp is a good fit.

Take your Roc and shove it!... I ain't throwing you no more.

Haha #3 number 2 ontario or whatever, Roc3 bah.. It's like the 20 different aviars. A wasp is always a wasp and a Comets always a Comet.

Last edited:
You make it sound like Rocs are bricks. A #3 Roc has a ton of glide. You should try one. Rocs and Comets complement each other better than Wasps/Buzzzes and Comets do due to them both being large diameter, slow mids. It's why Rocs are often mentioned as being the best bookend on the overstable side of a Comet.

There's nothing wrong with choosing Buzzzes and Wasps if that works for you. Nothing at all. I guess I just don't understand why they're suggested to pair with Comets so often since they excel when thrown like a driver, and the Comet doesn't. The Roc really doesn't either.

I tried them a few times. Most recently I found an unmarked beat KC pro about a year ago and threw it on a few holes. I didn't notice much glide and left it at the course. Buzzz and Wasp always felt better and flew better for me.

Honest question, why are Rocks the only mold that have cycle numbers? I'm familiar with what those represent but am curious why Comets or Teebirds don't have a #3 for example?

All cycles matter.

Because Comet (and I suppose Teebird throwers :() don't need to number their discs to know how many they brought, they only brought 1 or 2 ... maybe 3!

Roc throwers are bent on ceremony and superstition. Too bad they can't go buy an ESP flat top and just replace their worn Z and still get all the glide. They're pig headed and want to beat the glide in themselves then cry when they lose 2yrs of work and sweat. They are Innova Zombies!!

Last edited:

All cycles matter.
Lol. The answer is because we made up the number thing in a Roc thread. :|

Haha, I finally just came in after ending my ace drought, first shot on #11 "Mirkwood" at my place, two trees leaning in for a tight V up high which I threaded with my new purple 174 ish purple sweet and simple... ESP Comet. :D LHBH

The gaps about 1/2 way at 100' ish. About 20-25 ft up and 3' wide (and widening lower) pin at 200 ish and hanging at 20' so you gotta hold the level. LHBH.
tmjQraS.jpg

Sorry about posting "almost aces" it's been awhile for a legit first shot one!

Last edited:
I have read in this thread that Comets are straight, not understable. If they turn it is because you have bad form (OAT) or there isn't enough spin on the disc. Up to what distance is this true? Would you expect to see some turn at 300? 350? 400?

I have read in this thread that Comets are straight, not understable. If they turn it is because you have bad form (OAT) or there isn't enough spin on the disc. Up to what distance is this true? Would you expect to see some turn at 300? 350? 400?

In my experience, when thrown flat with 300' feet of power a fresh comet will go basically straight, anything over that you can expect some turn, but not turn and burn. There can be many reasons they turn, how heavy and what plastic is your comet? Is it fresh or beat in? etc...

In my experience, when thrown flat with 300' feet of power a fresh comet will go basically straight, anything over that you can expect some turn, but not turn and burn. There can be many reasons they turn, how heavy and what plastic is your comet? Is it fresh or beat in? etc...

I was mostly just curious. I have two z comets one around 172 with dome and one a little flatter around 175. I usually throw Rocs and I have been throwing them like a turn over Roc. I'm in Madison,WI and Elver DGC #18 is 474 down hill. I love throwing the comet, watching it pop up and do that "down hill still turning but going straight" thing. Super fun disc!

Last edited:
I was mostly just curious. I have two z comets one around 172 with dome and one a little flatter around 175. I usually throw Rocs and I have been throwing them like a turn over Roc. I'm in Madison,WI and Elver DGC #18 is 474 down hill. I love throwing the comet, watching it pop up and do that "down hill still turning but going straight" thing. Super fun disc!

I got ya, thought maybe yours was turning over too much. I'm always surprised at how far and just how dead straight they can go. I'm always asked what I threw when I play with someone new. The comet never ceases to amaze.

Latest posts