• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Correct on the time frame seems to me like about 2012/3 for stock runs. Seems like a lot of the 2018-2020 ish esp had a more consistent dome.

in that time frame, those could possibly be 3rd run LE? IIRC that run still had "Limited Edition" on it though.

2020 MJs are nice and domey, ESP swirl plastic.

I think you're right. 3rd run with an LE stamp sounds right going on memory.

Not all MJs are domey. My icon series is flat esp swirl
The ESP plastic they used in the Icon series is different from the swirly ESP they used in the '19 MJ's by quite a bit. To me if I close my eyes and just have someone hand me discs, I'll identify the Icon series Comet as Z plastic. It doesn't have the grippier ESP feel in the hand to me. The swirly '19 MJ's feel in the hand like an entirely different kind of plastic; it feels like regular ESP plastic to me.

That's not entirely unique to the Icon series run, though. The '17 MJ disc is a Z plastic variation that I call ZSP; it's grippier to me than regular Z. Both that '17 MJ Z and a 2020 Ledgestone color shift Z feel grippier and more ESP-like to me than the Icon Series ESP plastic. It's just a thing with these small specialty runs I guess; the plastic sometimes ends up like a snowflake.

Yeah the opaque/shimmer Z that the 2017s came in is pretty unique IMO.

I also agree that the Icon swirl is significantly stiffer than the 2019 plastic. At least with the limited samples if each that I have.

The boutique runs definitely blur the lines and complicate the discussion between plastics.

I picked up a regular old ESP Comet at about the same time as the bottom stamped '19 MJ's; those two were really consistent plastic-wise so I've assumed that those '19's were a more standard ESP plastic. The "unique" part about that plastic was the swirls and that didn't seem to effect the feel/flight as much as some other runs. At least to me it didn't.

The ESP plastic they used in the Icon series is different from the swirly ESP they used in the '19 MJ's by quite a bit. To me if I close my eyes and just have someone hand me discs, I'll identify the Icon series Comet as Z plastic. It doesn't have the grippier ESP feel in the hand to me. The swirly '19 MJ's feel in the hand like an entirely different kind of plastic; it feels like regular ESP plastic to me.

That's not entirely unique to the Icon series run, though. The '17 MJ disc is a Z plastic variation that I call ZSP; it's grippier to me than regular Z. Both that '17 MJ Z and a 2020 Ledgestone color shift Z feel grippier and more ESP-like to me than the Icon Series ESP plastic. It's just a thing with these small specialty runs I guess; the plastic sometimes ends up like a snowflake.

My grippiest modern Comet is the Cryztal Sparkle one from Ledgestone (the dyed one a few comments back). The Icon one, the 2020 Z, and the two new Z ones I picked up a couple tournaments ago are all super slick in the hand. I never thought Cryztal plastic would feel the least slippery in any mold, but the Comet and Heat in that plastic are so much nicer than the regular production stuff...

Interesting, CryZtal used to be the gummier grippier Z. I haven't had a CryZtal disc newer than 2016 or so...

Interesting, CryZtal used to be the gummier grippier Z. I haven't had a CryZtal disc newer than 2016 or so...

It's always been a harder blend. I used to hate it, because it was so slippery once it got wet. No idea how this new blend will be, but overall it's much tackier than the ones back in the day...

It's always been a harder blend. I used to hate it, because it was so slippery once it got wet. No idea how this new blend will be, but overall it's much tackier than the ones back in the day...

Had me feeling kinda crazy for a minute. I have a couple CryZtal discs that are stiff now, but old Z was always some of the stiffest plastic on the market and I really thought CryZtal was the gummy alternative. This thread supports that memory or at least there seems to have been both gummy and firm

Last edited:
I have a cryztal Comet from 2013 and it's gummy and grippier than regular Z. Probably my best feeling Comet, it's also orange and not a hard to find clear.

Have they ran any esp comets lately similar to the domey mj bottom stamp ones?

I have one that's so unbelievably stable compared to my others in z or esp I'm afraid to lose it, kicking myself for not buying a stack of them. The recent z ones feel like flippy roller discs and somehow even less stable than the super grippy x plastic ones.

I have a newer, stiffer big Z (updated meatball stamp) that is reasonably stable.
I haven't thrown any Z comets that would be roller levels of flippy - even my oldest ESP isn't that flippy

Have they ran any esp comets lately similar to the domey mj bottom stamp ones?

I have one that's so unbelievably stable compared to my others in z or esp I'm afraid to lose it, kicking myself for not buying a stack of them. The recent z ones feel like flippy roller discs and somehow even less stable than the super grippy x plastic ones.

The Icon MJ ones are quite similar IMO, and still on the shelves places. there is also a stock disc that flies much like those MJ comets

Yikes.

Remember back in the day when we made fun of Gateway and complained about Innova for inconsistent runs, and then lauded good old Discraft for the mind-numbingly boring consistency of their products? A Z Comet does this but an X Comet does that...every time, no need to search through stacks of discs looking for the right this or that?

Yeah, those days are gone. Good luck, folks! We are on our own.

Yikes.

Remember back in the day when we made fun of Gateway and complained about Innova for inconsistent runs, and then lauded good old Discraft for the mind-numbingly boring consistency of their products? A Z Comet does this but an X Comet does that...every time, no need to search through stacks of discs looking for the right this or that?

Yeah, those days are gone. Good luck, folks! We are on our own.

That was about when I stopped playing disc golf with a full discraft bag of bland easy to find high vis colored discs that all flew basically exactly like the ones from the store that I could easily replace when lost. Coming back a decade later to find discraft has made the esp blend some stiff slick nonsense in a million shades of wood brown and dark leaf green has really bummed me out, they called the latest run of Dickerson wasps "gummy" and "grippy" so I did the logical thing and bought 10. I have z predators from 07 that I thought were stiff slick crap that have more flex and grip than this modern esp blend. Also I'm still salty about the flash being discontinued too but that's for another rant.

I got away from throwing gateway and innova because I hated playing the lottery with disc flights it's not that difficult to manufacture consistent flying discs, discraft USED to back when I was the highest pdga number 33xxx and they probably had 1/100th of the revenue they do now.