• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

The Icon MJ ones are quite similar IMO, and still on the shelves places. there is also a stock disc that flies much like those MJ comets

Is the stock one same blend and domey? I see sellers describing them so differently it's hard to tell if I'm buying something similar or not.

Is the stock one same blend and domey? I see sellers describing them so differently it's hard to tell if I'm buying something similar or not.

I have minimal experience with the recent stock ones and have seen a bit of variance. With the MJs at least you know what you're getting

I got away from throwing gateway and innova because I hated playing the lottery with disc flights it's not that difficult to manufacture consistent flying discs, discraft USED to back when I was the highest pdga number 33xxx and they probably had 1/100th of the revenue they do now.

Now here is where the fun is. Discraft was probably more consistent cause they made less than innova, now they are pumping a ton out. I also feel like they are tweaking more trying (and succeeding) to capture the disc collector market. I loved how every Z buzzz was the same. I did want a more stable buzzz option, like a couple glow runs were. Now I find a ton of Buzzz way more stable than those old Glow...

The kicker, Gateway is not tweaking their stock stuff nearly as much as they used to, have reinvested in newer machines and are pumping out one of the more consistent products. Smaller scale helps, but it's easier than ever to replace a stock disc with something similar.
Sad though, some discs lost their magic that special blends and runs used to have.

I have minimal experience with the recent stock ones and have seen a bit of variance. With the MJs at least you know what you're getting

Now here is where the fun is. Discraft was probably more consistent cause they made less than innova, now they are pumping a ton out. I also feel like they are tweaking more trying (and succeeding) to capture the disc collector market. I loved how every Z buzzz was the same. I did want a more stable buzzz option, like a couple glow runs were. Now I find a ton of Buzzz way more stable than those old Glow...

The kicker, Gateway is not tweaking their stock stuff nearly as much as they used to, have reinvested in newer machines and are pumping out one of the more consistent products. Smaller scale helps, but it's easier than ever to replace a stock disc with something similar.
Sad though, some discs lost their magic that special blends and runs used to have.

The only bright spot in their efforts to create artificial scarcity with their newer stuff is the old crap I love made with the correct esp blend isn't that much more expensive than it was new. Some of the rare ones are of course but nobody is bidding against me on old esp discs.

I remember when they had esp Venoms come out and some of the green ones had a little white swirl in them and they would sell for like 75 dollars and we all thought that was crazy and now that wouldn't be considered special or unique.

If gateway ever made those baby blue illusions again out of the Tupper ware plastic I'd probably pay 25 a pop.

Comets, especially ones people know how they fly in that specific plastic have such a die hard fan base though I don't even try and bid war people for those, I saw a crusty pond scum stained white esp one sell for 60 bucks recently and it had like 3 different people's names on it lol.

There has to be a limit on the specialty runs. In 2021-22, how many specialty runs of Comets were there? There were Tour Series Z MJ's, Rubber Blend Ledgestones, Metallic Z Ledgestone MJ's, CryZtal Ledgestones, Icon Series ESP MJ's...I'm sure I'm missing some. 2020 had the Tour Series Z MJ's, the Sparkle Z Ledgestones and the Color Shift Z Ledgestones. That's at least eight specialty runs over the last three years. It's honestly what we spend all of our time talking about; all of us have these snowflake runs in our bags.

The result is that none of them are actually all the special. The mojo that the LE ESP's had 14 years ago is gone.

There has to be a limit on the specialty runs. In 2021-22, how many specialty runs of Comets were there? There were Tour Series Z MJ's, Rubber Blend Ledgestones, Metallic Z Ledgestone MJ's, CryZtal Ledgestones, Icon Series ESP MJ's...I'm sure I'm missing some. 2020 had the Tour Series Z MJ's, the Sparkle Z Ledgestones and the Color Shift Z Ledgestones. That's at least eight specialty runs over the last three years. It's honestly what we spend all of our time talking about; all of us have these snowflake runs in our bags.

The result is that none of them are actually all the special. The mojo that the LE ESP's had 14 years ago is gone.

I used to be a bit of a Discraft fanboy until they decided to focus on limited run stuff. I probably have enough Comets for life, mostly used bin finds. I'll still feel up new Comets on the shelf but haven't even been tempted to purchase a new ESP.

Last specialty run I tried was some of the Ledgestone RB Comets from a couple years ago and they were super flippy. My wallet and I were much happier with the stash of old TP I saved from a used bin a couple months later.

Have they ran any esp comets lately similar to the domey mj bottom stamp ones?

I have one that's so unbelievably stable compared to my others in z or esp I'm afraid to lose it, kicking myself for not buying a stack of them. The recent z ones feel like flippy roller discs and somehow even less stable than the super grippy x plastic ones.

I've got a 168g LE ESP Comet that isn't even roller flippy. You sure you're not rolling your wrist, or throwing it too fast?

Yikes.

Remember back in the day when we made fun of Gateway and complained about Innova for inconsistent runs, and then lauded good old Discraft for the mind-numbingly boring consistency of their products? A Z Comet does this but an X Comet does that...every time, no need to search through stacks of discs looking for the right this or that?

Yeah, those days are gone. Good luck, folks! We are on our own.

I only vaguely remember that, because we used to still debate which colors of Discraft's plastic were the most stable (blue), the most flippy (purple), and the best for distance (neon green). Even then, there were variances...

I've got a 168g LE ESP Comet that isn't even roller flippy. You sure you're not rolling your wrist, or throwing it too fast?

I only vaguely remember that, because we used to still debate which colors of Discraft's plastic were the most stable (blue), the most flippy (purple), and the best for distance (neon green). Even then, there were variances...

Positive I'm not wrist rolling I can throw them smooth they just do not handle the speed like the mj one does without turning over. My mj one is basically a different disc with the same shape as a comet. I can throw that mj one about as hard as I would to put a driver out to 400+ and it will stand up from hyzer and ride flat, all the other comets stand up from hyzer and keep turning over.

I got a Z one from sidewinder thats so flippy it can do a mini version of my esp mj ones flight at half power it's really neat.

Also I totally agree the neon green esp does go the furthest but blue was a close second.

Man you just brought me back to conversations about the Z flash.

I used to be a bit of a Discraft fanboy until they decided to focus on limited run stuff. I probably have enough Comets for life, mostly used bin finds. I'll still feel up new Comets on the shelf but haven't even been tempted to purchase a new ESP.

Last specialty run I tried was some of the Ledgestone RB Comets from a couple years ago and they were super flippy. My wallet and I were much happier with the stash of old TP I saved from a used bin a couple months later.

I have many more than I'd need for my lifetime as well - the difference is that I haven't bought a new stock Comet in well over 10 years of any plastic. If anything I need to sell and consolidate, and just keep 1 of each different run that I don't throw for the collection.

I have many more than I'd need for my lifetime as well - the difference is that I haven't bought a new stock Comet in well over 10 years of any plastic. If anything I need to sell and consolidate, and just keep 1 of each different run that I don't throw for the collection.
Same problem; my feedback on stock Comets is largely obsolete. I have an ESP of the swirly plastic variety that I've had for a couple of years and my daughter has a stock Z that is also a couple of years old. Otherwise, my Comets are old and I have so many of them that I'm never going to need new ones.

That was before I started buying all these specialty runs because I'm dumb.

picture.php

My new ESP is comparable stability to my Big Zs, maybe a touch under. It's not that extra-grippy ESP that shows up in some runs, but also a little easier to hang onto than the Zs. Curious how it'll break in.

Comets are awesome. I own 8 lol

Oh geez, only 8? Anything pic worthy?

Someone start the parade... wait 3P already did....

I threw a comet back in my form bag, I guess I can hang out here again...

picture.php

So flat, so yellow, so esp and so sexxxxy.
( ;) 3P) my matching flat ZSP is in the game bag.

I f@@'n hate that meatball big z... greases comet ever. Until it's +30C...

Last edited:
Well I guess I will be getting the camera out later. I can only get two-ish discs in my photo box at once, so maybe I will post a google album or just get a family pic outside.

@three_putt that Yellow Z with the old school X stamp is a twin to my favorite. I had a yellow and an orange back in the day when I just picked up a comet and recently picked one up ($28 shipped!) for nostalgia.