• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I played a tournament yesterday, at Rolling hills in Ypsilanti, Michigan. It's a very technical, wooded course, so a great many of my shots were with comets. About midway through the second round, one of my competitors asked what it was I'd thrown. Of course it was a comet. That's exactly what she said 😄 I got the CTP for FPO, with my LE ESP comet. One of my competitors who had played with me at a tournament the week before said she bet she could guess what disc I threw for that shot, even though she hadn't been on the card I threw it on.

Took third place, and since I'm turning down cash until after the amateur state championships this year, spent my winnings on merch. Of course I grabbed the only comet 😄 she called me out on that too 🤣

Last edited:
I keep giving myself giggles by throwing spike hyzers with this overstable pink Z Comet I've got. Totally nailed #15 at Renegade's Trail with one, much to the amusement of my card mates (and myself).

Played the Toboggan for the first time in probably 15 years today. I'd been struggling to decide which discs to throw on the big downhills like #3. Turns out I should just throw Comets...

Has anyone found any consistency with the modern Comets, in terms of which ones are stable (for a Comet) vs flippy (for a Comet)? I keep picking up new ones, and the mold changes have really turned the old logic of flat = flippy on its head...

So I was playing a round the other day, and I found an old, well seasoned, 173g X Comet just kinda sitting next to the fairway. No ink. I was explaining how flippy they are compared to the ones I bag to the people I was playing with, and gave it the gentlest toss on the next hole (Oakland University's Grizzly Oaks course, hole 16), a gentle, downhill, corridor shot with an island green.

Bounced off the basket.

Can't say I wanna keep something that hard to replace in my bag, but it was a funny thing to have happen on the very first throw with it... :ROFLMAO:

Anybody interested in a UV color change Comet? I picked up an extra blue one at DGLO (clearish blue to blue transformation), 177+g weight. Figured I'd give you folks first dibs...

Attachments

• PXL_20230818_193051525.jpg
    PXL_20230818_193051525.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Anybody interested in a UV color change Comet? I picked up an extra blue one at DGLO (clearish blue to blue transformation), 177+g weight. Figured I'd give you folks first dibs...
I'd definitely be interested in it since I figure it'll be more OS than my current Z and I really need to rethink my Comet setup. Plus that one's super pretty...

I'd definitely be interested in it since I figure it'll be more OS than my current Z and I really need to rethink my Comet setup. Plus that one's super pretty...
If it flies anything like the pink UV one I threw from the same batch, it's stable, but still kinda straight. Less stable than either of my Z swirl ones, more stable than some of my stock Z ones, less stable than my most stable one...

If it flies anything like the pink UV one I threw from the same batch, it's stable, but still kinda straight. Less stable than either of my Z swirl ones, more stable than some of my stock Z ones, less stable than my most stable one...
So the real comparison I think I need is to the Icon ESPs from last year, which I know you have a lot of experience with. I honestly wouldn't mind having a glider '20 MJ...but idk if that is even possible. Also what are we looking at $$$wise (PM me if you don't want to publicly state it)?

So the real comparison I think I need is to the Icon ESPs from last year, which I know you have a lot of experience with. I honestly wouldn't mind having a glider '20 MJ...but idk if that is even possible. Also what are we looking at $$$wise (PM me if you don't want to publicly state it)?
I'm playing my last round at DGLO today, so I won't have a chance to throw unknown plastic until later in the week, but I'm adding these, and the pretty new Z swirl one I couldn't let sit sad on the shelf into my bag. I'll keep you posted.

As far as price, it cost me $20. I'm not a price gouger. That, plus shipping is fair.

Has anyone found any consistency with the modern Comets, in terms of which ones are stable (for a Comet) vs flippy (for a Comet)? I keep picking up new ones, and the mold changes have really turned the old logic of flat = flippy on its head...

I keep finding the recent Big Z flat ones (most of mine came through Infinite Discs) fly more like neutral fairway drivers than a couple years ago. They can handle low forward-penetrating lines like slow fairways. The regular Z's seem slightly flippier. The higher shoulder domey Big Zs are still probably the most overstable (for a Comet) ones I've thrown. The recent stock ESP surprised me because after throwing it quite a bit it definitely seems a touch more stable than the flat Big Zs, but not as overstable as the domey Big Zs.

Yesterday I had this revelation that I can handle almost every wooded tee shot within a certain distance with a Comet with more confidence than anything else in my bag. I get that they're not for everyone but damn I love them.

I keep finding the recent Big Z flat ones (most of mine came through Infinite Discs) fly more like neutral fairway drivers than a couple years ago. They can handle low forward-penetrating lines like slow fairways. The regular Z's seem slightly flippier. The higher shoulder domey Big Zs are still probably the most overstable (for a Comet) ones I've thrown. The recent stock ESP surprised me because after throwing it quite a bit it definitely seems a touch more stable than the flat Big Zs, but not as overstable as the domey Big Zs.

Yesterday I had this revelation that I can handle almost every wooded tee shot within a certain distance with a Comet with more confidence than anything else in my bag. I get that they're not for everyone but damn I love them.
Hmmm, I've noticed that I've been throwing a lot more of my Comets off the tee for most BH tee shots between 180'-300', especially if it's a wooded hole. Are the Big Zs almost Buzzzlike?

Hmmm, I've noticed that I've been throwing a lot more of my Comets off the tee for most BH tee shots between 180'-300', especially if it's a wooded hole. Are the Big Zs almost Buzzzlike?
Mine all are. I've got a couple regular Zs in pink that are even more overstable than that, but the big Zs seem pretty consistent in that stability, to me...

I'm usually using them 250-300' in woods or stretch them a bit further than that occasionally (and like to use them any line I possibly can since I get the most practice with them).

Agree with Skamanda that they tend to be on the more overstable end. I'd say that most of the fresh Buzzzes I have thrown are probably still a touch more overstable than the Big Z Comets in that distance range, but I haven't really missed my Buzzz much after discovering the Big Z Comets. I still keep the Buzzz in the bag since it seems just a little more torque resistant.

Ok I just took both colors of UV color change Comet to the course, to learn them. Holy crap are they glidey! Quite possibly my longest Comets. Stability is similar to the Z Swirl ones, just a hair straighter.

Ok I just took both colors of UV color change Comet to the course, to learn them. Holy crap are they glidey! Quite possibly my longest Comets. Stability is similar to the Z Swirl ones, just a hair straighter.
Ooooooooooooh that seems to be a nice blend of stability and glide which could make me even more deadly on my area courses. 300' dead straight would open up a bunch of birdie opportunities that I only occasionally get.

I threw my favorite Comet off a mountain teepad in the Tahoe area some years ago...it held the line and never hyzered out. Lost it for good.

So I just picked up a new Z Comet to teach my 8 year old son how to throw properly. The older Comet is an awesome training disc, it flies true with proper form, but flops around like a dying duck with improper form. I imagine the Z Comet will be slightly over-stable at first, and beat in straight over time?

I haven't beat in a new Z Comet. I'm still working on beating in my first production run Z ones. It should do what you want though, with enough abuse...

I've found Z Comets to be dead straight off the shelf and slowly break in. I've had one in my bag for 2 years that has that true -2 turn now, and a fresh one that's an absolute laser beam.

Just took 2nd in FA1 at the Michigan Amateur State Championships, and probably 75% of my shots were Comets... 😁 The only times I reached fir anything else was when I needed something way shorter, or on the 5 shots all weekend that needed more than 350' of distance. The rest was all woods golf, where the Comet reigns supreme (even if my putting didn't 😅)...

Latest posts