• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Comet vs. Tangent

I am currently carrying a Comet and Tangent; though I don't throw the Tangent that muh and am not very comfortable with it.

The idea though, is for the Tangent to handle much lower lines than the Comet. A straight, low ceiling shot, for instance. I usually need to give the Comet a lot of height to get any kind of distance, which just isn't possible.

So, I think the Roc vs. Buzzz comparison is spot on. Rocs and Comets are more 'true' midranges, while Buzzzes and Tangents are more driver-ish.

Gah, I still don't know which one to buy. I've been wanting to get a comet to work on my for (I've been putting anhyzer on everything here lately). I play mostly at wooded courses and wind isn't usually an issue for me.

I think the salient differences have been hit. Consensus seems:

Comet:
- More glide
- Less wind resistant
- Less HSS

Tangent:
- Less glide (though still good; pretty much every disc has less glide than the Comet)
- More wind resistant
- More HSS

Personally I prefer the Tangent, because of the differences noted. It replaced the Comet in my bag.

I find the speed hard to compare between the two, because of the difference in glide. Both seem to me like slower mids compared to today's true tweeners (i.e. the Warships of the world), but I'm not as well-versed in the range of mids that are out there as some people are.

To me this is an abstract comparison in need of an analogy. I like cars so...

The Comet is like a classic sports car. Lacking technology, older sports cars needed to be well balanced and require skill to drive. To a driver with the skill to handle the car a more pure driving experience could not be found. A driver with less skill will never be able to control the car well enough to push it's limits, so the classic car's merits may be lost on them. It is also a car to be driven on a sunny afternoon and not for an everyday commute.

The Tangent is more like a modern roadster. It still is a very true and responsive ride, but it has technology that lessens the skill requirement for the user. Computer mechanisms keep the tires in contact with the pavement across varying user inputs and conditions. It can be used as an everyday ride. While a skilled driver will still enjoy driving this car, it won't be as pure of an experience as the classic car.

The Comet is like a classic sports car. Lacking technology, older sports cars needed to be well balanced and require skill to drive. To a driver with the skill to handle the car a more pure driving experience could not be found. A driver with less skill will never be able to control the car well enough to push it's limits, so the classic car's merits may be lost on them. It is also a car to be driven on a sunny afternoon and not for an everyday commute.

The Tangent is more like a modern roadster. It still is a very true and responsive ride, but it has technology that lessens the skill requirement for the user. Computer mechanisms keep the tires in contact with the pavement across varying user inputs and conditions. It can be used as an everyday ride. While a skilled driver will still enjoy driving this car, it won't be as pure of an experience as the classic car.

nicely put!

It's actually kind of getting weird to post in these threads of new model vs old model, since I rarely throw anything new anymore, but I digress...

I think the comparison with roc vs buzzz is pretty apt. The comet is a slower, glide-ier midrange that comes from the old school of golf when getting a disc to hang in the air was important. The tangent is a new school midrange that has a lot of the flight directional properties of the comet (read: pretty neutral) but it's definitely meant to be thrown at a higher speed to achieve that sort of flight. With regards to that fact, the tangent is quite a bit more nose angle sensitive, and not as good at finesse shots as a comet, but much better at those type of shots than a buzzz.

edit: I really like the analogy that Discspeed used for this.

nicely put!

edit: I really like the analogy that Discspeed used for this.

Third'd. Fantastic analogy.

I do think the Comet and Tangent share the same spirit though, and are two discs that exist in some sort of category separate from all others.

images

Where's my "like" button?????

It would seem that a thread on comet vs atlas would be more appropriate? But I don't know, haven't thrown either.
Tangent is pretty beefy though, just from the overmold.

I carry both, love them both. I find I tee off better with the Comet and approach better with the Tangent. It may have something to do with using 150 class drivers,which I think helped with the smoothness required for the Comet. If I was forced to only carry one, I would go with the Tangent just for the slightly better wind resistance. But I'm not a pro so I will carry both and continue showing both to players who don't use either one.

And I love Discspeeds comparision between the two.

The idea though, is for the Tangent to handle much lower lines than the Comet. A straight, low ceiling shot, for instance. I usually need to give the Comet a lot of height to get any kind of distance, which just isn't possible.

I like the Comet better on low ceiling shots. I can put the nose up a little bit, and it just rides, sometimes just feet off the ground. Just a little wrist roll on those shots, and I can make it a hyzer or turnover.

Made some throws with a Tangent and a Comet to compare, and I agree with what's been said here already. Comet had more glide and was overall longer for me, but I felt like I had more control over the Tangent, quite honestly. I could see using the Comet more for teeing off and the Tanget for approaches like others have said as well. They are both fun to throw!

I bag both. Light weight (167'ish) X Comet for left-right shots that glide for days and also for finesse approaches that require a slower, more floaty line. I will always have a Comet in the bag.

The tangent is my go to for dead straight shots with no fade. I love the resistance to turn even when it's got some good torque on it. I also use the Tangent for putts that are longer than 50' or so. I find it feels very similar in my hand to my Ions (actually even a little better. love the low profile) and I can maintain the same putting motion while gaining an additional 20-30' without forcing it.

No wonder I like the Tangent so much.

The newer "cars" with all of the intrusive driver aids are joyless to drive to an enthusiast who has an intuitive knowledge of vehicular physics as well as car and driver interactions, which is why the talented drivers prefer the classics :p

Latest posts