• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Considering a Skillshot - Talk me out of it?

If you really want to go on the cheap, all you need is a target to gauge accuracy. You could throw against a box sharpied onto a sheet hanging from a clothes line. If you can spend ~$10 you could mount two 5' pvc poles onto wooden bases.

Last weekend I built a couple beersbee poles and it occurred to me that they'd be great for sharp shooter putting practice. See link below for pics and build idea.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Portable-Beer-Frisbee-Poles/

I want to figure out a way to put a basket to catch them on the bottom, but even if I don't, it's still great practice and serves the purpose.

I used a SkillShot for a while and although it is not as nice as a real basket, it is certainly sufficient to practice with. I assume the comment made by someone previously about using the Skillshot for practice making them a worse putter was just a joke.

The Skillshot presents a smaller target than most baskets. The attached picture is a SkillShot next to my Costco $69 basket, and you can see the difference in target size.

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 84
Costco basket is holding up fine and like putting on it 100x more than my old skillshot which sure was a lot more portable and easier to store etc but the Costco basket can break down pretty easy and the price is right.

The canvas is too forgiving IMO and I swear it made me a worse putter using the skillshot.

I have had my Instep basket for almost 2 year now and it has held up quite well. It stays in my back yard rain, snow(ha), or shine(100+ temps).

The only complaint I have is that it the red basket and top mark the hell outta some discs. I could fix it by making sure I hit chains every time, but I will probably just end up spraying it with a clear coat!

I used a SkillShot for a while and although it is not as nice as a real basket, it is certainly sufficient to practice with. I assume the comment made by someone previously about using the Skillshot for practice making them a worse putter was just a joke.

The Skillshot presents a smaller target than most baskets. The attached picture is a SkillShot next to my Costco $69 basket, and you can see the difference in target size.

the costco/instep baskets are in fact wider than standard Mach5, Chainstar, or Discatcher baskets at the course.

I have an Instep and a MachLite. I leave the Instep outside year round with a BBQ grill cover over it. I takethe Mach Lite to the practice field, tailgating, vacation, scoping parks for new courses, etc. Love both for their uses.

Free shipping? ;)

That was just my attempt to convince you to avoid the skillshot. :p

Skillshot was my first basket. Then I got a few more, including a $450 Chainstar, a Discatcher Sport, and an instep. Long story short, I now have 6 insteps. In that price range, I would definitely recommend the instep over the skilshot. The skilshot's chains don't converge at the bottom, so you don't get trained to deflect the putter off the chains downward into the basket. Be warned though that the instep punishes high putts. It will definitely force you to learn to sneak the putter in just over the rim at the point where the chains converge. But that's how pros putt, so I don't mind that. The only time I am glad I have a skilshot is when I want to throw a practice basket in the back of the pickup and go to a tournament, and not have it be obvious there is a basket back there.

I have used several skill shots, got a discount on old used ones. Then needed a lil tlc. and THEY SUCKED. Something was always breaking....including the wire ring that makes the umbrella design work. Finally tore it apart used L brackes and a rubber feed tub from tractor supply for the basket and wooden top for the chains.

I couldnt take them with me when I moved to AK, however I did buy a Innova Traveler from a local store. Its a lot better than the skill shot. It was so east to modify it and add another inner row of chains. Without modification, the Traveler catches much better than the skill shot. Since I modified the traveler, there have been almost no cut throughs.

The Mach Lite is probably the best on the market. I would have bought one if I didnt have to pay the hellatious shipping cost to get it here.

Got a Mach Lite.

machlite_zps45a3aabc.jpg

I've owned a Skillshot for about 2 years. Bought it used online for $100 shipped from IA and it has definately helped my putting game :)

This.

I don't hate my Skillshot, but I'm not in love with it either. Been eyeing up a Mach Lite at Glide, but haven't pulled the trigger.

If you get a Skillshot, invest in some key rings.

Trust me.

I agree. I like my Skillshot for its portability and small target area. Durability though, is a concern. (I'm on my second set of skins and now it's developed a bit of a lean.)

Mach Lite certainly appears to be a bit more robust and well-made.

I'm very happy with it so far. It seems very solid. Putting is the weakest part of my game and so I'm loving that chance to really work on a putting routine.