• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses EVERYONE loves except... You

And Castle Hayne north of Wilmington.

I watched the 2009 Azalea Open dvd last night and must say, those look like some of the dumbest disc golf holes I have ever seen. Not really sure why anybody would want to play that course. It's not a test of skill, it's a test of luck.

Idlewild in KY.

Too much plinko. Landing zones are not defined and birdies are more based on luck. Scoring separation on too many holes is, throw (layup or hit a tree, upshot, par.
The fake greens on the other sides of water. They are too small. Most players would lay up to them unless you know you need a birdie, so what is their point.
There are like 10 different styles of baskets.
Ok course, probably even a 4+ disc rating...but not a top course. The Orange crush complex in WV with a few trees taken out is much more interesting to me.

I would say Lincoln Ridge. Yes, it is nicely maintained and it's 24 holes, but the design is just average IMO. I have seen a few reviews where people say they like this course better than Idlewild and that just baffles me.

Like the flow of Lincoln a lot more myself. It also doesn't have a handful of water holes that I would skip like Idlewood. From what I've seen, Lincoln gets more traffic.

Bryant Lake in the Twin Cities is the first one that came to mind, but apparently I'm not alone in thinking it's overrated. It's not that it's not a good course, it's just nothing special except for how well it's kept up.

Flip City and Bracketts Bluff (new). Vibe can enhance a course but (for me) can't make a course. Challenging golf holes make a course.

Web is definitely where it's at for Hornets Nest. Only problem is the course is so busy that playing the overlaying long course can be tough to accomplish with lots of traffic on short course.

Surprised by the comments the Castle Hayne looked poke and pray. I found the fairways to be well defined and hittable (as a intermediate player).

Bryant Lake in the Twin Cities is the first one that came to mind, but apparently I'm not alone in thinking it's overrated. It's not that it's not a good course, it's just nothing special except for how well it's kept up.

I find this very strange. While I won't run out there to play everyday I cant say I have ever gone to Bryant Lake and not had a good time. There is something about the feel to that course which is pretty high up there in how its presented and IMO something disc golf lacks BIG time in many courses which provide more of a challenge. To me there is more to a good disc golf course than just the holes you play. Its one of the most scenic of courses around as far as hole layouts go too where every tee feels like a real hole even at shorter distances. You can play OB areas to make it much harder due to how well the greens and other parts of the course are defined which greatly increases the difficulty as a more advanced group playing it.

Its like saying a local 9 hole course is "bad" and get lower reviews due to the size generally and not actual quality of play. I see a lot of people from out of town rating Lochness Park here as a good 9 hole course and well.... :gross: talk about boring and a bad design/layout/land/etc ..

I guess this is the cool part about DG and all the different courses tho! :D Really just like playing them regardless of the local pitch and putt to top level gold champ courses'

Flip City. Don't get me wrong - still in my top 10% (I think I put it somewhere around number 70) but nowhere near my top 10 - great atmosphere, fun people, fun golf, didn't stand out to me as one of the best in the country.

DeLaveaga - I was completely underwhelmed by this one, after hearing all the hype, I saw nothing great about it, sure it was a fun round but I didn't even think it was the best in the area, much less one of the best in the country. And I'm surprised nobody's been killed by the top of the world shot yet.. I don't think I even put it on my list of 120 favorite courses (sorry that the link in my sig is down, I'll work on that one of these days).

Last time a thread like this came up, I mentioned BRP being over-rated...and was blasted beyond belief. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I think it would be a good 18 hole course, but at 27 holes there is a lot of redundancy. My second choice as a significantly over-rated course is Winter Park in Wisconsin. It's ok. Not a bad course, but definitely not elite. Some others I think are over-rated: Hoover Dam in Columbus, OH - Seven Oaks in Nashville, TN - Phantom Falls in Pine, CO ... again, all good courses (some very good) but a little over-hyped.

Last edited:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=473

Courses like Addison Oaks. I'm not that good, so I don't care for super long and hard courses.
I was there when it was first installed and it did take a few tries to get me to even want to go back there. It was a huge change from the Metro Detroit courses that i had played.

Here in Albany my vote goes to Central Park, Schenectady. For no other reason but the back 9 ruins almost every good round I play there.

I've always thought that Waterworks in the Kansas City area is extremely overrated. It just didn't seem that difficult and nothing to get excited about. Prefer Blue Valley Park to it.

I've always thought that Waterworks in the Kansas City area is extremely overrated.

I was going to mention Waterworks as well. It's been 15 years since I played it, but it was heavily hyped even back then -- and I found nothing extraordinary about it.

Oh my gosh how could I forget Earlewood in Columbia SC? Only 3.72 rated but seemingly the soul-mate favorite of many many area golfers. It didn't flutter my putter at all.

I find this very strange. While I won't run out there to play everyday I cant say I have ever gone to Bryant Lake and not had a good time. There is something about the feel to that course which is pretty high up there in how its presented and IMO something disc golf lacks BIG time in many courses which provide more of a challenge. To me there is more to a good disc golf course than just the holes you play. Its one of the most scenic of courses around as far as hole layouts go too where every tee feels like a real hole even at shorter distances. You can play OB areas to make it much harder due to how well the greens and other parts of the course are defined which greatly increases the difficulty as a more advanced group playing it.

Its like saying a local 9 hole course is "bad" and get lower reviews due to the size generally and not actual quality of play. I see a lot of people from out of town rating Lochness Park here as a good 9 hole course and well.... :gross: talk about boring and a bad design/layout/land/etc ..

I guess this is the cool part about DG and all the different courses tho! :D Really just like playing them regardless of the local pitch and putt to top level gold champ courses'

The thing with Bryant is that it is meant for recreational players. Three Rivers is very clear about that. It is not meant to be a championship level course, but something that draws in families. That is why it will cost you an arm and leg to "rent" out the course for tournaments; they do not want to scare recreational, spur-of-the-moment players away by closing it down.

As for being fun despite it not being that challenging is because it has one thing that most Minnesota courses lack, good use of elevation. Yes, it is well kept, better than most other courses, and Three Rivers is doing a great job making it better every year, but it is the elevation changes on numerous holes that turn bland holes into at least enjoyable holes.

As for Lochness, I am totally with you with it being a bad layout. I get the idea of multiple tees to make it a 27, but the course feels like a hike with an occasional throw added in. I do not mind the lengths on Holes 1 and 2; not every hole needs to be aceable. However, Hole 3 is too much of a luck shot, I do not like how you have to punch into the woods on Hole 4, not enough landing zones for Hole 5, Holes 6 and 7 are okay, the long on Hole 8 needs a few more gaps into the woods otherwise there is no point throwing over that pond, and Hole 9 is too close to that path.

Just to add something new to the discussion, I do not understand all the love for CP Adams. Granted, if it were in my backyard I would love it. However, I have to drive about 75 minutes to get there and it is essentially a "city" park with a few buried in the woods. Fairways run too close to each other and it requires manufactured (which are just as poorly placed) mandos and OBs to keep everything straight. I was incredibly upset that of all the courses we had at Am Worlds that we had to play this one twice. I will have one fond memory of it because I scored a legitimate Am Worlds ace on Hole 12 (unlike those faux-aces at Kenwood), but as a whole I think CP is grossly overrated.

Last time a thread like this came up, I mentioned BRP being over-rated...and was blasted beyond belief. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I think it would be a good 18 hole course, but at 27 holes there is a lot of redundancy. My second choice as a significantly over-rated course is Winter Park in Wisconsin. It's ok. Not a bad course, but definitely not elite. Some others I think are over-rated: Hoover Dam in Columbus, OH - Seven Oaks in Nashville, TN - Phantom Falls in Pine, CO ... again, all good courses (some very good) but a little over-hyped.
Totally agree with Winter Park in Wisconsin, was one of those courses I was really amped to play and it just underwhelmed, especially since I picked it over other courses which I am now certain are better.

For me, it's Whispering Falls in Greencastle, PA. I've taken a lot of grief for not liking it (I've played both the old and new layouts). I've gone back about 5 times thinking that maybe I just had a bad day but I still don't like it. My brain says it is a good course but just not for me. Between the confusing navigation, the tight fairways, the horrible shule, I just never enjoy my time there. But my friends do so it's just me. Nevertheless it has a few holes that I like. Vista del Camino was another that disappointed me. It also has a few good holes but in general I was looking at wide open fairways with six baskets visible and a map that has so many alternatives that I was often unsure of what basket to aim at. Morley Field was disappointing because the crowds were so large. I didn't finish it (I only had 2 hours) so I can't really judge it.

Really? I love The Falls and cant wait to get up there again. There's a few holes that aren't great, but there's a ton o' fun to be had. Only problem I ever had was a local picking up my drive and hiding it in a hole in a tree - during a sanctioned round!

DeLa for me. I played great there, but I swear I heard Fore! 50 times in one weekend.

Blasphemy! :mad:

Actually, after 10 years of playing Hoover where absolutely nothing has changed I might have to agree. It's my home course and I love it but it is showing its age and definitely needs updated.

Old, bent baskets and old, inaccurate, defaced tee signs... but what really gets me is that there is no water fountain! How can you have a course that hosts NTs with no water fountain or drink machine??

You playing the ice bowl on Saturday, at hoover nate? I will be up there.
Probably not... I thought about it, but I'm not sure I would have fun trying to throw in the freezing cold. The Ice Bowl was during the polar vortex last year, so that kind of turned me off to the idea :eek:

Do I have to be a member of anything to sign up? I have thought about joining the Columbus Flyers but I dunno if I will.

Latest posts