• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Creating a private course layout on udisc

RAHfrolfer

Bogey Member
Greetings,

I have a local course I play A LOT. After a while you start to want to mix things up. I've figured out an alternate use of the pads and baskets to make a completely different set of holes (as is often done). My layout is just for me at this point. I would love to map it on udisc for my own personal use. For the life of me, I cannot figure out I'd there is a way to do this.

Does anyone know of there is a way to make a custom layout for personal use?

Greetings,

I have a local course I play A LOT. After a while you start to want to mix things up. I've figured out an alternate use of the pads and baskets to make a completely different set of holes (as is often done). My layout is just for me at this point. I would love to map it on udisc for my own personal use. For the life of me, I cannot figure out I'd there is a way to do this.

I'm not positive, but I don't think so. They seem to want to discourage this kind of thing. I've seen multiple places that they only allow the real layouts, not safari layouts (which is what you'd be doing). And I don't think they'll let you "create a new course" because their GPS will read that it's an existing course already.

Apply to become an Ambassador for your course and you'll be able to set up your basic layout and then add alternate layouts.

People playing the actual course and the safari course at the same time is a recipe for problems.

I realize the original post is about a "personal" safari course map, but I agree with DavidSauls, why do you need a map of your safari course if you know where to go already?

I again caution....as a traveling player, finding multiple, nebulously named, layouts to choose from, can be very frustrating. It might be very convenient for you, but maybe there is a personal feature. You might be able to set up this layout for yourself, but not have it be another option for others? Perhaps you just score your rounds on the regular UDisc scorecard with some identifying feature in your name?

Greetings,

I believe that is what Smart Layouts is for on uDisc. See if your course is set up for that.

Apply to become an Ambassador for your course and you'll be able to set up your basic layout and then add alternate layouts.

You could create your "own" course with uDisc (I think that is what Cgkdisc is suggesting). Let's say the existing course is named "Some Park DGC". Instead of another layout for that course, maybe uDisc will allow you to make a whole new course based on the existing one. So instead of "Wild Bill Layout" under the Some Park DGC, you would have a whole new course named Wild Bill DGC. Anyways, check with uDisc to see what is possible.

I would be surprised if Udisc approved a hidden course on top of an existing course. I think you are probably out of luck since they made the switch to smart layouts and needing to be an ambassador to update. I also only use Udisc when absolutely necessary so could be completely wrong.

While I fully endorse getting out and throwing disc golf any way, and any way you want is fun, Safari layouts are incumbent on the thrower being mature and responsible. Often, I've seen lines that are challenging and fun, but would absolutely NOT be safe if ANYONE was about. Not just other disc golfers who hopefully know to keep their heads on a swivel, but 'civilians' who have no idea.
An example is a small neighborhood park where a few Open caliber players decide it would be cool to throw 400' over the water retention 'bowl, across a path, and around a blind wood line to a basket that's 40 feet short of the park shelter if coming in from that direction.
One accident is enough to get a course pulled by the park district who never approved the Safari layout.

While I fully endorse getting out and throwing disc golf any way, and any way you want is fun, Safari layouts are incumbent on the thrower being mature and responsible. Often, I've seen lines that are challenging and fun, but would absolutely NOT be safe if ANYONE was about. Not just other disc golfers who hopefully know to keep their heads on a swivel, but 'civilians' who have no idea.
An example is a small neighborhood park where a few Open caliber players decide it would be cool to throw 400' over the water retention 'bowl, across a path, and around a blind wood line to a basket that's 40 feet short of the park shelter if coming in from that direction.
One accident is enough to get a course pulled by the park district who never approved the Safari layout.

Great post. I played a safari league round last summer. It was foolish. A dozen league players occupying TWO courses and making a shooting gallery for both us and nearly every player on both courses. It was selfish and entitled. It was newer league and a newish league coordinator. I did try to have a discussion with him later. It was not well received. Safari is cool, on an empty course with no chance of accidental injury to anyone.

Plus, there's the hazard of helpful people, thinking you're lost or an idiot and shouting out, "No, the basket's over THERE!" I haven't worked out the hand signals to pantomime "Thanks, I know that, I'm just playing safari golf" from 250' away.

Yeah, better to find an empty course.

Great post. I played a safari league round last summer. It was foolish. A dozen league players occupying TWO courses and making a shooting gallery for both us and nearly every player on both courses. It was selfish and entitled. It was newer league and a newish league coordinator. I did try to have a discussion with him later. It was not well received. Safari is cool, on an empty course with no chance of accidental injury to anyone.

Do baseball players ever go out alone to run the bases in random order?

"Man, that run from first to third is an absolute hypotenuse!"

I've seen courses with 8 or 9 layouts. Most were ridiculous: a layout playing long on even holes and odds on shorts; another layout playing long on odds and shorts on evens. Layout playing holes 1-9 twice; another playing 10-18 twice. Throw in multiple safari layouts. It seems UDisc cracked the whip in that garbage because nobody could tell which is the correct, normal layout to play. A big part was that UDisc realized nobody cares about a person's safari layout except that person. This sounds to be the case here again.

I've seen courses with 8 or 9 layouts. Most were ridiculous: a layout playing long on even holes and odds on shorts; another layout playing long on odds and shorts on evens. Layout playing holes 1-9 twice; another playing 10-18 twice. Throw in multiple safari layouts. It seems UDisc cracked the whip in that garbage because nobody could tell which is the correct, normal layout to play. A big part was that UDisc realized nobody cares about a person's safari layout except that person. This sounds to be the case here again.
Only the multiple safari layouts in BOLD above might be ridiculous. The rest you mention are standard practice in various places to provide "safe" variety for both challenge and skill level. Check out the 10 official layouts in UDisc for the highly rated Blueberry Hill at Highbridge, for example, all which are color coded on the tee posts so they're easier to follow.

In the early 90s, I created the "Barber Pole" layouts for tournaments in Minnesota where in the morning players played from short red tees on odd holes and long white tees on evens. Then, switched for the afternoon round. That allowed the field to play every tee in a way where both rounds took about the same amount of time to play.

UDisc not only allows designers to codify alternative layouts (unlike DGCD) but provides navigation so players can follow them. However, I agree that the holes in alternative layouts SHOULD follow the designed fairways versus bushwacking everywhere across the course safari style.

There are no absolutes. We have a private course with 2 overlapping 18 hole layouts, plus at half-dozen hybrid layouts, mixing holes from each and a handful of safari holes. We've used some of these in tournaments, and can track scores on them when they're played casually.

They aren't "safari" layouts (the overlap of the main layouts is tricky enough), and the course gets light play so there's little danger.

Which is entirely different from safari golf on a well-used public course.

Before you upload you "just for me for now" safari layout on Udisc, go over to the Course Directory and take a look at the safari layouts at Polliwog Park in Manhattan Beach, CA.

Oh, wait.

You can't.

Because the course got pulled after the city got sued by a woman who lost an eye after she was hit by a disc thrown by a moron playing one of the idiotic safari layouts designed by assclowns (who, quite helpfully, claimed credit for their jackassery) who decided that the approved layout—which was already a lawsuit waiting to happen—wasn't "challenging enough." But you can read the discussion about it here and here.

Do you REALLY want to be responsible for the course getting pulled if a park user is seriously injured by someone playing your unauthorized layout?

I often play a course with short and long tees where some of the shorts are better holes, and some of the longs are better. I've figured out how to change the tee box on UDisc, but I have to do it every time, and it doesn't keep my stats for me.

My favorite place to do this locally is Meyer Broadway North. If you play all shorts, many of them are deuce or die, but I like many of them too. There are several long tee placements I really dig. So when I play casually there, I play my favorite tees. A lot of times I'll skip a long tee because it's just an added stroke, like on hole 1. I'm almost always landing near where the short tee is on my drive, and then the scoreable strokes start from there. I almost always get a 4 from the long, but the short tee is a 3 or a 4 for me. So I like that one from the shorts. However, like on Hole #3, I'm always getting a 3 from the short tee and getting a 3 or a 4 from the long, so I play that one for the added challenge and scoring separation.

It would be nice if there was a separate drop box in UDisc of hidden extra layouts like this you can search for, but they don't confuse everybody what the "official" layout is. I'm not talking about safari layouts, just ones where the different pin and tee permutations can be listed. Who knows, maybe somebody will come up with a combination that a lot of others like and play often.

Here's specifically what I do at MB-north. This layout seems to suit my ability well and leads to more scoreable play for me. 1s, 2L, 3L, 4L, 5L, 6s, 7s, 8 (both s and L are the same), 9s, 10s, 11s (unless the pin is in the short position, then I play long, which isn't often lately), 12s, 13s, 14L, 15s, 16s, 17L, 18L. So it's like a "shorts-plus" layout. I wish UDisc could keep my stats for these rounds! I suppose I could go all 1996 here and do it myself on a spreadsheet...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I live in the city and work about 1000 miles up in northern rural Canada.
I have a different experience of safari golf than many users here as one of our city courses actually has no tee pads. There are about 50 different course layouts from random spots on the grounds. When you go on. Saturday people understand that everyone is playing a different layout and we all seem to get along.
When I work up north there is rarely another person on the course let alone in the park. I would be as likely to hit a dog walker on the regular course as my personal course so I just wait till the dog walkers are out of the way. No one is in a rush up there and I'm not either. After the millionth time playing the same course, I decided to mix things up. I was curious about the distances on the holes so I thought it would be neat to use the gps map to find out distances. Also, it would be cool to be able to track how I did on my own course layout over time.
In any case, maybe I'll convince the local league to play my safari course and udisc will allow me to add it to the official layout?

Latest posts