• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Crazy Shots!

a skip ace is pretty ordinary. a water or ice skip ace though is something juicy.

i actually throw a flick with a wasp about 200 feet out. skip off the ice middle of december or january minnesota winter and it grabbed the back side of the basket chains and stayed in. wish i had it on video. probably couldnt do it again in 100 tries but i have a good story to tell! haha

These are some crazy shots indeed! I played a new course in Princeton, West Virginia and got psyched out by a large branch guarding the top of the basket and made the tragic mistake of throwing too low. Somehow, I managed to skip one over the water hazard!

Wind was savior

Craziest shot was a mistake that the Wind God took mercy on me with.

I essentially needed a hyzer bomb that hugged the tree line. I threw my Wraith, but it was WAY to flat and too far outside the tree line. Just as it hit the outside of the alley, the wind kicked up hard and it parked about 10 feet from the basket.

Best ace I've seen was at a tournament at a (now defunct) course called Pieradise DGC... there was a hole that was an island hole where the basket was surrounded by four giant logs and you had to get it inside those logs off the tee or it was OB with a rethrow. This kid threw a shot that looked way too low and we all thought it was going to be OB short of the front log, but it ended up skipping off the top of the log and went straight into the basket. If it hadn't gone in it would have easily gone OB long because he had some serious heat on it.

I personally saw three aces that day, two on my card and one on the card behind us. Can anyone beat that?

A few years back (2009 I think) at the Down East Player's Cup in Greenville the wind was pretty stiff and gusting close to 30 mph. I landed about 50 or 60 long past the basket and there is OB about 10 feet behind it coming back. In order to make sure I didn't take a 4 on such a short hole, I wanted to just slide it up and take my 3. I took a "jump putt" type stance and threw my magic right at the ground in front of the basket. As it came out of my hand, it hooked on my fingers and the wind turned it sideways. It hit the ground rolling and probably rolled close to 100 feet total in a big horseshoe shape in the open field before finally rolling right up, tapping the pole, and laying down for a drop in.

As my cardmate Jerry agreed, I totally meant to do that.

That (post #25) is a really neat shot. :clap: And I guess I'd post it even if it wasn't my first/ only throw, too...(the multiple cameras and the fact that he'd already grabbed a disc for another throw show they were filming for a cubby ace).

But the title of the thread doesn't ask for aces, just crazy shots, and that neat plinko-ka-ching is really cool!

Another of my favorite crazy shots was on the old style Discatcher's with larger holes in the top. A friend of mine in a monthly tournament hit a tree about 15 short of the basket, ricocheted into another tree closer to the basket, then shot into the top area of the basket, only to to turn up vertically, stand for about 5 seconds, and then fall through into the basket for an ace. This was about 6 years ago, so the shot counted as far as I know. I know we counted it, anyhow.

I've had many aces and some were crazier than others. I once threw a blind hole in a tournament at the Ace Run Ranch and couldn't locate my disc. I was looking and beginning to panic because a clock was started. Someone came walking back from the next tee to get their mini that they had forgotten. They pointed out my red disc was in the basket. I seriously didn't think I could throw it that far. I guess my playing partners didn't either.

I've had many aces and some were crazier than others. I once threw a blind hole in a tournament at the Ace Run Ranch and couldn't locate my disc. I was looking and beginning to panic because a clock was started. Someone came walking back from the next tee to get their mini that they had forgotten. They pointed out my red disc was in the basket. I seriously didn't think I could throw it that far. I guess my playing partners didn't either.

Oh my....imagine if it went longer and you declared it lost...to lose the ace & ace pool...

Probably not the craziest, but the most recent. I was playing a heavily wooded hole and I was stuck behind an extremely slow and immature group of yeehaw yahoos. Seemed like one of them was always yelling out something. Due to frustration I had lost my focus and shanked my drive off a tree about 50' from the tee. After assessing the situation, I realized that I had absolutely no line to aim for. I couldn't even see the basket. I'm about 175' from the pin so I just basically close my eyes and give it hell. I throw a laser beam that manages to miss every branch (I was aiming through a window about 2' wide), listen as it hits a tree about 30' to the left of the basket, ricochets and splashes through the chains. The trees were so thick that I didn't see any of this happen. It didn't stick but was an easy drop in 3. From where I was standing, I was expecting at least a 4.

Check out the shot at the 0:14 mark.

Last edited:

Latest posts