• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Creating artificial obstacle/trees ?

BCDan

Par Member
So, I have a lot of field space to design holes, but I don't know how to make them at all challenging. In lieu of planting trees, I was thinking of using multiple fence posts /pvc pipes as artificial trees....

Like, you could stack 4 or 5 side by side, creating a 6 or 8 feet high wall.... and put them 40 feet in front of the basket, or 40 feet out from the teepad, etc.

Imagine 4 or 5 of these lined up side by side guarding a green.

Attachments

• targ.jpg
    targ.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 141
If it were me, I'd definitely prefer planting trees.

Not sure where the funding is coming from, but Adam Jones and crew have 300 trees to plant at Osage Grove this weekend, to define the more open holes, as he had planned. Might check with him on how that's being accomplished.

...and of course I'm just brainstorming here, but this made me think of a way to work with a community on putting in some nice pines every year: get every family you can (maybe those that access or use the space) to buy a live (root balled) Chistmas tree each year and donate them to the cause?

You could buy a crepe myrtle for a couple bucks more than the cost of a few 4x4 posts- they grow fast and look nice too.

I think most people would prefer trees. Problem is, saplings really don't grow well when subjected to constatnt tree hits, and buying mature trees is pricey. If you're planting trees well away from the line of fire, you could plant saplings and they'd do alright... but if they're not all that likely to get hit, are they really affecting the shot?

Doug hit on a key point: fast growing.

So, I have a lot of field space to design holes, but I don't know how to make them at all challenging. In lieu of planting trees, I was thinking of using multiple fence posts /pvc pipes as artificial trees....

Like, you could stack 4 or 5 side by side, creating a 6 or 8 feet high wall.... and put them 40 feet in front of the basket, or 40 feet out from the teepad, etc.

^^^Looks like a tone pole. It'll have to look more natural for me. Gotta go with trees.

One thing I've done as temp obstacles that is kinda similar was to use large dead branches from trees and dig a post sized hole and plant them into the ground. The bigger the branches with no leaves the better. With a little trimming they can end up looking like a dead tree that's been there for years. The possibilities to create unique obstacles are endless and you can change them with ease rather quickly. They don't cost anything and can be found almost anywhere. It can buy you some time until your real trees grow big enough.

Trees. You can get them pretty cheaply. Posts won't grow taller over the years.

Near the tee, young trees may not survive disc impacts, but further down the fairway they should be fine. Trees with lots of low foliage have a bit of built-in protection.

But---depending on the location, getting small trees established over the first couple of years is tough. At least the posts don't require watering.

You could also add shrubs and bushes to help shape lines, provide faux elevation changes to clear them.

On the other hand I like the idea of a "urban" setup with all non natural obstacles. Piles of pallets, posts, buy a few trailers and park them there. Just really redneck it out. Maybe a few huge mudpits.

After writing that i realize trees still wins...

Yeah, i been debating on a man-made tree myself, its a really sandy hill but i was hoping to just insert a telephone pole and then drill holes in it and place "branches" with old cracked and deformed discs at the end, i think a "disc" tree would be cool.

Watching some Scandinavian tournament videos I've noticed they use strategically placed crossed posts or a lattice fence. It doesn't look too bad to me.

You might also consider planting some trees and putting up posts or a fence in front of the saplings or young trees to protect them until they can hold their own against discs.

Watching some Scandinavian tournament videos I've noticed they use strategically placed crossed posts or a lattice fence. It doesn't look too bad to me.

You might also consider planting some trees and putting up posts or a fence in front of the saplings or young trees to protect them until they can hold their own against discs.

Lattice doesnt sound too bad- but would probably break with the right shot. a Chainlink wall with Ivy grown over the whole thing might be interesting- still natural, grows fast, and noone is gonna bust through chainlink fence.

An alternative way to deal with open space---depending on your taste---is to create O.B.

^^^Looks like a tone pole. It'll have to look more natural for me. Gotta go with trees.

One thing I've done as temp obstacles that is kinda similar was to use large dead branches from trees and dig a post sized hole and plant them into the ground. The bigger the branches with no leaves the better. With a little trimming they can end up looking like a dead tree that's been there for years. The possibilities to create unique obstacles are endless and you can change them with ease rather quickly. They don't cost anything and can be found almost anywhere. It can buy you some time until your real trees grow big enough.

Yep, they look like targets. Not a good option in my opinion either.

How about planting dead tree trunks? This has been used successfully near me, with trunks still standing well after a decade. The park folks utilized a nice fat hole auger and dug as deeply as they could. Trunks of a slightly smaller diameter were inserted into the hole and packed into place, I think using a front end loader (which ran the auger as well). This allows for a somewhat more natural look at a very modest price. A few well placed trunks can go a long way towards reshaping a hole or limiting options off the tee.

Joe

I imagine a course like this where you acquire random objects - imagine old broken down cars, like a bunch of cadillacs stood up on end to make "carhenge" surrounding a basket, or whatever kind of cars you can get your hands on, It probably wouldn't take too much effort to find people wanting to get rid of their cars that don't work, strip the motors out first and bam, unique hole. Or how about old construction equipment, a big back hoe or dump truck could make a cool obstacle... or I don't know, I bet if you scoured craigs list or went to some auctions you could come up with all kinds of crazy obstacles for relatively inexpensive..

I don't have an issue with man made obstacles. Personally I enjoy the beauty of playing in a forested setting, but I'm hearing a lot of people who want trees because we've always had them, and who may not be thinking outside the box enough. Sometimes a 2.5 star course is better than nothing.

The chain link fence idea was awesome, especially when you incorporate ivy to add some natural beauty. I've considered using railroad ties buried vertically and closely spaced, OB, and multiple mandos as solutions when trying to figure out how to add interest to an open space my buddy is building a home course on. I realize that in a perfect world having multiple mandos to force a certain line on a hole, or tons of OB, is not what everyone wants. However it is better than playing in an open field with no challenge. One suggestion would be to cut your mando signs in the shape of an arrow, and anchor them with a single bolt so you can spin them and change the lines. Pairing two up on a hole has allowed us to force several different routes (S-curve, pure hyzer, pure anhyzer). However, it's important to experiment before finalizing sign placement. If they're too close together, there is no realistic line. If they're too far apart there is no challenge. It can be a hard balance to strike, but it does allow for a fun addition to a hole if you get it right.

In Penn Valley, CA some rapscallions broke down a dead tree that was part of the fairway. Jeff Stoops and his gal at the time (Nancy) replaced the tree with a large metal pipe(cemented in) and Nancy painted it like a totem pole. I liked it! Artsy and effective.

If you make something, like what you showed, use old portable basketball poles. That DONG!!! sound is so gratifying when you hear it throughout the course.

How about planting dead tree trunks? This has been used successfully near me, with trunks still standing well after a decade. The park folks utilized a nice fat hole auger and dug as deeply as they could. Trunks of a slightly smaller diameter were inserted into the hole and packed into place, I think using a front end loader (which ran the auger as well). This allows for a somewhat more natural look at a very modest price. A few well placed trunks can go a long way towards reshaping a hole or limiting options off the tee.

Joe

Cedar works perfectly for this, 12' cedar posts, certainly would be an look better than poles and PVC.

I had assumed a public park, but realize that may be a false assumption. Which changes a lot, aesthetic-wise. I like Dewgarita's idea because, if you're going with bad taste, go all the way!

One drawback to poles is that they're not tall enough to be much of a factor, except around the basket or perhaps close to the tee.

The Hippodrome has covered some of this territory already. Check out pictures of that course.

Mando islands to land in made from a circle of bricks. These can go around the basket, or out in the fairway, etc, etc. This can add instant challenge to any wide open boring hole.