• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Last night at league we found a turtle laying eggs into a hole about 20 feet from a basket. Tonite at league we found a 4 foot rattlesnake next to a tee pad.

david sauls can probably correct me/colaborate about the bird, but i saw a Hawk (may have been a red tail, it was really big) at Earlewood Park in Columbia SC 5 years ago at the Earlewood Classic. we had just finnished with our round and were hanging out in the Parking lot getting ready to leave. all of a sudden the Hawk swoops down just above our heads and grabs a smaller bird right out of the air. It then lands on top of one of the light poles in the parkling lot on one leg with the smaller bird still in its other claw. Then proceeds to have dinner right in front of us. the smaller birds feathers were falling like snow flakes. Crazy!

Almost certainly correct about it being a Redtail Hawk. There are a couple in the park. I came across a pair on the ground across from #10, mangling a squirrel, on a day I happened to have a camera; they took off and I got a great picture of one going right by the basket, half a squirrel in its talons.

Almost certainly correct about it being a Redtail Hawk. There are a couple in the park. I came across a pair on the ground across from #10, mangling a squirrel, on a day I happened to have a camera; they took off and I got a great picture of one going right by the basket, half a squirrel in its talons.

That sounds amazing. Any chance you'd post it?

During a casual round I ran into this guy right here. Unfortunately I didn't realize he was there until after I thrown from that lie. Luckily he didn't strike me when I reached down to retrieve my disc.

null_zps11fce996.jpg

Probably woke him up from his nap and was still trying to figure out what was going on. Did you seriously not use a stick to get your disc after you say him? I bow before your bravery.

.....the one with the basket in frame wasn't nearly as good:

Img_0661.jpg

Anyway, Dave, there's your hawk.

Weeks before a tournament we had repeated sightings of a copperhead in the creek right next to the #13 basket.....and I mean, right next to the basket:

Hole%2013%20Green%20(3).jpg

Couldn't have that, so my brother staked it out and shot it. When we pulled it out and examined it, turned out not to be a copperhead at all, but a similarly-patterned northern water snake. Oops.

1) Cool pix of that hawk!
2) I'd mess my pants if I went to pick up my disc and found a copperhead... or any snake for that matter. But I think it's cool how you were able to train it to mark your lie!

Weeks before a tournament we had repeated sightings of a copperhead in the creek right next to the #13 basket.....and I mean, right next to the basket:

Couldn't have that, so my brother staked it out and shot it. When we pulled it out and examined it, turned out not to be a copperhead at all, but a similarly-patterned northern water snake. Oops.

Imitating dangerous animals may be a valid survival strategy in nature, but it's not without it's drawbacks, eh?

Last edited:
We redefined this groundhog's territory. He now lives between hole 10 and 18 at Carrollton Park (which used to be a neighborhood by the airport). He likes disc golfers better than suburbanites. He has a family now.

Carrolltongroundhog_zps3e328a3c.jpg

Imitating dangerous animals may be a valid survival strategy in nature, but it's not without it's drawbacks, eh?

Very true.

Of course, all snakes are dangerous. Oh, most of them might not be venomous, but the ligament damage that occurs in the seconds after you see one by your foot can be quite serious.

Wow, solid pics of that hawk! :eek:

Of course, all snakes are dangerous. Oh, most of them might not be venomous, but the ligament damage that occurs in the seconds after you see one by your foot can be quite serious.
lulz!

During a casual round I ran into this guy right here. Unfortunately I didn't realize he was there until after I thrown from that lie. Luckily he didn't strike me when I reached down to retrieve my disc.

null_zps11fce996.jpg

He would have bit the hell out of u if u were throwing a ROC :)

F5961957-7AA6-4C0F-9A52-8DFD246E59E5-2151-000001B1B9E42048.jpg

Posted this earlier in the thread. Prolly the biggest rattlesnake i will ever see! It was massive, i couldnt even get very close to take a good pic cause of its striking range. So awsome!

At marana rock, AZ disc golf course last year.

Terrified of snakes

If I knew there were snakes like some of these pictured in earlier post on a course i was playing I would definitely would be leaving any of my discs in the rough! I play at Blue lake 3-4 times a week and am terrified of small gardner snakes!

F5961957-7AA6-4C0F-9A52-8DFD246E59E5-2151-000001B1B9E42048.jpg

Posted this earlier in the thread. Prolly the biggest rattlesnake i will ever see! It was massive, i couldnt even get very close to take a good pic cause of its striking range. So awsome!

At marana rock, AZ disc golf course last year.

absolutely beautiful western, she looks grumpy though.

null_zps11fce996.jpg

Where was this at? Royston?

Latest posts