• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

crown point IN tournament...no jump putt?

bsu12345

Par Member
it was announced at the players meeting that outside of 10 meters you could not cross the plan of the disc and if you did it would be a penalty. I was wondering what you all thought of this. the td read some rule about not crossing the plan of the disc but when I looked in the rule book it says as long as you have a supporting foot down behind the disc before you release the disc.

I am just curious since the worlds were there in 2010 and are going to be there in 2013...it seems like most of the top pros putt like this outside 10 meter(jump and walk type putting)

i think these are the same guys who run tournaments and allow shots from over a road but on a road is ob so anything they do i would take with a grain of salt...

Its Brian, he's dumb. Hate to break it to ya.

Yeah, I was at that tourney and got into an argument with a player about that rule. Some people just don't interpret rules very well,, I guess we'll run into that more at the am levels. Mostly am2 and lower. I'm guessing advanced and especially pro level players should have a pretty good understanding of this rule. I need to just hurry up and get better so I don't have to deal with this much ignorance lol. I would be so ticked if I was on a card where 2 guys tried to stroke me for a legal jump putt. Putt jump is a better wording in my opinion. And when the TD is on their side, that is just sad to see a TD who doesn't understand a rule about putting outside the circle which is pretty clear in my opinion.

im all for getting rid of those feldburg putts, but you have to follow the rules as written and the rules state feldburg putts are legal, for now.

Please just stop calling them putts. The rule book defines a putt as a shot within 10m. Outside of 10m it's a drive, you may use a putter or a putting motion but by the rules it's a drive. Jump putts are illegal, following through with a putting disc from outside of 10m is not because it's a drive.

: ) :

If there are no jump puts outside of 10m then you could also call someone for following through off the tee. I dont' know about most people, but there is no way I could stop myself from stepping off the front of the tee (after release) when trying to drive 200'+.

Yeah, I was at that tourney and got into an argument with a player about that rule. Some people just don't interpret rules very well,, I guess we'll run into that more at the am levels. Mostly am2 and lower. I'm guessing advanced and especially pro level players should have a pretty good understanding of this rule. I need to just hurry up and get better so I don't have to deal with this much ignorance lol. I would be so ticked if I was on a card where 2 guys tried to stroke me for a legal jump putt. Putt jump is a better wording in my opinion. And when the TD is on their side, that is just sad to see a TD who doesn't understand a rule about putting outside the circle which is pretty clear in my opinion.

just one of the reasons i wont go back to a tourney there, last year the td allowed a guy in my group to play from ON a road when it was clear in the players meeting that roads were ob, i guess it helps the guy was one of the sponsors kids

there is no way I could stop myself from stepping off the front of the tee (after release) when trying to drive 200'+.

yeah there is - you would find a way to stop yourself if there was a drop-off of more than 1-2' in front of the tee.

At Lemon Lake, I showed up to a doubles tournament late and they were kind enough to let me play "lone wolf". But they would only give me one extra throw per hole even on the par-5's on Gold. I had a lot of fun, but it was not to much fun to see everyone else getting many more do-overs than I got.

On topic:
Was this a PDGA sanctioned tournament? If not, the TD can make up whatever rules he/she wants (and hope players follow/enforce them). If it is sanctioned, there would need to be a waiver from the PDGA to incorporate ground rules that are in variance to the rulebook and competition manual.

Last edited:
On topic:
Was this a PDGA sanctioned tournament? If not, the TD can make up whatever rules he/she wants (and hope players follow/enforce them). If it is sanctioned, there would need to be a waiver from the PDGA to incorporate ground rules that are in variance to the rulebook and competition manual.

Yup. B - Tier.
Indiana State Championships.

Here's what it comes down to -
The kid leading the series does a putt jump from outside of the 10 meter circle. Dudes from a certain town don't like the putt jump and complained to the TD. The TD then came out at the player's meeting and said that no one could break the plane of their lie unless they had already released the disc. Ridiculous.

The rule is easy to understand. And in spite of several of us arguing the rule, with rule book in hand, on the course, the complainers were not hearing it. They even went so far as to say that "good players don't use it." When I brought up Feldberg and Climo, they said that I couldn't use them as examples. Heh.

Anyway, it's all sour grapes from one or two players. And somehow, the TD just didn't know the rule. here is the rule for anyone that needs clarity:

803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing
A. When the disc is released, a player must: (1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surfaceon the line of play and within 30 centimters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in 803.04 E); and, (2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and, (3) have all of his or her supporting points inbounds.
B. Stepping past the marker disc is permitted after the disc is released, except when putting within 10 meters.

At Lemon Lake, I showed up to a doubles tournament late and they were kind enough to let me play "lone wolf". But they would only give me one extra throw per hole even on the par-5's on Gold. I had a lot of fun, but it was not to much fun to see everyone else getting many more do-overs than I got.

thats how we play lone wolf or "cali style" here

just curious what you expected to get?
most i've played allow you to buy in twice for "your partners shots" if you are the odd man out, but if not you get one extra shot per hole.

haha, this might be why Indiana dg is so backwards :)

Yup. B - Tier.
Indiana State Championships.

Here's what it comes down to -
The kid leading the series does a putt jump from outside of the 10 meter circle. Dudes from a certain town don't like the putt jump and complained to the TD. The TD then came out at the player's meeting and said that no one could break the plane of their lie unless they had already released the disc. Ridiculous.

Perhaps I am missing it...isn't the bold part correct? You must release the disc before you break the plane, right? Or from outside 10m are you allowed to be past the plane with disc still in your hand until your foot touches?

The plane doesn't matter at all. You can't have a supporting point in front of your lie, and you must have a supporting point directly behind your lie. In other words, your foot behind your disc/marker must stay there until you've released, but your arm, body and other leg can all be in front of that as long as you're not touching the ground until after you release the disc.

No. A supporting point cannot be past the lie. But almost every throw players make break the plane with their arm before release.....except for maybe some crazy over hand or side arm throws