• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Curved Inside [putter] Rim..

GripEnemy

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Premium Member
Carry over (kinda) from the MVP Driver thread...was the Ion the first putter to utilize the curved inner rim? If not, what was? Wasn't sure how to search for this one, normally I'm a 'Rube-ee.

Part deux, how much do you love/hate it, or does the curved inner rim not even matter to you?

Technically, no. The magic had convex and concave inner rims in certain runs.

As for part 2 - I absolutely hate the inner rim of the Ion. And plus style rims. I cannot get a good grip/feel on the release with those style rims.

The magic had convex and concave inner rims in certain runs.

Come again? :)

Don't mean to sound ignorant, I just don't comprehend how it had both lol...don't recall even holding one before.

Come again? :)

Don't mean to sound ignorant, I just don't comprehend how it had both lol...don't recall even holding one before.

Both were artifacts of the molding process with the specific plastic blends they were using. I think it was about 3 years ago.

One run had a convex inner rim, sort of a 'speed bump' in the middle instead of a plus style gradual slope. Another run had a concave rim, felt like a bevel inside the rim when you gripped it. I actually have thrown some early champion destroyers than had this molding artifact.

Both were artifacts of the molding process with the specific plastic blends they were using. I think it was about 3 years ago.

One run had a convex inner rim, sort of a 'speed bump' in the middle instead of a plus style gradual slope. Another run had a concave rim, felt like a bevel inside the rim when you gripped it. I actually have thrown some early champion destroyers than had this molding artifact.

Yeah, I've seen a couple wizards with slightly concave rims, as well as some innova discs. Some of the innovas were x-outs, but a couple weren't. But in either case I don't think it was purposely done, not sure if it's a shrinking issue or a molding issue.

Shrinkage?

That's what I was thinking, though it may be both, if the plastic is less dense right around the PLH, I think it can lead to that area shrinking faster than the rest as it will retain less heat energy than the rest of the disc. These are just my intuitive thoughts based on my limited exposure to physics.

Woot! par member post #100

I personally don't like the feel of the rim that is radiused out. I had a few short stints trying the ion and just didn't like the grip. I've thrown a few mids with the same style grip (gateway warrior comes to mind) that didn't bother me too much. I think the rounding of the point where the plate meets the rim was a little more subtle in those though. Or maybe it was because the rim wasn't as deep.

Latest posts