• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

David Feldberg putting clinic

majorsick said:
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this just feels awful to me. It wobbles like hell and I can't get any consistency.

Since this is the preferred style of Climo, Schultz, and Feldberg, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's because you're doing something wrong :)

I've been working on this for a couple weeks now, and the timing of it is not intuitive. But try this and see if it helps:

• Imagine your standing in a bar at a shuffleboard table. You do know what a bar-shuffleboard table looks like, don'tcha?
  • the part where you're bringing your arm and the disc up while coming up on the ball of your foot is kind of like bringing the puck up to the table
  • the part where you're pushing/accelerating is like pushing the puck down the table, and the little kick with the off-leg is the offsetting action that gets a little more power into it.
  • don't forget to adjust the nose up a little if you keep hitting low. Not a lot, just a little.

This isn't where I've ended up, and I'm not 100% there yet, but it was one of the visualizations I used to figure out how to time the raise-up-on-front-foot-and-push-with-pop when I was having a hard time getting consistency. Good luck

Tried this out for a bit this afternoon with some mixed results. At first it was flying out like a wounded duck trying to fly but I soon fixed that by kind of cocking my wrist some. I think doing that adds spin though, no? Anyway, that got it flying nice and straight, but then I threw my aim off by a couple inches to the right. I remember from my one viewing of the first 4 of these videos that he talks about vision and eye dominance so I think I'll get that fixed up easy enough. Getting my back foot off at the right time was definitely key though.

It doesn't feel totally comfortable yet and my accuracy's not as good as when I'm spin putting yet, but I think I can see how it will benefit me if I can dial it in. I'll keep up with the practice but I'm having trouble committing too it when I'm out for a round so far because my spin putting's just recently seen a big improvement so it's hard not to use it in a round. So far I've just been trying it out during practice and the odd funsie putt during a casual round. I suppose I should really commit to it for a week or two to see how it comes around.

I showed this technique to my wife yesterday, and she thinks it makes perfect sense. Trouble is getting it to work from over 15' with only opening the hand and letting go. The key to making this work at up to 10m is to use the spring of the fingers. Feldberg did not go into this part in great enough detail, but Blake's comments and articles have a lot of info on this for anyone interested in filling in that gap.

You can force a push putt if you keep your throwing shoulder from sticking out farther than your other shoulder throughout the entire putting motion.

Its just logical to increase consistency by keeping all of your movements toward the basket.

Dave let the guys in on a little secret in that video, and it was cocking your wrist slightly to line up with the rest of your stance (in particular the direction of your feet), and then releasing so that your fingers are pointing at the target. That's going to put some spin on the putt, right? So you're just trying to reduce the amount of spin by push putting, not eliminate it?

I'm having some pretty good success reducing my spin to that one quick wrist movement and letting my body momentum/palm push/finger spring/nose up do the rest. Without that little bit of spin, I end up putting a wobbly brick. I don't know how much of a spin putter vs push putter I am now, but I haven't been missing left or right like I used to, and I haven't had to drastically change my technique.

I consider myself to be a coordinated person. I played all sports growing up. I also got into darts, horseshoes, pool, etc. I can usually figure something out after a few tries, but this technique took me a LOOOOONG time to figure out. As a comparison, it took me about a year to learn how to throw a drive properly, and its taken me almost three years to figure this out.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone into learning this, everyone is different and everyone learns at a different pace but its not something you're going to pick up in a couple weeks.

The best part is, once you do actually figure it out, you have to spend a lot of time keeping it in good shape. So just be patient with it, it is going to take some time.

emiller3: There is spin on this putt. It is not a knuckle ball putt. Like you're describing, it will flutter without the right amount of spin. The trick is not intentionally spinning it, but letting the spin happen because its the result of everything working together correctly. I hope that makes sense.

I am getting the hang of this more and more every day. I am honestly putting every chance that I get which has probably been 2 hours or so a day since I saw the videos which may be why I am picking it up as quick as I am. I have just been practicing in my basement though due to snow and whatnot so we will see what happens when I go outside. I have fixed my nose down problems by going through a routine that involves doing a slow simulation putt which I don't release where I really force myself to putt the nose up. My putt comes out much more flat than what I simulate, but it is not nose down at least. I won't get to practice as much tomorrow, but Thursday I will be at it all day. It is funny how sore my legs are from this so I think a day off would be good for me anyway.

rusch_bag said:
http://thedridge.com/disc_golf.html

:D :p :) :eek: :shock: 8) :lol:

you sir are the man!!!!!! I have sooooo wanted to watch this video for the 6th time. My last few putting practices since watching this video have progressively been my best putting practices ever. I dont follow everything to a "T" as I think everyone needs to do whats comfortable but there are many key points in the video that have helped me a TON.

I just HOPE this vid doesnt get pulled :evil:

disc junkie said:
rusch_bag said:
http://thedridge.com/disc_golf.html

I just HOPE this vid doesnt get pulled :evil:

you can download flash videos like this from the web. if you use firefox for your browser you can utilize this free program:
http://www.web-video-downloader.com/

thanks for the input A. Mutt

if the vid is still up once I get home I will be doing this ASAP

Man, I putt like Climo in my basement, 18 feet out into the couch cushions with this push putt now, but get me out on the course and I'm a messy mix of spin and push putting missing left, right, high and low.

I've read many stories about the kind of person Feldberg is on the course or during a tourney, and quite frankly, I could care less. He is one of 3 people (Ellis and Blake being the other 2) that excel at explaining what is going on in discgolf motions.

I get the feeling we as DGR should take the stance of not to promote the theft of video content in any shape form or fashion. That said, this is a fantastic video and I don't believe there are any legal ramifications of educating people on how to download uncopyrighted video content on the web.

T-Bird said:
There does not appear to be any copyright restrictions on this video. Yet.

Right, but if there's one thing i've learned in industry its: cover your ass.

Latest posts