• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dead Straight Fairway Driver with no Fade

the dx teebirds ive been getting from several online dealers and locally are VERY stiff and flatter than the uber domey teebirds of a few years ago but with a nice moderate dome than flattens out at the top. They are VERY nice. They arent as flat as the flat champs, but not as domey as star/domey champs...and much less domey than the crazy dome top dx teebirds I was complaining about a few years ago which has no flattness on the top of their dome. These are my favorite teebirds yet. Stable enough to handle a nice wind when new to slightly broken in and break in very slowly to be dead straight on drives less than 400'. The stiff dx plastic is second to NONE. I actually prefer them to 10x kc pro teebirds and CE TLs.

Aaron_D said:
the dx teebirds ive been getting from several online dealers and locally are VERY stiff and flatter than the uber domey teebirds of a few years ago but with a nice moderate dome than flattens out at the top. They are VERY nice. They arent as flat as the flat champs, but not as domey as star/domey champs...and much less domey than the crazy dome top dx teebirds I was complaining about a few years ago which has no flattness on the top of their dome. These are my favorite teebirds yet. Stable enough to handle a nice wind when new to slightly broken in and break in very slowly to be dead straight on drives less than 400'. The stiff dx plastic is second to NONE. I actually prefer them to 10x kc pro teebirds and CE TLs.

Nice, sounds like the one I just bought :) Good stuff

Hi, this is my first post, though i've reviewed a couple disc's. I've thrown an Z-XL & TL & still throw a leopard, sidewinder. IMHO "all disc's have some fade". Some more than others. A couple of new disc's i like alot are, Discraft Surge SS, & Avenger SS (both in the FXL plastic). I like a leopard for a good long tunnel shot, because it will go strait with little fade. I recently tried the Surge & Avenger. The Surge goe's really strait, with little fade, & the Avenger goe's even straiter "& longer" with less fade IME! The Avenger has the same profile to me as a Sidewinder, but with a bigger diameter making it easy'r to throw with less power & more glide. [/quote]"Disc happens"

Midnightbiker said:
Well, I have a Pro TL on its way, so we will see what happens.

Here's the deal, from all your reviews/suggestions it is apparent you might not have the arm to make a driver fly the same as it does for players with more arm, The Qjls probably needs someone with at least 325 power throwing it to make it fly not as overstable. You gotta get it up to cruising before it will fly right.

scoot_er said:
Midnightbiker said:
Well, I have a Pro TL on its way, so we will see what happens.

Here's the deal, from all your reviews/suggestions it is apparent you might not have the arm to make a driver fly the same as it does for players with more arm, The Qjls probably needs someone with at least 325 power throwing it to make it fly not as overstable. You gotta get it up to cruising before it will fly right.

Just the M Plpastic then or drop the weight.

150 Teebirds are incredible as well as the 150 Eagle X. Easy to throw and still reliable.

You might look at the Valk too. The Star can be thrown dead straight and fast.

broken in DX teebird would be your best bet. Dont believe anyone if they say a premium plastic disc is straight with no fade. A broken in stable disc will lose its fade, and still go straight, a new premium plastic disc will always fade unless it starts off squirrely, a beat premium plastic disc will get unpredictable and turn or fade where you dont want it to.

Thatdirtykid said:
broken in DX teebird would be your best bet. Dont believe anyone if they say a premium plastic disc is straight with no fade. A broken in stable disc will lose its fade, and still go straight, a new premium plastic disc will always fade unless it starts off squirrely, a beat premium plastic disc will get unpredictable and turn or fade where you dont want it to.

Maybe that is true at altitude. It is not true here. I see lots of discs in premium plastics that will finish straight, even finish right.

Star Teebirds fly the same as the DX I used to throw once the flash is removed and the bottom is worn a bit.
I have Star Rocs that will fly identically to my KC Rocs although the less stable DX counterparts are a little bit longer. Less stable discs are usually longer in general.

Conversely, I have messed around with DX drivers a little and they do not fly further than the premium counterparts.

I am going to say that the only difference between DX and other plastics is that the DX molds worse and all of the edges are more rounded like a very worn premium disc. Premium disc come out of the mold very defined and sharp, and many times too flat. If the premium disc has the same shape and cross-section as the DX it will fly the same (dome shape). The disc does not not know what plastic it is made from.

Bradley Walker said:
Thatdirtykid said:

Maybe that is true at altitude. It is not true here. I see lots of discs in premium plastics that will finish straight, even finish right.

Star Teebirds fly the same as the DX I used to throw once the flash is removed and the bottom is worn a bit.
I have Star Rocs that will fly identically to my KC Rocs although the less stable DX counterparts are a little bit longer. Less stable discs are usually longer in general.

Conversely, I have messed around with DX drivers a little and they do not fly further than the premium counterparts.

I am going to say that the only difference between DX and other plastics is that the DX molds worse and all of the edges are more rounded like a very worn premium disc. Premium disc come out of the mold very defined and sharp, and many times too flat. If the premium disc has the same shape and cross-section as the DX it will fly the same (dome shape). The disc does not not know what plastic it is made from.

I wonder how many people have thrown similar weight different plastics from same molds? Of molds that are fairly reliable at different speeds and not demanding on form. What would such a mold be because TB ain't beginner friendly on form demands. Probably minority of players. At least different molds to say for sure which kinds of molds vary how in which aspect of flight.

More confusion must come from air friction. There are slick and grippy and in between blends of DX. Just like Star comes with different slicknesses and hardnesses.

I took my Z-XL out of moth balls and took it to the practice field for a few throws. That thing will fly dead straight when thrown just right. I am impressed.

Mr. Walker, I humbly suggest you dust off some dx teebirds and compare them to a star teebird. I find dx teebirds longer, glidier, slower, less stable, less fade, less tolerable of OAT, less nose angle sensitive, with much better grip. Of course they dont last as long as star teebirds...then again I have a dx teebird in my bag that is 6 months old.

good choice with the TL, a 175g pro TL was my straightest flying disc until I lost it.

I am surprised so many people say XL, that fades for me. Maybe I need to try again.

Ching Velocity is amazingly straight also. Nobody really throws them though. Pretty nice disc though.

Aaron_D said:
Mr. Walker, I humbly suggest you dust off some dx teebirds and compare them to a star teebird. I find dx teebirds longer, glidier, slower, less stable, less fade, less tolerable of OAT, less nose angle sensitive, with much better grip. Of course they dont last as long as star teebirds...then again I have a dx teebird in my bag that is 6 months old.

I was fishing for a response and got one I liked :)

Granted I haven't done extensive research with Teebirds and only in 175 I have equal weights in different plastics but with Wraiths Pro is definitely longer in 175 than Star or Champ for me. Also Destroyer is longer in pro than Star despite being more overstable although my pro is 3 grams lighter than my Star first run.

Jussi Meresmaa winner of Big D 8 wrote that Pro is longer than premium plastics in wide rimmed drivers and my experiences support that.

For me 175 TB in DX is very much easier to get farther than in Champ once the DX is broken in to be as overstable as Champ. I have not compared shape exactly and haven't tuned them. My 175 Champ TB has the flashing and DX doesn't but when new DX is more overstable than Champ with flashing. DX is more domey. Differences are obvious in flight for same weight different plastic same stability.

I can't recall where on this site I read about plastics and friction. Articles or something Blake wrote a long time ago. I got the idea of base plastic superiority to primo plastic in Blake's opinion is not only due to different stages of wearing and disc minimalism but also better flight shaping abilities. That comes about thanks to fewer RPM being required for a disc to have "grip"/contact with enough air molecules to keep the disc horizontal sideways rotation for less fading and straighter flights or longer sustaining anny. More time horizontal leads to more average lift leading to longer flight times and longer distances.

Air is not insubstantial at speeds at all. It's viscous. Before bees were put to lab tests understanding of flight physics couldn't explain how so small wings could propel so heavy bodies. A documetary I saw had high speed camera footage of a bee tethered in a glass box with smoke to indicate the air currents occurring from the wings flapping. That's how scientists discovered that a wing stroke created currents in the air that the bee used on the next stroke to achieve required lift that was missing from models based on not accounting for the air cushion created by the previous stroke. That air cushion from a perspective of sustaining flight of a bee weight object is very solid indeed and the cushion from the perspective of a bee was likened to swimming for humans.

Discs weigh more and I don't know how fast the wings of a bee move so we may talk of quite different magnitudes. Putting your hand out of a car moving at the speed you throw your disc shows you that air does have a lot of resistance and is quite substantial. I've never tried to coat my hand with Teflon but I imagine that skin out of the car window vs Teflon creates more friction.

I'd be surprised if airflow over and under and to the sides of a disc is laminar for any length of time because flight attitude and speeds change all the time. If they're laminar at all. That'd be cool if manufacturers have achieved laminar flow already. I haven't heard anything pointing to that but haven't researched the matter either. I'm only assuming and would like to know for sure if anyone knows better.

Aaron_D said:

I have a feeling, from synthesizing Brad's posts, that he feels that the shape of the disc makes the flight. Knowing that he starts by trimming the flashing from a disc, this probably makes his Star Teebirds less overstable than your average one. Following that, I'm sure he tunes the crap out of them, possibly making them domier (I've never seen a Star Teebird as domey as the DX) which could potentially lead to flight more similar to DX.

And you are absolutely right, Aaron. DX Teebirds last a pretty long time. I have one in my bag that has been in there for the last 6 months, and was in the bag off and on for two years before that. It looks like hell, but flies like heaven.

wilt said:
good choice with the TL, a 175g pro TL was my straightest flying disc until I lost it.

I am surprised so many people say XL, that fades for me. Maybe I need to try again.

Ching Velocity is amazingly straight also. Nobody really throws them though. Pretty nice disc though.

Maybe its the plastic. My Z-XL is a little beat and it flies straight. My FLX-XL is new and it flies stright, but has heavy fade at the end.

My Pro Valkyrie is very strange. Sometimes it fades and sometimes it flies like it was fired out of a cannon.

I remember at a tournament about a month ago, I was in the second round, and the hole we were one was almost a 225ft tunnel shot about 50 ft wide. Everyone else in the group ended up in the bushes on either side of the fairway. I fired off my Pro Valkyrie and it went out like it was following a laser beam. Every-one's reaction was --> :shock: The only thing is it does not always fly that way. Sometimes it will fade on you. I don't get it.

Aaron_D said:

There is no magic to plastic types. The air does not care what plastic the disc is made from. Two discs of exactly the same shape with fly the same. Period. DX discs very typically come out the mold with a ton of shrinkage around the nose section. So a DX Teebird right out of the box has a lower nose and bead profile than a Star disc.

Bradley Walker said:
Thatdirtykid said:

Capable yes, but as well no. And no its not just the altitude, I have plenty of experience playing out of the mountains.