• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dead Straight Fairway Driver with no Fade

scoot_er said:
garublador said:
I find that discs like the TL, JLS and XL do have some fade to them. If you're good at controlling discs you can compensate for it with a really late, shallow turn, but there are straigher discs out there.

I find that discs like the EL, Leopard and Tracker have little fade, but are kind of squrrley. You'll sacrifice control for less fade.

I find that a beat DX Teebird, beat S Sabre are the straigtest drivers out there that aren't squirrley. They still resist turn alright and kind of lock into flat and stay flat for a very long time.

Tracker isn't straight., at least thed Z and half of the ESP ones I have tried. I use them for controlled hyzers and headwinds.

He's probably refering to the X Tracker, which has 1.6 stability compared to the 1.8 stability of the ESP and Z Trackers. The X Tracker mirrors the X Avenger compared to their ESP and Z counterparts, the Tracker being a tick slower than the Avenger. My X Tracker reminds me of a faster TL or maybe an Eagle-L while the ESP and Zs remind me of an Eagle-X. My 170 X Tracker got a little squirrely after a little use, but I got a max weight one and it seems to be holding up a little better for controlled shots. I'll probably drop it completly once I break in my Zs.

anarak82 said:
yeah, for me a star TL still had a lot of fade, and my avg drive is around 325ft maxing out around 350ft. The CFR TL seemed to have a lot less HSS and LSS.

I'll second that a DX Leopard would probably be the closest thing to no fade. The Z XL has 1.5 stability, and is not hard to snap to straight, but my Z XL that I've used for about a year now still has some fade left on it. The D XL would probably be the closest thing in Discraft's line up to a fairway driver with no fade. Discraft also makes their "long range" driver line, which basically consists of mids with driver like qualities/distance. Basically the stratus, the eclipse, meteor, and Impact.

But what are you really want this fairway driver with no fade to do?

If your looking for a magical disc that does nothing but go straight, it's not out there. Even these discs with low LSS or zero and negative stability on discraft and innova's scales, you still have to finesse these disc straight or you'll end up turning them over too much. I prefer to have discs like the Z XL or a beaten up D or DX fairway driver like the Cyclone, Teebird or Gazelle. They'll start out with stability, but it's no problem to aim slightly to the right, snap them straight and have them fade slightly.

I was waiting for people to start mentioning mids. Storm is the easiest disc I've seen fly straight. Usually when I throw a Storm to 20'+ it fades 3' but on the hardest throws it fades 0-1'. It's a sight to see. Really uncanny. Just shorter than fairway drivers. Don't recall how far I've thrown them but I've overdriven a 300' hole by 10' from a tee that's elevated 4-5'. From stand still it's hard for me to push much beyond 230'. Still straight as a string.

Out of drivers Leopard is the best bet if beating in a Sabre or Teebird is more time you can spend. I've never seen a straight Sabre myself. I don't see those here. My only one is the real hard E of years past that is overstable and has lost a bit of high speed stability and none of LSS.

I have a beat dx teebird and a star TL. I can throw both of them with a little bit of a hyzer and they both fly super straight. I guess what I am saying is if you can't wait to beat one in then get a TL. If you can wait a little then it depends on what plastic you like more. I am torn between the two.

New

TL, ESP XL, and Star JLS.

My favorite of those is the JLS.

BTW, I have Star Teebirds that did not fade even new. Make sure to remove the flash.

scoot_er said:
garublador said:
I find that discs like the TL, JLS and XL do have some fade to them. If you're good at controlling discs you can compensate for it with a really late, shallow turn, but there are straigher discs out there.

I find that discs like the EL, Leopard and Tracker have little fade, but are kind of squrrley. You'll sacrifice control for less fade.

I find that a beat DX Teebird, beat S Sabre are the straigtest drivers out there that aren't squirrley. They still resist turn alright and kind of lock into flat and stay flat for a very long time.

Tracker isn't straight., at least thed Z and half of the ESP ones I have tried. I use them for controlled hyzers and headwinds.
I've only thrown the original Player's Cup Z Tracker and the X Tracker. It doesn't seem to be a very dependable mold given how much variaion I've heard about (only half the ESP?).

A lot more discs are "fade free" if you only throw really low, line drives. Once you start throwing higher it's apparent which discs tend to fade back more.

garublador said:
scoot_er said:
garublador said:

I've only thrown the original Player's Cup Z Tracker and the X Tracker. It doesn't seem to be a very dependable mold given how much variaion I've heard about (only half the ESP?).

A lot more discs are "fade free" if you only throw really low, line drives. Once you start throwing higher it's apparent which discs tend to fade back more.

The production runs of the Z are the most consistent disc in my bag.

yeah if you already have a z XL you would be wasting your money buying the star TL, they are fairly similar.

IMO, Z or ESP XL is the best choice in premium plastic. Ive thrown both extensively and i like the ESP a bit more.

Word on the street is that a broken in DX teebird is the straightest driver from start to finish on the market. I have one, its getting broken in but still has a fair bit of fade so i cant yet back this up. I am starting to wonder just how broken in they need to be to get to this stage.

Its true, I had a star TL for many months. When I lost it I picked up two Bottom-stamped DX teebirds. At first they faded a bit but as my arm got used to them, and they beat in a bit - holy crap. These things are STRAIGHT.

My last round I launched one downhill and everyone was like :shock: ''what disc was that? that was the straightest drive I've ever seen''. And these kids could throw. After throwing them for just a few rounds I really 'get' why everyone seems to love them. I want to pick up a champion version or two but I'm scared because I heard it flies completely different.

adidadg said:
I am starting to wonder just how broken in they need to be to get to this stage.
You do have to make sure they're being thrown nose down. A nose up throw will fade.

You could also be experienceing just how beat up a good, stable mold needs to be before it's considered "beat in." It doesn't happen over the course of a few rounds like many people seem to think.

Jsw said:
I want to pick up a champion version or two but I'm scared because I heard it flies completely different.

It flies like a new DX, just a bit less glide. Some of the opaque 11Xs actually have less fade than a new DX.

cmlasley said:
Jsw said:
I want to pick up a champion version or two but I'm scared because I heard it flies completely different.

It flies like a new DX, just a bit less glide. Some of the opaque 11Xs actually have less fade than a new DX.
All the ones I've thrown have been more high speed stable and faded earlier than the DX ones I've thrown. I have a pretty beat up, 166g "Eleven Time" Teebird that flies similarly to my new, 175g DX Teebird.

Jsw said:
Its true, I had a star TL for many months. When I lost it I picked up two Bottom-stamped DX teebirds. At first they faded a bit but as my arm got used to them, and they beat in a bit - holy crap. These things are STRAIGHT.

My last round I launched one downhill and everyone was like :shock: ''what disc was that? that was the straightest drive I've ever seen''. And these kids could throw. After throwing them for just a few rounds I really 'get' why everyone seems to love them. I want to pick up a champion version or two but I'm scared because I heard it flies completely different.

I really like my Champion, very straight for 80% of the flight with a nice fade at the end, and very tough to turn over without being really overstable.

Currently my 174 DX teebird is MORE stable than my 172 Champion. And the DX has been knocked around a bit. Would you say that they have to be sufficiently beat to get the dead straight flight? I would say mine is getting broken in but not beat all around the disc. To give you more of an idea its about a month old, playing a couple times a week, thrown 4-5 times a round. Maybe i just need to be more patient!

adidadg said:
To give you more of an idea its about a month old, playing a couple times a week, thrown 4-5 times a round. Maybe i just need to be more patient!
That still sounds fairly new to me. It takes me a couple months of throwing them on every drive to get to where they're beat in.

garublador said:
adidadg said:
To give you more of an idea its about a month old, playing a couple times a week, thrown 4-5 times a round. Maybe i just need to be more patient!
That still sounds fairly new to me. It takes me a couple months of throwing them on every drive to get to where they're beat in.

Good to know. I think I'll start throwing it a lot more, i'll even take the champion out for now. Absolutely nobody around here throws DX-TB's which is why im kinda clueless about what to expect.

nice champion teebird those are dead straight but you have to throw above 70% to use it to it's straightness. Old mold beast could work also

cmlasley said:
Jsw said:

I have a gummy champion that is new and it flies like a Star. The old Champs were so flat from plastic strtching on the dome they were pigs.

What you want to see is the disc having the proper dome like a good DX. then they fly the same/ The flat ones are very overstable.

All in all, Innova has done some wonderful molding lately.

The JLS has always seemed like a very strange disc to me. I have a DX and it flies fairly straight, I just want to get more distance out of a fairway driver.

I also have two QJLS's and both of them are overstable. Now, I did acquire another QJLS that was more beat and that think seemed to fly pretty straight. I guess you have to beat in the QJLS to get it to not be so overstable.

Latest posts