• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Deaf Disc Golfers

blang

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I have seen several posts on a couple of Disc Golf sites about deaf disc golfers. It seems that disc golf is very popular with many deaf players.

I am curious to know if the experiences of Deaf disc golfers are much different than the non deaf player.

I once read a post about an issue with the PDGA not adding Closed Captioning to its DVDs.

I can think of a couple disadvantages like getting the information in players meeting and the lack of potential communication with other players. I also assume that the distractions like others talking or coughing while on the tee pad would be less of an issue.

If any deaf player would care to discuss their experiences, I think it could benefit everyone.

For the record, I watch all movies and TV with Closed Captions turned on when I can. There is some subtle information there you can't get by just watching. And I am all for the CC to be put on the disc golf videos, as it only seems right.

I second that. CC is also good practice for all those who are illiterate.

I just recently played on the same card in a PDGA tournament with a deaf player. There were a few things that I observed about the situation.

The TD went out of his way to help him as much as possible. When he had the card, one of us would help him call out the names to get our scores. We used our fingers to dictate our scores to him. When we had the card, we usually tapped him on the shoulder to ask him for his score. There was one time we had some difficulty trying to explain a casual water as not being OB. It was a tight course, so we had to watch out for him, when someone yelled fore. Everyone on the card realized he needed a little help with communication, and we all helped where we could, no one seemed to mind.

It was a great experience, he was a nice guy and was just like you and me. He would get happy when he made a great shot and mad when he had a bad shot. When he made a bad shot, he would let out a loud grunt in frustration, not realizing how loud it was.

Hope this helps.

While we are on this discussion, has anyone else noticed some movies at the theater with the captions turned on? I saw King Kong when it camed out with the captions on. It was a great thing. I even heard some people mention that it did not bother them like they thought it would. That was funny, becasue the family behind who only had 2 kids out of 5 people not deaf, were not that impressed with that comment. :eek::D

What?!? I've never heard of that. I agree it could be cool though -- as I get older I often find myself asking my wife "what did he just say?"

What?!? I've never heard of that. I agree it could be cool though -- as I get older I often find myself asking my wife "what did he just say?"

What I find so cool, is you will hear a muffled voice in a scene that is of someone off screen. The Captions will tell you who is making that noise. OR you will hear a thump in a scary movie and the captions will say wooden leg hitting floor above. That is such cool info. So many times I will miss a sound or if the dialog is real faint...it is cool to know what is being whispered.

Plus if there is music starting up, it sometimes even tells you the group and song title, or at least, posts up the lyrics.

Ok, climbing down off this soap box...I think it is getting shorter, or I am just wearing it down some.

Yeah, obviously I have used CC with DVDs but I have never been to a theater where it was "turned on". Makes you wonder if someone seeing the movie was deaf/hard of hearing and requested the service.

Yeah, obviously I have used CC with DVDs but I have never been to a theater where it was "turned on". Makes you wonder if someone seeing the movie was deaf/hard of hearing and requested the service.

All I know is that they advertised it that way for 2 weeks for that time and that day. SO we planned to go then. It was almost sold out too.

Its very cool that someone is asking about it...I am glad that it has happen.

Well…

First of all, I CANNOT speak for every deaf disc golfers out there. I will only speak from my own experiences. Others can jump in and speak their own.

Communications - it's always been a constant barrier for me to deal with at players meeting and meeting new players. But myself, growing up trained to lip-read pretty well with the aid of using hearing aids, I was able to have some efforts to get some information from one person before or after the players' meeting. It sucks sometimes. I do prefer sign languages as my mode of communication.

I do rather to have the hearing players to be quiet and stand still when I'm on the tee pad. I CAN hear noises (not words, just sounds of people's voices/laughers/etc.) and can SEE any distractions coming from the players unless I turn off my hearing aids but I rather not to do that everytime I'm at the tee pads. I do wear hearing aids to help me to hear how loud the discs are hitting at either the baskets or trees. You will know that your discs are screwed when you hear a very loud "WHACK!!" into the tree when you made bad driving shots as compared to a low quiet "THUD" or "CHING" sounds. You know? Still, I have to pay FULL attention to where my discs are going anyway. Also, it helps me to know someone yelling "HEY!" when they find my discs or to get my attention from behind.

When I am meeting new players at the tournaments, they are usually very understanding and friendly with me. I had to let the group know that I am deaf and they need to face me to allow me to lip-read them (TIPS, don't speak too fasssst or too slowwww, we are not that dumb or retarded) or sometimes I pull out the notepad and pencil for them to write down. Most of the times, we were able to get by without needing any knowledge of sign languages or using paper/pencil methods at all. Most of hearing players that I have met seem to have very good common senses on gesturing and body/facial expressions that are either funny or good. One guy in my local club does not know any signings but gives great gesturing acts that anyone in the world can understand him.

I am not being crybaby about lack of interpreters for the deaf players at both local clubs and small tournaments games. It is to be expected anyway but it would be nice to have one if it's at national or world tournaments. I mostly prefer that the hearing players to be more aware and be courteous to let the deaf players know what is going on. I noticed that we, deaf people, are the last to know what's going on anywhere.

Deaf players do have their own Deaf Disc Golf tournaments around the US and do host annual Deaf Nationals but the numbers of players' outcomes are small but we don't care about that because it was great fun for us to gather and to interact as well. One hearing volunteer at 2006 Deaf National at Paw Paw courses stated that these deaf events are so much nicer and peaceful than the hearing events, which are loud and crowded with some rude players.

There was a huge explosive of interest in disc golfing in the deaf communities in the mid 1990's (I was one of them) and it has started to grow a lot and formed its own local deaf disc golf organizations across US and we hope that it will continue to grow some more with additional helps from the hearing disc golf communities. We do have our own deaf "PDGA" which is DDGA (Deaf Disc Golf Association), www.ddga.org which is currently in process of updating new website design.

As for lack of closed captioning/subtitles, I have already emailed to PDGA, Discraft, Innova, and Marshall Street about their DVD/YouTube videos not being captioned or subtitled and they all simply replied with bunch of apologies and giving no promises to look into it. I really liked to learn a lot from all those videos that I have saw but I don't FREAKING understand what Mark Ellis are saying about that awesome forehand driving shots or what Ken Climo are saying about making putting shots or what PDGA/MSt's tournament announcements are saying…. *sigh* I was lucky enough to attend Scott Stokely's clinic at Chili Disc Golf (Baker Farm, Rochester, NY) couple years ago and had a hearing friend to take notes for me while I was watching Scott making amazing long driving shots by just standing there with no running or x-steps at all!

The overall of my experiences as deaf disc golfer for more than 12 years, I am glad that I have joined the right sport which is easy for me to get along with very cool, open-minded, and friendly players who have the same interests in flying discs, environments, chilling, and promoting disc golf rather than ball golf which I think is very silly to pay high tee cost and to use a long $400 metal stick to hit a tiny white ball out to a huge overkill tree-razed fairway courses and carry giant golf bag and driving the golf cart around which I think is the most fun part of golfing.

I can go on and on and on about my experiences but I think my statement is enough for now…:D

My son is mostly blind. He has no vision at all in his left eye, and is only 20/400 in his right eye with his glasses on.
We play the local courses where he is very familiar, but sometimes if he is in a postion that is new to him or he gets disoriented, I will have to go ahead and ring the chains for him.
Most every new course we play, we will walk nearly to the basket for him to get a feel of any obstacles or elevation change.
He throws only about 5 different discs. His max distance is about 375, which is really alot further than he can see. He can tell by the way the disc leaves his hand about where it is. He can normally walk to within a 20 foot radius of where the disc lands then I guide him w/ directions of where it is. For instance I may call out 11:15. That means the disc is at 11 o'clock 15 feet away.
We have played for about 2 years now and he has progressed very well.
Most people we play with do not know of his limitations unless we tell them as we play play mainly on our local courses.

It's always good to hear a positive first-person account like that. It's great that you and your son can enjoy that time together. And 375 feet! - I wish I could hit that distance most days. That's awesome.

There is a course designed for the blind and other persons with limiting conditions in South Mississippi. It has concrete circles around the baskets, I think, and wheelchair paths on certain parts of the course. I think there are also bells on the baskets to be rang for those limited by sight. It is close to Hattiesburg, MS. Here is the PDGA link.

http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=3052

Call the contact Shane Seal, I think he was very instrumental in the development and building of this course. I have never had the opportunity to play with a deaf person but would be more than happy to assist anyone regardless of their needs. I encourage the dialysis patients I work with to get out and play disc golf and since I am the president of the course I will even allow them to drive their golf carts/4 wheelers on the course if need be. Haven't had anyone take me up on that yet. I do play with several patients on a regular basis now. It is great for all kinds of people.

I had heard of that course but have not gotten down there to play it yet. Maybe I will get down there to play Paul B on the same day. Dg is a great game for everyone.

I think that course sounds great. I like that it gives them a chance to get out and enjoy the simple pleasures in life.

Hello,

I myself am a deaf discgolfer.. i have been playing since 97, first learned at chili course in rochester, ny...

i could easily say there are about 2000 of us out there playing.. some are very good and well known out there...

my experince with most of the people have been awesome.. the pdga has been very good to deaf discgolfers.. especially Brian Graham..

the next deaf national tournament will be hosted in springfield, ill.. june 2009.. more information can be found at www.ilo9.org

any deaf person can play in this tournament, we have all levels of play for all ages!

Hey DiscinFrog,

Glad you "ching" in to give your experience. LOL But not too glad that you had to leave Rochester, NY couple years ago...:(

I will for sure to attend IL09!! and VT10 as well!!

:D

Hi, I am Deaf myself I am member of PDGA 21100, Yes it would be great and nice if there's any Disc Golf DVD such as 2008 World championship or any another DVD related with Disc Golf to have subtle to add on as turn on or off than there's no choice. "Nothing" I did not buy any DVD because I cannot understand anything what they are saying or explain. Some of my another Deaf friends won't join PDGA because of DVD not provide the CC in it. So why do I join is because of another reason getting Disc Golf magazine. And a lifetime membership number. I notice many program with video media such as youtube, and anothers able add subtle on it. So why not PDGA's DVD add this to it? If it cost more money to do that, I am kind of disagree on that.
PDGA #21100, DDGA #3