• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Deet alternatives

Skunk

Eagle Member
So, I was getting eaten alive the other day while I was working and nobody had any bug spray. Then this guy says to use some Listerine. Me and this other guy were like WTF? All he had was some Scope in the van and we tried it. We couldn't believe it that it worked! I thought it was a fluke and tried it agian last night and it worked again! I have a little Listerine and put it in a srpay bottle and will test it out again for the third time.

If it works for me I will be hitting the $1 store for sure!!

If anyone has any other alternatives that are cheap and effective, let me know.

A older friend of mine had some mouthwash diluted with water in a mini spray bottle.i used it one time and it worked good. It even worked for me when I got some bull nettle/fire weed on my leg. It slowly went away. And if youve felt that ,that **** burns like a mother ****er.

Not to sure on other remedies but i use deet alot .chigger bites suck

they make natural alternatives to DEET which work very well and can be made with essential oils. Personally I have a **** ton of citronella plants around my house which I rub all over me before going out to play.

http://www.aromaweb.com/recipes/insectrepellent.asp

here's one i just googled, i get mine from a groovy chick in chapel hill. I'm allergic to most kinds of sprays due to the industrial fragrances added to products so I look in to alternatives a lot.

they make natural alternatives to DEET which work very well and can be made with essential oils. Personally I have a **** ton of citronella plants around my house which I rub all over me before going out to play.

http://www.aromaweb.com/recipes/insectrepellent.asp

here's one i just googled, i get mine from a groovy chick in chapel hill. I'm allergic to most kinds of sprays due to the industrial fragrances added to products so I look in to alternatives a lot.

This sounds effective but seems like a lot of work though. I guess if you have allergies then it's the way to go.

I've never used them but they have those things you could clip on your bag that keep the bugs away. Or so they say.

Through meditation you could learn to exert energy in such a way that bugs will not bother you.

I've never used them but they have those things you could clip on your bag that keep the bugs away. Or so they say.

i had one of those things.... it really didnt seem to do much for me.. was still getting bit so i gave up on it.. might work for some but ill just stick to the spray :thmbup:

I've used Listerine. It works well for mosquitoes and those little dog-pecker gnats that seem to be out of hand this year.
I've also had good luck with something my wife picked up in the organic store. I don't know the name of it and it is not with me, but it is in a little blue bottle. It also smells very nice, like citronella/lemon.
Also, the softer deet sprays/lotions are nice. The Off with aloe is good.

I've heard that vanilla extract is very good for mosquitoes, gnats, etc. But I wonder if the sweetness would attract bees?

Absorbine Junior. Works great for all kinds of bugs.

QFT ....... Absorbine Jr. is where its at. Easy to use, conveniently applied and carried in the bag (think bingo dauber), and gives you a nice relaxing tingle (seeing how its a pain/muscle reliever) ...... Must be an Iowa Thing ..... Thank You Mr. McCarley!!!!!

It seems that the common thread among these remedies is alcohol. It's the main ingredient in Listerine and vanilla extract as well as a major component of the natural remedy. So would someone in a bug-prone area care to dab themselves with Absolut Citron and report back? Pour a shot on your legs and another down your throat and let us know how it works. :)

For those using mouthwash does it have the be the kind with Alcohol? I have sensitive skin :(.

Eat lots and lots of garlic 2-4 hours before your round. It works, and a side benefit is it tastes amazing. I usually go out to this middle eastern restaurant for lunch on Tuesdays the same day I play league. They have this garlic sauce that is out of this world. I eat about two bowls and avoid contact with co-workers the rest of the day. Than, I stink it up at leagues and drive the skeeters away on my way to victory.

I'm going to have to try that Listerine trick. We got this natural type stuff called 'Buggins' or something like that, that's supposed to be awesome but we're always out..So must be good. Also, Mr Wilson, you gonna play the Mother of the Valley?

There are several eco-friendly new products on the market. I just got some stuff from Repel. Made from Eucalyptus & Lemon.

q8COZ-Vhl_n7T9Iifkx1H1rcuHtg2XDnnJq34C-veiatYzXqv9RAPwzCkNcffBlIlYyM05s18mRFJmIVZHtKrCO19F1sc-uPzsf76xmRKdDEAPW4zDisz85bu8FV6SIFGkZS0q5ZlKx4mJ9MBkuGoMVkNraDBxRgST1MsS2xdIm9IXhCew

A bit pungent but not offensive when first applied. But the strong odor quickly fades. No problems with the skeeters.

There are several eco-friendly new products on the market. I just got some stuff from Repel. Made from Eucalyptus & Lemon.

q8COZ-Vhl_n7T9Iifkx1H1rcuHtg2XDnnJq34C-veiatYzXqv9RAPwzCkNcffBlIlYyM05s18mRFJmIVZHtKrCO19F1sc-uPzsf76xmRKdDEAPW4zDisz85bu8FV6SIFGkZS0q5ZlKx4mJ9MBkuGoMVkNraDBxRgST1MsS2xdIm9IXhCew

A bit pungent but not offensive when first applied. But the strong odor quickly fades. No problems with the skeeters.

That's what I have been using as well. Seems to work fine around here, but we were up in Michigan a couple weekends ago and it did nothing against the steroid skeeters they have up there. We had to go with the Deep Woods Off which I hate to do, but I also hate getting carried away by mosquitoes.

I'm going to have to try that Listerine trick. We got this natural type stuff called 'Buggins' or something like that, that's supposed to be awesome but we're always out..So must be good. Also, Mr Wilson, you gonna play the Mother of the Valley?

I will not be playing this weekend. It is my first wedding anniversary on Sunday. I tried arguing that the tourney is on Saturday and anniversary is Sunday, but that argument didn't work.

Then I tried the "your parents live in Terre Haute and it's Father's Day" argument. She just got madder at me.

So we are going camping this weekend, but I am going to try and sneak a round in sometime! :thmbup:

Skin So Soft from Avon works well too. My Aunt is a distributor and we always get boxes of Avon crap at x-mas. It smells good but keeps bugs away and I don't believe it has alcohol in it (I could be wrong, I don't have it in front of me).

Latest posts