• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

deformed discs

elkevo

Par Member
I typically leave my extra discs in a box in my car. Well, I went to grab a disc out of it to throw and found it had a twist going on. I went through other discs and found they had various deformations (warps and twists). I pulled them all out and now have them laying flat on my driveway in hopes that the heat will help the plastic relax and flatten back out. How do y'all correct deformations and how do you store your discs to keep this from happening?

Yea ya gotta heat em up first, maybe even in boiling water, them lay em flat with something heavy on top. Always store them standing up on edge so they don't pile up. Good luck.

Generally store my extras in the house to keep the temperature more consistent. I think the extremes of hot summers and cold winters made me a bit nervous about leaving them in the car for long periods of time. Haven't noticed any issues with warping so I think it is working. Combination of Jimmy Johns and Trotter boxes for me, loosely packed with cardboard dividers.

Boiling water and lay flat. Some softer plastic will puddle top so be careful. I wouldn't do water with XT, they seem to puddle an extreme amount.

If they've been bent for too long, it might take some boiling water/extreme heat to get them back. Don't just throw something heavy on top or you'll end up with a puddle. Set weight just along the edges.

I only keep my throwers (about 3 of each mold I bag) and discs I'm testing out in the car. Always covered, on edge, straight up and down. They're all in a row on the bench seat in the back, and floor all the way from left to right, so they don't flop back and forth. And I don't park in the sun in the summer.

If it helps, I've found that while warped discs offend my OCD, they typically fly the same.
Ditto. I have this ancient X-Clone that's comically warped and asymmetrically puddled, but it's one of the sweetest-flying discs I have. I don't bag it just because it's so ugly, but whenever I actually think about it (like right now) this non-bagging on account of ugliness seems really stupid.

I was gonna suggest you might wanna do a bit of field testing to see how they actually fly before you try anything to "fix" them. It's conceivable some of them may perform better for you in some ways.

Probably not, butchyuneverknow...

...and you'll likely never, ever be able to reproduce it once you "fix" it.

If any of them fly sweetly for you, the results should more than compensate for the offense to your aesthetic values.

Last edited:
A friend recently found an 11x KC Pro Gazelle, probably 1 or 0.5 out of 10. Super stained and warped and chunked, but flies great.

I agree about the OCD comment. I personally try to avoid bending/flexing my discs, even though I know it won't mess up the disc and that most people do it a lot. Nevertheless, many of my throwers are warped, and I agree that the flight of a warped disc is probably equal to that of flawless ones.

Before I decided to throw only stock plastic, I had a bevvy of Ontario Pro Rhynos. They were ALL warped to some degree, and flew magically. Getting rid of them was my worst DG decision ever :(

Before I decided to throw only stock plastic, I had a bevvy of Ontario Pro Rhynos. They were ALL warped to some degree, and flew magically. Getting rid of them was my worst DG decision ever :(

My R-Pro Rhyno is so warped that i can put it on a 60+° hyzer and watch it flip up and still turn. It is also my Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free disc.

I ended up putting them in hot water, not quite boiling, for a few seconds and laying them on the driveway. I also set a small piece of 3/4 inch plywood on top. This straightened the disc great, but also took away any dome the disc may have originally had. I didn't notice any puddle tops, but I now have a flat top DX Dart.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I had a disc that was slightly warped with a puddled top. I put it upside down in a large bowl, where the edge of the disc touched the slanted edge of the large bowl, and poured hot water into the disc. Seemed to work great to straighten out the disc, and pop the top back into place.

Latest posts