• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I got my innova factory store order in today (some S-PD's and star destroyers) and I got some patent numbered, pearly stiff old school star, pop topped goodness ones! Hell even my S-PD disc was patent #'s.

they have that loud audible "heartbeat" sound that Dave Feldberg says when you press down on them. it really is the stiff old school pearly star blend.

16725143237_8b60be2f7c_b.jpg

what I forgot, and love about the factory store is that you can put in specific requests in the order notes and almost all to the time you will get what you asked for. I specifically asked for DOMEY 168g paired color stiff destoyers and got something even better than I expected.

They are white though which means I have to shelve them until the snow really goes away, but I decided I'm going to try dyeing them... these will be throwers anyway and its a perfect canvas since they are white.

Well I talked the guys at the factory store into selling me some of these. I have 7 now that look just like the ones in these pics. All are pearly in the 165-169 range with patent numbers and marked SDS. Domes vary a little, but even the least domey has that nice "heart beat" pop. Couldn't be happier with the factory store guys right now. :D I gotta get out into the field with at least one or two of these to see how nicely they fly.

I have noticed that some of these look like they might be early flirtations with what became starlite plastic. There seem to be tiny micro bubbles/indentations in the rims (not the flight plate). I think I saw someone on DDGA selling one a lot like this (F2) claiming it was an early experiment with starlite plastic. Does anyone here know anything about this?

Really? And they told me the very next day they were all sold out?

Yeah I don't know about that. Maybe they got a bunch of orders (after those pics got posted here) and weren't sure how much old stock they actually had to sell, so they were erring on the side of caution? I put a note on my order when I made it, but then I also called them and talked to a guy there about what I wanted. He was super nice; he said he wasn't sure how much old stock they had left because of all the requests, and he definitely didn't want to promise me too much. I was expecting to get maybe 1 or 2 of these and the rest newer stock honestly, but then I got exactly what I wanted. He also said they had some older SDS-marked Destroyers that were pretty flippy, but from the look of these I don't think that's what I got.

Well I wish I got the same answer as you did instead of being flat out told there were none left. If they don't want my business I don't want to give it to them.

Fun Fact:

The most OS Destroyer in my bag is the oldest/most used I own. The flippiest Destroyer I have in my bag is my newest. Looks like it just came off the shelves.

That goes to say there's a Destroyer for everyone with a decent arm if you care to hunt them down.

They vary. Alot.

I have noticed that some of these look like they might be early flirtations with what became starlite plastic. There seem to be tiny micro bubbles/indentations in the rims (not the flight plate). I think I saw someone on DDGA selling one a lot like this (F2) claiming it was an early experiment with starlite plastic. Does anyone here know anything about this?

There are plenty of DS out there with imperfections in the wing. It does look like Starlite a bit but I still see this in max weight DS. Pretty sure someone was just trying to snag a few more dollars for a random F2.

There are plenty of DS out there with imperfections in the wing. It does look like Starlite a bit but I still see this in max weight DS. Pretty sure someone was just trying to snag a few more dollars for a random F2.

Cool. I really don't care either way. It was just an interesting claim that I had never heard before, and I wanted to see if anyone could verify it or not. You're probably right. Probably the seller just noticed some imperfections and wanted to make the disc seem a little more unique.

i have a lightweight (167) S/DS that does look suspiciously like an early flirtation with starlite. i've always wondered if that was the case myself and i swear i read on the old "ask Dave Dunipace" thread (RIP) that it was the case. despite being my lightest weight Destroyer it is easily the most overstable.

on another note. thumbing through stacks of Destroyers at GGGT this weekend i managed to pickout some newer AJ stamped S/DS marked discs that felt waxy as hell. no patent numbers. so it looks like somebody at the factory is still using that on new stock.

they also had some AMAZING bottom stamped Destroyers in lighter weights (day glo green and orange) that look exactly like my old S/DS. very nice looking discs.

I just added destroyers to the bag for this season :thmbup:

I used PD's as my fastest disc for the past two seasons and it helped my game tremendously! After a little nudging from a buddy I tried out a few D's ( that I picked up to flip with funny money) and I was getting good max D drives with them.

I bagged:

2x 169 2013 tfr star destroyers (straight to fade in no/tailwind, Flippy in head wind.)

1x 169 SDS Beeftastic, flys/looks like my pop top SPD2's

all have a pop top/heart beat pop to them.

I'm really only using them in big headwind scenarios.

I still favor the PD as a workhorse driver but for max D destroyers seem to BOMB. I'm getting them to 415 where my PD's seem to all roll around 370/380.

It took me a long time to get my arm speed up to appreciate the flight.

I have a couple flatter destroyers, what's the general consensus on their flight?

I get that PLH/run/ETC. all factor in but what's the rule of thumb?

I.E PoPtops are more over stable vs. Flat?

I just added destroyers to the bag for this season :thmbup:

I used PD's as my fastest disc for the past two seasons and it helped my game tremendously! After a little nudging from a buddy I tried out a few D's ( that I picked up to flip with funny money) and I was getting good max D drives with them.

It took me a long time to get my arm speed up to appreciate the flight.

I have a couple flatter destroyers, what's the general consensus on their flight?

I get that PLH/run/ETC. all factor in but what's the rule of thumb?

I.E PoPtops are more over stable vs. Flat?

Your experience is much like mine. PDs for distance really helped get the arm speed up and keep form consistent.

The domey Destroyers definitely seem more stable on average, but try them all. I'm currently carrying a new AJ pop top (very overstable), F2 S/DS patent # (perfect straight to fade DS), beat in pop top older AJ (max D/tailwind/turnovers), and a flatter F2 for sidearm throws.

I also bag destroyers (wiggins, Christmas, 2 line, and pre numbers) for shots over my PDs.

Typically the flatter are less stable for sure. Dome is a good bet when your looking for an OS Destroyer. Not a guarantee though by any means.

Just look at the plh. there are mega over stable flat destroyers out there that put any domey destroyer to shame. I even had one with patent numbers on it so it's not just a new thing. There's really no way to tell anymore, but most people agree a destroyer with dome has more of a chance at being what you are looking for in a destroyer.

Latest posts