• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

I see a "new" course has been added in McKinney. Another course named after B.B. Owen. Pizza God says it's too overgrown to play and the pictures taken back it up. It looks like it might be playable in late winter. This is the first I've heard of it.

Does anyone know the history of this course? http://dgcour.se/10934

this is part of a new planned development. Heading out there soon with a measuring wheel, will try to put a map together. DG course in lower right corner.

Site-map-01.jpg

Just in the top 10? Granted since the Grapevine course was pulled, it's good to have another course in the area, but I was hoping it would be an elite professional course providing something we didn't have in the area. (Pause to read the reviews here..) Too bad it's a short course, the longest holes are only about 420. Sounds like a good course to challenge the local scene, but it's not going to attract the big tournaments to the area. With Turner Park going away, I was hoping this course would fill that void.

it definitely is a short course but it is also moderately to heavily wooded. i don't have more than 350 at best so it's an appropriate challenge for me. but yeah, not going to attract a national attendance or audience.

the two 423' holes, which are back to back, are the most open on the course. the first has a gap to hit about 120-150' out... but the birdie play is really a huge hyzer or flex over that and across the field to the pin. the second is totally open but does have a culvert and sloping ground in the center of the fairway to avoid. neither are particularly interesting holes.

1 & 17 are long, straight, fairly tight tunnels. at 351' and 384' each, they're more like white/blue tweeners but definitely not gold level. 11-13 and to a lesser degree 2-3 are the really tight, shorter holes that are more like blue-gold level birdies. the rest of the holes are easy birdies for blue and gold level but there is a lot of sloping ground where you could have some bad luck. the par 4s are really soft.

i haven't made my second visit yet but i'm fairly sure i'll be revising my rating down a 1/2 by the time i do. it's not a better course than Trophy Club or Towne Lake, just looking at the north side. it's not better than Z-Boaz, Turner, or Harry Myers. personally i think Vets is overrated so i won't make a comparison there. it is in the 3 most wooded courses in DFW probably. it does offer a character that is not so common around here, closest to Towne Lake or Coyote i guess?

Last edited:
It's been quiet in this thread. Any news about new courses in the area to open in 2020? Also, any indication how much longer we'll have Turner Park in GP around?

I finally played the 'new' BB Owen in McKinney. I enjoyed it for the most part, since I learned the game in the Carolinas and appreciate woods golf. We didn't find all the holes, and the ones around the lake kind of felt like they were included just there to have water holes instead of having true challenges to them. It would have been a nice change of pace to have a purely wooded course in DFW. The rough wasn't that rough at all - not like you couldn't advance if you ended up in there. I threw with a noob and he had a good time even though he did a lot of Army golf.
It is a bit of a drive, even from my location in Frisco. Don't try to take the Melissa highway exit, there is a bridge that hasn't been finished just before you get to the development.

No new news though...

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately the ams I play with at weekly minis would not agree with that.

On a different note:

Local player Emerson Keith has become the 3rd highest rated player in Texas! Only 8 points behind Bradley Williams.

https://www.pdga.com/player/47472
https://www.facebook.com/emerson.keith

I've noticed this trend of inflating AM prices and it bothers me a little. My wife plays Women's Int, but to her it's hard to justify dropping $45-50 to play with a field of maybe 2 or 3 women (or even 0 on a bad day).

On the men's side of things, I wish we could stick closer to the recommended $25 as well. I got a $90 merch payout last year at one tournament and it's fun to blow that credit on some new discs, but I would have been totally content with a smaller entry fee and $50 of credit.

Just dropped $210 (A Tier) for entry in to the Nick Hyde for my son (junior) and myself (Int). I honestly don't mind it though, the payouts Matt Siri (TD) put together are always great, and the player pack is always great as well (I mostly sell everything from it and get my entry fee back).

For B and C tiers though I agree, really wish they'd lower the entry fees.

Me too eegor .......me too.:\

As DFWFan attests to below, most of those events garnering the "complaints" seem to be filling, so I'd hardly say that TDs see a problem there.

Thank you for the comment. Most tournaments seem to be filling, and until they don't, I'm sure the prices will keep going up. I'm registered in 6 tournaments already, and the one thing I 100% agree on is either smaller entry fees or someway to not pay extra for a player's pack I have no need for. That's one thing I will be addressing publicly at some point because just about everyone I've talked to says they would be interested in lower entry fees at the expense of not having a player's pack.

I'm in. No players pack, lower entry fees, and maybe even more funny money in the end. I'd rather money go towards funny money payouts rather than a players pack full of discs I don't want/can't resell.

The solution, then, or option is to try it. Become a TD and host your event with the parameters you think are good for you guys (or maybe even better in your mind). Lots of those things are easy to say but much more difficult when put into practice. I was around here in DFW when Am events cost less. I understand why the prices went up.

I've encouraged others to go ahead and host an event for Ams with minimal entry fee and minimal or no player pack. I have yet to find someone who thinks that is a better model for DFW to go ahead and try it. It may be working in some areas of the country, but I'd be surprised if a TD could sustain that model here.

My buddy and I are thinking of making the trip to Texas for a disc golf weekend over the summer. We were thinking of hitting Selah and Texas Trey. Are there any other must hit courses along the way. We were planning to fly to Dallas and drive from there.

I would say Harry Myers but it's no longer a "gotta play" course in the area since the redesign. Still has some fun holes but not nearly the challenge it used to be.

Has anyone played with Brodie yet? He seems to be out working on his game quite a bit, mostly in the North Dallas area.

that's the course at Windsong Ranch. the housing community is on the north side of 380 at 423. if you're going north on 423 (like you're coming from McCord), it turns into Gee Rd. when you cross 380. Gee runs into Fishtrap Rd. and the course is right there, in the park north of Fishtrap.

the course is pretty cool. it has some fun shots utilizing the creek and some interesting woods but some of the back 9 is affected by construction.

it's been awhile since i was there but at the time there was no parking lot at the park. some people parked along Fishtrap road, the first tee is just east of where Gee runs into Fishtrap... maybe 100 yards north of Fishtrap. on google maps it looks like the lay of the road may have changed since then.

that's the course at Windsong Ranch. the housing community is on the north side of 380 at 423. if you're going north on 423 (like you're coming from McCord), it turns into Gee Rd. when you cross 380. Gee runs into Fishtrap Rd. and the course is right there, in the park north of Fishtrap.

the course is pretty cool. it has some fun shots utilizing the creek and some interesting woods but some of the back 9 is affected by construction.

Appreciate it amigo, I'm only a few miles down 423. :thmbup::clap::hfive:

It'd had been a while since I played Lake Lewisville, was soon after the redesign. The woods holes look so much better and less muddy, despite a recent rain.

Had also forgotten what a picturesque course it can be:
picture.php

Coming out of a 15 year hiatus from playing. I'm in Fort Worth. Any suggestions what course I should start at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to start slow, Lake Weatherford is flat with some low ceiling tree canopy.

ZBoaz and Saddle Hill are both challenging terrain and require lots of different shots to play well.

That's all I've played so far. Heading to Gateway soon. There are tons of courses all around DFW and I'm hoping I'll see a lot of them in 2021.

If you want to start slow, Lake Weatherford is flat with some low ceiling tree canopy.

ZBoaz and Saddle Hill are both challenging terrain and require lots of different shots to play well. That's all I've played so far. Heading to Gateway soon. There are tons of courses all around DFW and I'm hoping I'll see a lot of them in 2021.

You've only played Weatherford, Zboaz, Saddle Hills? wow..you're missing out on some of the best courses imop. If you like birdie or die courses, you'll enjoy Gateway. There are a few technical holes, but otherwise get those birds. Surprisingly even par 54 is rated anywhere from 920-950 due to half the course can land you in thick brush where you will get an additional stroke or 2.

Seriously...make time asap to play the following courses. Comment here and tag me if you play and comment on any of these. I'm curious about your take on these courses.

Veterans Park VPO Open (Arlington), Fritz DGC (Irving), North Park (Haltom City), Beaver/Coyote (Cedar Hills), Old Man (Lewisville), Granbury DGC (Granbury).

Granbury is perhaps not that technical as it's a wide open course, but the land is taken care of so well, it's like playing on a converted ball golf course.

You've only played Weatherford, Zboaz, Saddle Hills? wow..you're missing out on some of the best courses imop. If you like birdie or die courses, you'll enjoy Gateway. There are a few technical holes, but otherwise get those birds. Surprisingly even par 54 is rated anywhere from 920-950 due to half the course can land you in thick brush where you will get an additional stroke or 2.

Seriously...make time asap to play the following courses. Comment here and tag me if you play and comment on any of these. I'm curious about your take on these courses.

Veterans Park VPO Open (Arlington), Fritz DGC (Irving), North Park (Haltom City), Beaver/Coyote (Cedar Hills), Old Man (Lewisville), Granbury DGC (Granbury).

Granbury is perhaps not that technical as it's a wide open course, but the land is taken care of so well, it's like playing on a converted ball golf course.

Thanks! Remember I'm a COVID refugee, so I'm only 9 months in. I mostly play courses on the weekend and Sat. morning is my regular tee time with the group that got me started. The play ZB Mon/Thu/Sat so if I can get out during the week, that's where I go. One of the guys is going out on Sunday morning with me now, so a lot more likely to try different options.

Something I was surprised to see today was several guys playing Saddle Hill with carts. I can't fathom dragging a cart up and down those hills.

Coming out of a 15 year hiatus from playing. I'm in Fort Worth. Any suggestions what course I should start at?

most of the courses in Fort Worth are not exactly beginner friendly. North Park in Haltom City is probably the most forgiving in terms of lost discs. are you comfortable throwing around water? do you feel like you can control a disc pretty well?

zboaz and saddle hills both have creeks and challenging terrain
gateway is tight and technical with some dense rough
TCC NW has a bunch of holes that play along a reservoir and wind is always a factor
greenbriar is the most open and may be the best choice but does have a (usually) shallow creek and two holes that play along a pond

if you're not too worried about possibly losing discs or smacking more than a few trees, i think zboaz and saddle hills are the most enjoyable courses in town.

Latest posts