• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG as Collecting

Gizmotronx

I'm new here, and 2 years in on DG. I started with the Innova DX starter pack, and ever since I have been window shopping like a mad man. I have bought 12 discs total now (2 for my brother) and every time I get home after playing, I struggle to keep myself from buying a new disc. I have played full rounds with all of my discs individually, and feel like I know them pretty well now.

Does anyone else feel like DG is 2 parts playing, and 1 part collecting?

Tim

Does anyone else feel like DG is 2 parts playing, and 1 part collecting?

Yep.

And your mind may be blown by the vast collections of some of the folks on here. In fact, I've been playing less than three years myself and have pared down mine to roughly 100 discs (I've had over 500 discs go through my hands already, from player's packs to tourney winnings, to trades, and discs I've sold, lost, or given away). And I'm a piker by comparison.

You've shown amazing restraint with only 12 disc in 2 years. I've got maybe 100 but I don't buy disc for collecting - I'm looking for that one magical disc that makes me throw like a pro. Some day I'll find it!!! :eek: :eek:

Only 12 in 2 years? I've got 11 or 12 in my bag in 2 weeks and have had 5 others that were lost or traded. And will probably buy more after the 4th.

Disc collecting is definately a big part of the sport. Collect what you like. I collect early Discraft, and pre golf disc Wham-o's. I also like collecting Buzzz's, Stalkers with tournament stamps, and red putters.

Only 12? Really?

I have been playing for about four years. I started out with a starter set, then I started buying/trying new discs - all Innova dx. (about 50 or so in various molds/weights). Once I figured out that I could throw premium plastic, it was on. I now have about 400 premium discs, many of which I have never thrown. That doesn't stop me from buying more, however. My username is plasticaddicted elsewhere. If you get that plastic monkey on your back, pray for relief.

I will be playing for about a year in a few weeks here. An I keep 4 eagles 2 XS 1 meteor 2 darts an a magic putter an a wizard. 11 in my bag an 5 in the closet for a total of 16 disc in bout a year I had more but traded some sold some

It's bad when you have 12 of one disc. If you get hooked like the rest of us you will find one mold that must have in every plastic type and weight and color etc.! Pretty weird, I know...

I don't "collect" but I have close to 100 discs simply because I read about some disc and just can't resist trying it. I'm a disc nerd. Unrepentant.

It's so easy to get caught up with a plastic addition. Often times it's pretty hard to try before you buy unless a friend happens to have that disc, so it's easy to convince yourself to drop $10-$15 on a disc just to give it a try, only to find out that you don't love it and you take it out of your bag after a few rounds. With all the different discs out there now, and new ones coming out all the time, this can lead to a lot of disc purchases and a closet full of discs. Then, when you do find the ones you love, you buy multiple in every different plastic, weight, color, etc... just because you're already so damn addicted. Plus, when places like Marshall Street offer free shipping on orders over $50, why wouldn't you add another disc or two to the cart for free shipping?

Then, when you do find the ones you love, you buy multiple in every different plastic, weight, color, etc... just because you're already so damn addicted. Plus, when places like Marshall Street offer free shipping on orders over $50, why wouldn't you add another disc or two to the cart for free shipping?

Those two are my curses. Buying multiple plastic types of one mold to explore their differences, and adding on discs I don't need to get the free shipping. Guilty as charged. My only saving grace is that I started here on DGCR and I don't bag a disc over speed 8 and I don't own a disc over speed 10. Dodged a bullet there for sure! Whew!

Last edited:
I have found, you are better off to not put your name/# on discs.
If you loose it, and have to go buy a new one
is a lot cheaper
Than having a bunch of discs you don't throw in bins, that are worth almost nothing, to resell, because of ink.

is a lot cheaper
Than having a bunch of discs you don't throw in bins, that are worth almost nothing, to resell, because of ink.

write it small on the rim and most people don't care. if you use a little rubbing alcohol or acetone, a lot of it will come off.

^^^Silver sharpie also comes off much better than black. In other news, to the OP if you only bought 12 in two years....you're doing great! ....I think I bought 30 last week

I have been playing for about 2 years and hover around 35 discs 20 of which are in my bag. I don't hang onto discs I don't throw so as soon as something leaves the bag I trade it or sell it. I will never have more than what I can throw and a couple back ups.

is a lot cheaper

100 percent acetone will take all of it off, then some multi surface cleaner after that.

Need to get some acetone to clean my old email off my discs. BTW as for collecting discs, just ordered more yesterday so yeah it can be addictive

Latest posts