• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG in Manila and bringing discs

TheOtherBill

* Ace Member *
Heading to Manila in three weeks for business, but because I will be working third shift in order to stay on east coast US time I will have a good part of the day to f@rt around.

I've already touched base with the Disc Golf Philippines Facebook group, and we are trying to find a good time to play their object course.

From what I understand, they mostly use Ultimate discs because golf discs aren't available and shipping is crazy $$$. It's around $45-50 to ship a one pound package to a residential address from Dallas, so I was going to stuff a bag with discs for them to keep.

My problem is that I have never played ultimate, so I don't know which golf discs are easiest for ultimate players to start with when moving over to real golf discs. Yeah, a Zephyr and similar sized discs would be fine, but I'm looking for discs that US players use (and available in DX!) that former Ultimate players have found to be easier for transitioning to DG - putter, mid or drivers suggestions welcome.

Yes, once I actually play their course I will list it on DGCR. :thmbup:

Have about a week before my flight so 'bump'

Right now I'm thinking about picking up 6 DX leopards and 6 Aviars. I know Ultimate players use lots of FH but it may be best for them to learn to throw that shot with understable discs as well instead of developing bad throwing habits like mine.

Last edited:
Comets are a great idea, had not thought of those since I haven't thrown them in many many years.

One of the best days of discin' I've ever had

What a day, just incredible. Here's the new course listing and my review -

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=9631&mode=ci

By bringing 10 discs for JP and his friends I apparently increased the total number of discs from 2 to 12 for the entire country. I also brought a couple back issues of the magazine with some instructional articles and pointed out the hook-up for Randy Signor, the PDGA International director, in order to hopefully get some with supplies through their outreach program. They were surprised to see PDGA coordinators for Korea, Japan and Thailand and will be reaching out to them as well.

Two of the guys each had one beat-up DX Roc and no idea there were so many types of molds or things like "a putter has the more rounded edge". Throwing forehand was completely new, as well as turbo putting and thumbers. They thought rollers were just bad throws and should always be avoided.

We had dozens and dozens of people stopping to check out WTH was going on as we made the 9-hole loop on JP's temp course on his homemade baskets around a huge park near the sports complex at the University of Philippines. JP is an event director at UP so he is hoping to use the interest we generated today to get the university to create a disc golf program and open up more land for use. There is a closed ball golf course near the park that belongs to UP and it looks like an ideal spot for a truly remarkable course, but there was plenty of challenge already just using his temp layout.

On hole 2 we met up with Dom, Rose and Vince who have a kids' camp outside of the city. Dom had seen a YouTube video a few months ago of kids playing disc golf and thought that looked like something they could introduce. So about a month ago in the camp facility garage they made their own basket but had no idea there are discs specific to that basket! JP and I are trying to get out to their camp on Tuesday to help them map out a kids' course and maybe also set up more advanced tees for any adults that want to try it. If we get that done it will be the first permanent course in the country :)

Here's the Disc Golf Philippines Facebook page to check out some pics from the day. Please like and follow as the more people JP can point to as interested in what is going on, the more likely he is to get funding help from the university:

https://www.facebook.com/discgolfphilippines/

Amazing that this was only 5 years ago and now the Philippines has its own PDGA coordinator and sponsorship from Lone Star Discs.

AND they are putting on the first-ever PDGA tournament in a few weeks! I'm humbled to think that some of the discs that I brought overseas will be used for it.

329625209_842152616848011_5522155362828501344_n.jpg

I know Thailand ain't the Philippines but Disc golf Guy has some post produced footage of a tournament there recently. Between that and the Aussie stuff it's cool to see Disc Golf sweeping the globe so to speak