• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Great Lakes Open presented by DISCRAFT July 5-7

Out of 138 players in Open... 128 have PDGA numbers of 20K or higher.

Probably because those with PDGA numbers under 20k are playing age protected divisions by now and have no desire to play a course like the Toboggan :)
There's a good number of Michigan pros in the pre-20000s that aren't 40+.

Well where are they at? Was this pre-reg tiered allowing higher rated players to register first?
Hell if I know, that's my question.

Though after looking at it just now - its clear there are fewer than I thought. Among non-current sub-20000 numbers I counted up informally 4 names. Among current sub-20000 numbers I checked each profile and found 5. So there's MAYBE 10 sub-20000 pro players that are not yet 40 in Michigan. I'd assumed more like 20, I was definitely off.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/DiscGolfProTour/posts/?ref=page_internal
The Discraft Disc Golf's Great Lakes Open takes place this weekend! July 5-7th. You can choose who will be on the MPO Live and Feature cards for round one.

On the Live Card will be last year's champion Paul McBeth, last year's runner-up Willie Prince, and 3rd place Ledgestone Insurance Open player Kevin Jones. They will be joined by the winner of the fan vote.

On the CentralCoastDiscGolf feature card will be Discraft Disc Golf player Adam Hammes, and currently 7th in Tour Points Alex Russell alongside the players who take second and third in the fan vote.

The fan vote takes place from now until 5 PM ET on Tuesday night. You can vote by liking, commenting, and sharing your favorite players' photo. Players in the fan vote are currently the top in DGPT standings who have not already won two fan votes this season plus two locals.

Up for a vote this week Calvin Heimburg, Andrew Preznell, Reid Frescura, A.j. Risley, Austin Hannum, Grady Shue, Anthony Barela, Chris Clemons, Joel Freeman, Nathan Queen, Tim Barham, and Andrew Marwede

The FPO Fan Vote is underway for this week's Discraft Disc Golf's Great Lakes Open taking place July 5-7th.

You can vote for who will be playing on the LIVE Feature card alongside last year's winner Sarah Hokom, runner-up Paige Bjerkaas, and Discraft Disc Golf's Vanessa Van Dyken. Post-produced coverage of the FPO feature/lead card will be provided on a next-week time schedule by GK Productions.

You can vote in three ways by liking, commenting, and sharing your favorite players photo. Players are chosen for the fan vote based on the top ten in Tour Points standings not already on a feature card and not having already won two fan votes in a season, along with two local players.

This weeks fan vote includes Paige Pierce, Catrina Allen, Rebecca Cox, Jessica weese, Madison Anne Walker, Lisa Fajkus Disc Golf Athlete, Kona Panis Disc Golf, Holly Finley, Erika Stinchcomb, Ellen Widboom, Liz Carr-Sypien, and Sarah DeMar

https://www.dgpt.com/discraft-great-lakes-open-spectator-info.html

FPO live starts at 9am. MPO teeoff at 3:30pm with something called the "Pro Show" starting the live coverage at 3pm Friday thru Sunday.

With only one postpro crew, I guess that means there wont be chase card vids for rounds 2 and 3?...

Last edited:
With only one postpro crew, I guess that means there wont be chase card vids for rounds 2 and 3?...

I wouldn't assume that. CCDG isn't doing post-production for the featured live card on day 1, why assume that they will be covering the lead card on day 2/3 (which obviously will be the live card)? Perhaps the post-production for the lead card will be a "SmashCutt" or a delayed release re-edit of the footage. The FPO lead card post-produced isn't going to be next day, maybe MPO lead card won't be either.

It's been said before, but if the idea is that they want to boost live viewership, holding the post-produced releases until after the event is over is a good way to steer people to it. Especially on occasions like this where they don't have the manpower (independent crews) to do it.

If there is only 1 post production crew coming (I honestly don't know) then you can safely assume that there will not be 2nd or 3rd card coverage during rounds 2 & 3.

We haven't been asked or been approached to do any sort of SmashCutt. So, don't expect to see that.

I wouldn't assume that. CCDG isn't doing post-production for the featured live card on day 1, why assume that they will be covering the lead card on day 2/3 (which obviously will be the live card)? Perhaps the post-production for the lead card will be a "SmashCutt" or a delayed release re-edit of the footage. The FPO lead card post-produced isn't going to be next day, maybe MPO lead card won't be either.

It's been said before, but if the idea is that they want to boost live viewership, holding the post-produced releases until after the event is over is a good way to steer people to it. Especially on occasions like this where they don't have the manpower (independent crews) to do it.

That's also a good way to make sure we don't show up haha.

Brutus is correct in his assumption. We'll be on lead card rounds 2 and 3. Next day vids. Brian Earhart and Kevin Jones on the mic. I'm on a family vacation this weekend, and they've offered to fill in :) Which they did a great job of at Ledgestone too. Great guys :clap::thmbup:

It's been said before, but if the idea is that they want to boost live viewership, holding the post-produced releases until after the event is over is a good way to steer people to it.

That reminds me of NFL and MLB home games being blacked out if they don't sell out in advanced. The theory was that doing so would cause people to buy tickets to the games. But the practice was far different, and the theory didn't work.

In a like manner, holding back the post-produced releases isn't (in and of itself) going to make people run panting to watch the live coverage. I'd bet that it won't make a difference, though how to quantitatively and concretely measure that, I don't know how to do. It also could hurt the post-produced viewings, as well.

I'm just glad DGLO has been such a high profile event since John Minicuci took over the reigns. It's really a treat to see the sport's very best, up close and personal... and basically right in my backyard.
:D

I'm just glad DGLO has been such a high profile event since John Minicuci took over the reigns. It's really a treat to see the sport's very best, up close and personal... and basically right in my backyard.
:D

Lest us not forget a 144 player A-Tier in the same park at the same time. This has really become a terrific event. Playing the AM side gives us a chance to pack up our gear after the round and drive the 5 minutes to Toboggan. Park up in the shade on the hill, kick back in a chair and tip a couple cold, frosty ones, while watching the last couple handfuls of pros tackle that beast.

John deserves a huge hoozah, but seeing four or five of our areas best TD's team up to host this event is fantastic.

Heard they were doing something different for the volunteer staff this year. Are you heading out to work the weekend, Bogey?

Lest us not forget a 144 player A-Tier in the same park at the same time. This has really become a terrific event. Playing the AM side gives us a chance to pack up our gear after the round and drive the 5 minutes to Toboggan. Park up in the shade on the hill, kick back in a chair and tip a couple cold, frosty ones, while watching the last couple handfuls of pros tackle that beast.

John deserves a huge hoozah, but seeing four or five of our areas best TD's team up to host this event is fantastic.

Heard they were doing something different for the volunteer staff this year. Are you heading out to work the weekend, Bogey?
Yes, nice that the big wigs from several area clubs work together to form the staff... several are accomplished TD's in their own right.

My daughter's in from DC, and her birthday is Sat, so I'll see what her plans are, and likely work around that. Probs be out there for most of Sun.

Last edited:
That reminds me of NFL and MLB home games being blacked out if they don't sell out in advanced. The theory was that doing so would cause people to buy tickets to the games. But the practice was far different, and the theory didn't work.

In a like manner, holding back the post-produced releases isn't (in and of itself) going to make people run panting to watch the live coverage. I'd bet that it won't make a difference, though how to quantitatively and concretely measure that, I don't know how to do. It also could hurt the post-produced viewings, as well.

I agree with you SD86. And I don't think that we need to drive people to the live, if they are interested they will find it. BUT... I do think that we might need to break people from the model of "free". I could see a time in the next few years that live and post production are a pay-per-view package.

In my dream world, I see that people are charged per event (or season pass) and you get access to the live and next day post production. Otherwise you wait up to a week or two for the post production & live videos.

Imagine paying $50/year for all the disc golf majors, NTs, & PT events. And if you want a single weekend, maybe that is only $5?

There are a few other things that need to happen before something like that is able to be done, but that is how a lot of other sports deal with their media.

I agree with you SD86. And I don't think that we need to drive people to the live, if they are interested they will find it. BUT... I do think that we might need to break people from the model of "free". I could see a time in the next few years that live and post production are a pay-per-view package.

In my dream world, I see that people are charged per event (or season pass) and you get access to the live and next day post production. Otherwise you wait up to a week or two for the post production & live videos.

Imagine paying $50/year for all the disc golf majors, NTs, & PT events. And if you want a single weekend, maybe that is only $5?

There are a few other things that need to happen before something like that is able to be done, but that is how a lot of other sports deal with their media.

IMHO that (or something very similar) was what Steve Dodge was angling for with his DGPT coverage, and what Jussi had dreams of with the DGWT coverage. But they way they went about it failed, for various reasons we need not rehash here...

Also, Jomez already has a Patreon account, where people can donate, or can subscribe to early and/or exclusive content. The DeLaveaga Skins coverage came out in installments under that concept.

However, I don't know that DG PPV is feasible. And a lot of sports is on free/cable TV with advertising. That model isn't going away soon, and would probably be the better route to continue with for the time being.

I have no problem with a pay per view model and support anyone who ultimately tries to go that route. That said, disc golf tournament viewing is a luxury for me, not a necessity, so I doubt that I would be paying to view.

SD. Possibly. Neither of us can know the future. I do know that hiring Jomez can be expensive for an event. And I also know that the events get very little financial return for having media companies there. I would love to see an arrangement where the media companies have to pay to be at events. But again, we run into all sorts of issues with sponsors and advertisers that have been drug up for years now.

All of the major media companies have a Patreon. And that wouldn't stop even with that model. Because there will always be A-tiers, Skins matches, etc for us to cover.

Who knows. The future will be fun.

Latest posts