• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 DGPT - Idlewild Open presented Aug 13-15

Has PMB said anything about the final round? I would tend to think that something is/was up...injury, serious personal matter of some sort....idk.

Probably totally unrelated, but...does anyone know where Hannah has gone? Seemed like she was increasing her presence in commentary, playing in some tourneys, etc. Have not seen/heard about her in months though it seems.

Probably totally unrelated, but...does anyone know where Hannah has gone? Seemed like she was increasing her presence in commentary, playing in some tourneys, etc. Have not seen/heard about her in months though it seems.
Has anyone ever heard them talk about starting a family?

Fir Paul to throw -9,-11,-2, it does seem that something might be off.

But, he's been a hair off all year IMO. Had some great play, but inconsistent. That's disc golf, just not McBeth disc golf.

I love Idlewild. I grew up in the area and that course has kicked my butt for years. However, if I were the TD (I have no experience, this is based solely on watching the pros play the course), I would change a few things.

Hole 3: I'd keep the ditch OB for the MPO layout, but remove it from the FPO layout. I think the FPO being able to pure a 400' line like that should be rewarded with a birdie look, especially since this course is punishing to them.

Hole 4: Take your pick - either make the basket a little less elevated (but still higher than normal, maybe the center of the basket is face-height?) and keep it in its same place, or keep it highly-elevated and move it about 10' more up the hill. I agree with the old guy that this hole has become a little boring to watch since people rarely go for it anymore.

Hole 5: Either make the FPO a Par 4 from its current tee to match the MPO's par, or flip the MPO and FPO tees and keep the teepad's respective pars. I don't think being about 100' closer on this hole equates it to being one stroke easier, especially for the FPO field. And again, there's not a lot of birdies to be had on their side, so this would help on that front.

Hole 8: I'd consider making this a Par 4 for the MPO, if the scoring average showed it would be a tough Par 4 (maybe 4.3-4.4 or lower).

That's pretty much it from me. If I had to prioritize them, I'd go Hole 5, Hole 4, Hole 3, Hole 8. I know that the depth/strength of the field in FPO is not as high as on the MPO side, but it doesn't bode well for the sport when only one person finishes the tournament under par.

There might be other opinions that people have, and I'd love to hear about them.

I'd far rather see greens and the approaches to the greens designed in more creative ways... In stick golf you've got greens that are actively designed to have easier or harder regions. According to data from the Trackman app - average stick golfing pros make 95% of their putts from 12' with no break, versus only 40% of their putts from 12' while on tour. The fact that our touring pros make such a high percentage of their putts is not a referendum on the target any more than the fact that stick golfers make 95% of their no-break putts from 12' is a referendum on the ball/hole sizes.

If the average disc golf pro is a 95% putter from 25' on a flat green in practice, we should be focused on improving green design such that they're 40% putters from that range in tournaments. It is perfectly fine for them to be 95% from that range - if we are making it difficult for them to achieve a spot on the green where that putt can be accessed. To some extent USDGC and Belton (I think) had it right with the mozzarella sticks. But it should be done using more natural obstacles. Shrubbery, small trees, more severe slope where possible, even aesthetically pleasing elevated baskets.

I don't know where you got that 95% stat. "If" they already know the break is straight? Because in ball golf they don't. I could see on a flat indoor artificial turf. 95% is possible from 12 feet, that even seems unlikely. Then again disc golfers are throwing it to 12 feet more often then ball golfers are hitting it to 12 feet.

It's not even about the comparison, because the two couldn't be further apart in terms of percentages. We consider 10 footers tap ins, ball golfers are 40%. 100% to 40%.

Now to the issue of redesigning every courses putting green. I think it'd simply be easier to change the basket then redesign every green. What are you going to put 500-1000 dollars of labor/equipment tree cost into deigning all these greens? Seems impractical.

On the Nick and Matt show last night they said that Paul stated that he thought his FH was off.

It's not just you. I've said that at several events. I just don't get why (as we're trying to more "professionalize" the sport) we allow SPECTATORS on the field of play. On hole #8, if a player wanted to throw full flex forehand or flip up turnover backhand, they would have to violate the code b/c spectators were that close. I don't get it.

I will say I was there, and that shot looked weird on TV and looked way tighter than in person. They were out of the line, and throwing idle 1000's of times. DGPT was literaly the people moving them and he was coordinating the crowds, etc. I mean they were literaly standing on the ob wall of hole 1. I guess, it was just the camera angle. Day 2 was pretty rough with crowd control, but can say the final round, it was really good. They were barking pretty harshly at the crowds.

I think it's interesting that he only high-fived Heimburg.

Not really. Heimburg was just there and the reaction was automatic. Its not like he seemed interested in prolonged celebration and/or left someone else hanging.

Wasnt the McBeth back tweak originally from way back in the European Open, like 6 years ago?

Also, to the person talking about obstructions on the green: Yuck. So much yuck. Perhaps a tree trunk or two, just MAYBE, if they happen to be there and are nice trees. Just dont have it cluttered with small growth crap. Or build up manufactured obstacles. Even more yuck.

Last edited:
Performance Tracks

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IW21F.png
    IW21F.png
    117.2 KB · Views: 249
  • IW21M.png
    IW21M.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 237
Performance Tracks

That JK slide...

I was on Udisc live scoring for that 2nd round FPO lead card. Watching JK go +6 on the first 2 holes of that round was rough. I think she missed a putt wide by about 5' from only 15' out on hole 1 and it didn't get much better after that.

Love watching her play though and I hope she keeps touring.

Performance Tracks

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for these. Awesome as always!
I enjoy looking at these after tournaments I watched. It's cool to see when players' lines go in opposite directions and thinking back to what actually happened. (Wysocki's bogeys on holes #35 and 36 or Drew Gibson's double bogey on hole 14 round 2 (hole #32) when others are getting birdie or par.
I like how Marwede's rounds of -8. -8, -9 is just a steady upward climb.

That JK slide...

I was on Udisc live scoring for that 2nd round FPO lead card. Watching JK go +6 on the first 2 holes of that round was rough. I think she missed a putt wide by about 5' from only 15' out on hole 1 and it didn't get much better after that.

Love watching her play though and I hope she keeps touring.

Yeah even more of a bummer when she is absolute butter off the tee, firing laser beams right down the middle, and would have already won a DGPT event (at age 50!) or even possibly contended for Worlds had she been able to hit some putts. It's not new, she mentioned in a recent interview that at the end of her main tourning days in the mid 2000s she had all sorts of consistency issues hitting putts.

Makes what people like Paige and Missy do even the more impressive really when you see them step up and fire away so confidently.

Looking at her form she is really leaning forward over her front foot and not getting much push off her back leg. People often do this in a subconscious effort to get as close to the basket as possible, not realizing you're losing a lot of your putting power and accuracy by not getting a push off that back foot. I suspect that has at least something to do with it.

Performance Tracks

What exactly is being shown here? I get the 54 holes across the bottom, and I think the vertical axis is strokes. How is each player's starting position decided? Why do the lines move up and down in increments of less than 1 (if the vertical is indeed strokes)?

What exactly is being shown here? I get the 54 holes across the bottom, and I think the vertical axis is strokes. How is each player's starting position decided? Why do the lines move up and down in increments of less than 1 (if the vertical is indeed strokes)?

I'll try to answer this, and others can fill in/correct stuff.

The horizontal axis is the number of holes that each player has completed, like I think you were suggesting. Vertical is the total number of strokes that each player is projected to throw for the tournament, based on their current pdga rating. Wysocki, McMahon, and McBeth are listed at the top initially, because they have the best pdga ratings, so it makes sense that they are expected to throw a smaller total number of strokes.

At the end of each hole, a new computation shows how many total strokes the player is projected to throw at that point. In Eagle M's case, he was projected to throw about 176.5 strokes total before the tournament started, but after hole 1, his projected total went down a bit to around 176.2.

Without knowing Steve's formula for computing projected number of strokes, I simply look to see how much each player's total projected strokes went down or up in value after each successive hole. If their total strokes projection went up during a particular hole, then I interpret this to mean that they did not score well on that hole (or at least well against their projected total score). If their projected score changes greatly, either up or down, then I know that their performance on that hole was very good/bad.

Steve's graphs shows the player's "projected score for the tournament" after n number of holes.

I believe it starts off based on their rating (so higher rated players would start with a lower projected score), then accounts for their hole by hole performance as they progress through the tournament.

A player whose track continuously slopes upward, is consistently playing above their rating.

Last edited:

Latest posts