• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Match Play Championship

Heimborg always seems effortlessy cool, with a dry sense of humor and a quiet confidence.
Hard not to like the guy.

You don't find many idjits with a Chem Engineering degree from a big name university.

Last edited:
If I have to hear Terry Miller say "Halve the hole" one more time... I know that's the lingo, but for some reason it really annoyed me.

If I have to hear Terry Miller say "Halve the hole" one more time... I know that's the lingo, but for some reason it really annoyed me.

for me its: if I hear him make the same dead a$$ joke about Calvin's dry personality

we get it, Vinny is even keeled and doesnt wear his emotion on his sleeve. no need to make the same sarcastic joke EVERY TIME he does something good. it was funny when Calvin was new on the scene, now its just old.

I just tried to watch some of the post produced coverage. There is no way in hell I can handle watching the same 12 holes 15 times in a row or whatever it will end up being. There are more trees in my yard than what comes into play on that course. I might watch the final whenever that finally gets posted, but otherwise I am done watching this one.

I just tried to watch some of the post produced coverage. There is no way in hell I can handle watching the same 12 holes 15 times in a row or whatever it will end up being. There are more trees in my yard than what comes into play on that course. I might watch the final whenever that finally gets posted, but otherwise I am done watching this one.

Since there's no lead card to focus on in match play, post-production is in a tricky spot. They could focus on showing every shot as they usually do, but if they follow every card, that's an overwhelming amount of content that nobody will watch all of. Or they could focus on only one or two cards, but miss out on exciting matchups elsewhere. Or they follow every card, but only show highlights, not every shot. No matter what they choose, people will be unhappy. Match play was fun to follow live, and I have no intention of watching the post-produced coverage.

could always watch the final on youtube, but sounds like you'd prefer post produced over archived live footage. which I don't at all blame you or anybody for!

I watched a few of the MPO matches last night. One thing that bugs me about the match play scoring is that the scoring separation, per hole, is either one or zero. There's no "big swing" potential, at least not bigger than 1 point.

I understand that this is part of the appeal of Match Play. Specifically, the out-of-position player is incentivized to attempt a low percentage/high reward shot. The risk is nonexistent, because you can't do any worse than losing one point on a hole!

But for every out-of-position player running an aggressive shot, you have the in-position player who only needs to lay up. There's no incentive to attempt winning a hole by more than one throw; no reason to try for another great throw if you're already in the driver's seat.

I watched a few of the MPO matches last night. One thing that bugs me about the match play scoring is that the scoring separation, per hole, is either one or zero. There's no "big swing" potential, at least not bigger than 1 point.

I understand that this is part of the appeal of Match Play. Specifically, the out-of-position player is incentivized to attempt a low percentage/high reward shot. The risk is nonexistent, because you can't do any worse than losing one point on a hole!

But for every out-of-position player running an aggressive shot, you have the in-position player who only needs to lay up. There's no incentive to attempt winning a hole by more than one throw; no reason to try for another great throw if you're already in the driver's seat.

Partly this is because you didn't understand what you were watching on hole #1.

Stroke play/regular scoring, it's NBD if you miss your birdie opportunity on hole #1, there are 17/35/53/71 more holes to play. There can be two or more stroke swings. Shots are out there.

In this bracketed match play, you have precisely 12 opportunities to take a hole from your opponent. Miss out on hole #1, when you could have taken it, that's a big missed opportunity. Conversely, put yourself back in position when you scuffed your drive and you have really affected the match. Hole #1 matters more in match play.

And then you get into team match play, which is some of the most intense competition out there. It's a whole different kind of pressure cooker.

I for one am enjoying the change of pace immensely. We watch so much stroke play (hehe) that match play is a welcomed reprieve from the normal coverage.

Partly this is because you didn't understand what you were watching on hole #1.

Fortunately i have
U to help
Correct my
Knuckleheaded misunderstanding.

Your condescension really
Outlines the ways in which you
Understand better than i do.

Fortunately i have
U to help
Correct my
Knuckleheaded misunderstanding.

Your condescension really
Outlines the ways in which you
Understand better than i do.

Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? Sheesh.