• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Pro Tour Championship 2020

Wierd award, 1st and 2nd got a trophy´. .. not 3rd?

There was 3 thophys on the table. . did Cat leave?

Not a good weekend for the top in the pro tour standings. . 7th in MPO won..and 4th in FPO

Some of the trophies were for the event, some were for the season.

Wierd award, 1st and 2nd got a trophy´. .. not 3rd?

There was 3 thophys on the table. . did Cat leave?

Not a good weekend for the top in the pro tour standings. . 7th in MPO won..and 4th in FPO

There were three on the table before the start of the awards ceremony. The tournament director moved the 3rd place trophy under/behind the table. Catrina must have vacated the area. She was back on the course during the MPO round. She was on camera on the 16th tee.

Interesting event. The tournament style format was definitely different. Not sure this is the best course for it. If a player starts out a little off, not much of a chance to recover and get back in the groove.

it is an interesting course. Like someone said, kind of heavily dependent on the 400' laser shot. Calvin's unwinding after an amazing -10 round is very telling about just how tough this course is and the other side of the coin for KJUSA and his consistency under pressure.

The course only gives an inch, try to take a mile and bogey+ is in your future. There are a few ace run opportunities (though highly unlikely), but a player needs to be super consistent for 18 holes to score well.

...but a player needs to be super consistent for 18 holes to score well.

There is definitely a fine line between challenging the pros and putting on a good show for the viewers. As much as I enjoyed the skill set needed to win, I wish there were a few more open holes for our viewing pleasure.

It might be a bigger hit for manufacturers.

This is probably huge for Prodigy to have KJ and Dickerson run away.

Yes a very good day for Prodigy.....and a good day for Discraft
Ok for Innova to have two players in the finals..but both came last

There were three on the table before the start of the awards ceremony. The tournament director moved the 3rd place trophy under/behind the table. Catrina must have vacated the area. She was back on the course during the MPO round. She was on camera on the 16th tee.

They had season award ceremony with all the players 1-3 and points awards after Men's round.

There is definitely a fine line between challenging the pros and putting on a good show for the viewers. As much as I enjoyed the skill set needed to win, I wish there were a few more open holes for our viewing pleasure.

Agreed. For TV views, it may be hard to appreciate how tough that course is. Seeing Calvin have an 8 stroke swing was really surprising.

I greatly prefer seeing disc golf in the woods instead of in the wide open spaces. But I don't know what the non-disc golfing public responds to better.

They did have some cool angles though, like the overhead camera on the gauntlet. Looked like the cameraman was filming from a deer stand in a tree.

I agree the difficulty of the course won't translate to the casual ESPN2 viewers, but both the men's and women's final rounds were nail biters. I think extremely tight finishes will be more entertaining for casual viewers than if they were playing on a country club style course and somebody was blowing away the field.

The ESPN2 footage will be 2 hours long but is also supposed to have some player introduction stuff. I think that might appeal to some casual viewers but hope it doesn't mean there will be a lot of actual tournament round action skipped over.

When courses like Nest, Winthrop Gold, Idlewild are being used where top-level players have round scores that vary wider than "normal", there's a level of flukiness in several holes that can produce this variance. When certain players consistently overcome this flukiness like Dickerson in recent years, it seems the key skill being tested by these courses is the ability to scramble and the mental toughness to handle adversity such as pitching out versus trying to execute "magic" shots.

I greatly prefer seeing disc golf in the woods instead of in the wide open spaces. But I don't know what the non-disc golfing public responds to better.

I'm not sure either. Heck, I watch all kinds of disc golf and find woods golf a little frustrating to watch myself. I have to watch a couple of cards to get a feel for what I'm watching.

On some of these holes, you see the pro step up to the tee, you see a bunch of trees, you don't see the basket or an obvious fairway, then you see the pro throw something that veers off into the trees. Then they go to the other camera shot and you see it bounce off a tree and land in an area and still have no perspective of if the shot was good or not. Heck, watching the Uli/Jerm practice round, Uli would sometimes throw a shot and ask if it was good.

I'm not sure either. Heck, I watch all kinds of disc golf and find woods golf a little frustrating to watch myself. I have to watch a couple of cards to get a feel for what I'm watching.

On some of these holes, you see the pro step up to the tee, you see a bunch of trees, you don't see the basket or an obvious fairway, then you see the pro throw something that veers off into the trees. Then they go to the other camera shot and you see it bounce off a tree and land in an area and still have no perspective of if the shot was good or not. Heck, watching the Uli/Jerm practice round, Uli would sometimes throw a shot and ask if it was good.
That's why reachable holes off the tee or to a clearly visible landing zone can be better for video comprehension because the viewer can more easily see whether a shot is good or not without much commentary.

Maybe the broadcast will demonstrate that disc golf as it has been traditionally played does not translate well for television production directed at lay audiences. Truth be told, there's not a ton that the production teams can do to "catch up" audiences so that they know what they are watching, and know what a good shot is, and know why a particular throw did what it did in the air. That's just not possible.

I think the better question is if a course like Emporia or a course like Hornet's Nest is more captivating to audiences. Which one do they enjoy watching more? Which one keeps their attention? Which one makes them more interested in the thing they are watching?

I think the better question is if a course like Emporia or a course like Hornet's Nest is more captivating to audiences. Which one do they enjoy watching more? Which one keeps their attention? Which one makes them more interested in the thing they are watching?
Even with the Covid boost, we may still be in the realm of deciding whether a documentary on, "The Fight Between Invasive Weeds & Native Grasses" or "The Battle for Tree Canopy Supremacy" will have better ratings versus figuring out how to change the game or competition format to get to the viewership level of say "Holey Moley" (2 million+). But things seem to be going in the right direction as long as the money infusion continues.

Even with the Covid boost, we may still be in the realm of deciding whether a documentary on, "The Fight Between Invasive Weeds & Native Grasses" or "The Battle for Tree Canopy Supremacy" will have better ratings versus figuring out how to change the game or competition format to get to the viewership level of say "Holey Moley" (2 million+). But things seem to be going in the right direction as long as the money infusion continues.

If you could let me know what streaming services carry those documentaries, that would be great bc they sound awesome. You think I'm joking but before Netflix had individual user accounts I skewed my gf's recommendations by watching frog documentaries for a week while sick.

As for DG, I hope we never get the viewership to make the game acceptable to a mainstream audience. That said, I would be interested in what a general audience thinks. Was reminded at the course on Saturday how the physics of a frisbee can madly befuddle the uninitiated*. I would think it would have to be somewhat amazing to see people fling a frisbee 400-600 feet using all kinds of throws, but never chicken wings, alas. Maybe a world champion who only throws chicken wings is the growth ticket!

*what befuddles me is why the initiated like to stand in front of the thrower, but I think I answered my own befuddlement.

The DGPT Final format creates great drama and we can see that dark horses have a chance to break through. It seems like the top 4 seeds may be at a disadvantage not playing a competition round that matters for something before they play the four qualifiers in the semis. Perhaps they should play as a group in the quarterfinals and all four still make the semis regardless of score. However, their scores among the four determines their tiebreaking seeding for the semi round instead of their tour points. Maybe some money could be involved just among that foursome. That quarterfinal competition round might get them tuned up to contend a little better to make the Final.

If you could let me know what streaming services carry those documentaries, that would be great bc they sound awesome. You think I'm joking but before Netflix had individual user accounts I skewed my gf's recommendations by watching frog documentaries for a week while sick.

As for DG, I hope we never get the viewership to make the game acceptable to a mainstream audience. That said, I would be interested in what a general audience thinks. Was reminded at the course on Saturday how the physics of a frisbee can madly befuddle the uninitiated*. I would think it would have to be somewhat amazing to see people fling a frisbee 400-600 feet using all kinds of throws, but never chicken wings, alas. Maybe a world champion who only throws chicken wings is the growth ticket!

*what befuddles me is why the initiated like to stand in front of the thrower, but I think I answered my own befuddlement.
I've been watching my share of Nature and Nova on PBS in the past 6 months but didn't see either of those titles.

This is the crux, of why I believe, that disc golf will never be a popular spectator sport.

Just one person's opinion here, but I prefer to WATCH courses that either A) have a mix of open/wooded shots, or B) are only lightly to moderately wooded.

Of tourneys I have watched, Idlewild is by far my favorite. It has everything. Short technical shots, water shots, open bomber holes, sharp turns right and left, roller opportunities, elevation changes, open to wooded greens, wooded tees to open greens, etc. I think its the variety that I love to spectate (and play, though I am horrible at it).

Maple Hill is a close second, though one complaint is there are not many major doglegs. But for scenery, and good mix, it certainly has that.

Even though I would classify as open to lightly wooded, I also really enjoy watching DGLO, because that course is so challenging, and there are still plenty of woods to contend with if you get off the fairways. Nasty, disc-losing woods.

If we are going to have the really big tourneys at the same courses every year, it would be nice if the course itself offered good variety.