• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT San Francisco Open

Did someone say Little Richard?

Little-Richard-Facebook-Fea.jpg

Sorry if this was already posted. I saw the reference to the DGPT site but not the links.

Lyle, I thought you were talking about Ricky Wysocki when you said "Little Richard."

I had no idea there was a player named Richard Little. :doh::doh:

I'm liking the Terry and Dixon commentary so far-good rapport with useful course/player info.

okay, one of you smart guys, what's the rule on rethrowing a disc that you've thrown OB?

Can't watch the video today, so I don't know exactly what you mean.

Are you asking if you're allowed to throw a disc that you've just thrown OB? If so, the answer is yes assuming you can retrieve it before you reach your lie and/or it's your turn to throw again. If we're talking an immediate re-tee type situation, then you're at your lie already so you'd have to retrieve the disc, return, and throw within 30 seconds.

There is no rule that disallows you from throwing a disc specifically because it has been thrown OB.

Someone told me this year that the rule had changed and you were not allowed to rethrow any OB disc. I found that awkward but could see why. But then I thought I saw it happen here, won't say where since you've not watched, and wondered. Thanks.

okay, one of you smart guys, what's the rule on rethrowing a disc that you've thrown OB?

Someone told me this year that the rule had changed and you were not allowed to rethrow any OB disc. I found that awkward but could see why. But then I thought I saw it happen here, won't say where since you've not watched, and wondered. Thanks.
I think that is one of those "old wives tale" rules. Someone probably started it to mess with somebody and it just keeps getting passed along...

Hey everyone, getting caught up on this thread

Pretty sure this is just a rebranded San Francisco Safari, which has been a long time B-tier event (dating back to the early 90s). Jonesboro, as I recall, had zero history as a PDGA event.

Two totally separate events (though Sean Jack has run the Safari from 2012-2016, and fun fact I was the TD last year).

This is the inaugural SFO. The course was installed last April, and it has been a HUGE community effort, my hats off to everyone involved.

O/U on how many discs land in the footgolf holes?...

Occasionally they do. This weekend we're playing it as it lies with no penalty, since the "piece of paper" lie rule change for '18 basically grants you the ability to stand behind the foot golf "cup" legally anyway.

Our local rule is a foot golf "ace" with a disc is considered a Black Ace and you pay $2 to each of your cardmates. :p:p

Just finished the hole preview vid. Couple interesting holes and some blah holes as you would expect form a golf course layout. No10 is 1188ft and Cory was talking about people getting eagles, lol...

Would be interested to know which holes you think are blah. Not saying you're wrong (as it's your opinion) but outside of 1, maybe 2, holes I think the course is a strong one.

San Francisco open and they're not playing golden gate park. Bummer

Golf course instead. Yikes

Not at all. GGP is not a tour stop, for all possible reasons (course difficulty, logistics, amenities, etc.)

This doesn't feel like playing disc golf on a golf course at all. It's a mental challenge, you have to calculate risk-reward on every single shot. You can't let up or get complacent.

In fact, I played with Jerm today and he did just that in during the round (even told another guy on our card "once you play this course once you understand it") - that was on hole 6. He didn't really get back on track until Hole 16.

This is a track you have to respect or it will turn on you quickly.

-------------

If anyone has questions let me know!

Hey everyone, getting caught up on this thread

Two totally separate events (though Sean Jack has run the Safari from 2012-2016, and fun fact I was the TD last year).

This is the inaugural SFO. The course was installed last April, and it has been a HUGE community effort, my hats off to everyone involved.

Occasionally they do. This weekend we're playing it as it lies with no penalty, since the "piece of paper" lie rule change for '18 basically grants you the ability to stand behind the foot golf "cup" legally anyway.

Our local rule is a foot golf "ace" with a disc is considered a Black Ace and you pay $2 to each of your cardmates. :p:p

Would be interested to know which holes you think are blah. Not saying you're wrong (as it's your opinion) but outside of 1, maybe 2, holes I think the course is a strong one.

!
The main one i really thought would have been blah from the drone, was the one eagle almost birdied with that giant roller and would have been the only one of the day. While it looks better from ground level, its just a bit too far i think for a par3 but not long enough for a par4. Eagle threw an amazing shot and was lucky to even get a look thru a gap. Hole 2 is kinda blah too i think. Throw a hyzer. The women's tee is better, imo. While short, at least they had the ceiling to deal with.

Last edited:
Pace of play was really bad on the live broadcast yesterday. They seem to have started early for some strange reason, and encountered numerous backups which led to lots of filler material and shots of the second to last card, which was of interest only to their friends and family.

Third year in and this is still an issue, unfortunately-can't continues if they want truly live broadcasts to become popular. Other than that, I thought it was a good effort with a generally clear signal and good commentary.

Latest posts