• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT San Francisco Open

manny_being_manny.jpg

First, Go back and look at Spin TV coverage. Their video was great too. Second, go look at McFly video, his is great too. Yet neither is getting what either CCDG or Jomez is getting.

1) Positioning and events covered
2) Commentary
3) Who is covered

Those are the only differences I can see.

And Yes, CCDG is very good coverage. What is different, angles, the length they cover flybys? Yep, Jomez does SloMez, and flight tracking (uh, what's that called again? oh yeah, JV called it a graphics package), but other than that, video quality and position of throw and catch cams is pretty good from both. It isn't hard. Hole preview with fly by. Drives, flights, landings. Putting.

I'd argue that the biggest thing Jomez does differently is working their arses off driving from event to event. Ian, if I recall, has a family. That whole living on the road thing would probably get him... a couch.

BTW - I like both, and send money to both. Darned good use of my money IMO.

My favorite Cory-ism is "Froggy". I don't even know what exactly it means, but he likes to throw it out there and it makes me laugh.

Thanks for the reminder. Yeah, Froggy rocks IMO. I can't even remember when I first heard him say it, but it gave me an immediate smile.

On the sweet/nostalgic side - I miss doing commentary. It's now been over a year.

I think it's only been 7 months or so?

-the guy that did commentary with you last :)

My favorite Cory-ism is "Froggy". I don't even know what exactly it means, but he likes to throw it out there and it makes me laugh.

It kills me every time! I was trying so hard to sneak in a "someone gettin' Toady" in response but the moment slipped by me.

Oh, that is just stolen from other things. I have heard it before, but Ian popularized it with the DG community. So props to him.

Yes I did mean that Ian 'originated' in the DG arena. And I don't remember hearing it anywhere else, though it may have been said before. ("Parting the Red Sea? That's Moses doing Moses things" said the Pharoah... :p )

Hey, I haven't had a chance to stir any pots either!

7. And finally, I want to have a sideline reporter too. And I hope that we get to work with Steve Hill on this, as he is a natural fit (and the perfect price point).

Bro clearly I need to talk to my representation and up my rates. :p

Ok. Serious question here now.

This event had the FPO FULL round coverage immediately before the MPO coverage. I would like some feedback on this. Here is my take...

I like the full FPO coverage because it give the FPO the full coverage that they deserve. But cutting the FPO out of the MPO footage creates a hole that we are currently filling with the hole preview and additional ads. And no, we can't do both, we don't have manpower to make 2 FPO cuts. :)

PS. I am not looking for critique on the FPO commentating. Just the concept of shifting the FPO to before the MPO.

This event had the FPO FULL round coverage immediately before the MPO coverage. I would like some feedback on this. Here is my take...

I like the full FPO coverage because it give the FPO the full coverage that they deserve. But cutting the FPO out of the MPO footage creates a hole that we are currently filling with the hole preview and additional ads. And no, we can't do both, we don't have manpower to make 2 FPO cuts. :)

PS. I am not looking for critique on the FPO commentating. Just the concept of shifting the FPO to before the MPO.

I was going to comment that good things are coming out of the trial and error of trying different things. One of those good things is the full FPO coverage with commentary (and it has been good commentary in the overall) before the MPO coverage. I've really liked that and I've made sure to watch it. So I think y'all found the right formula, and I hope you keep it up...

The gaps created by this can be filled with other things... sideline commentary, advertising, drone coverage (Cory did a good job with the commentated drone shots), and whatever else (as you said).

Overall I liked the separate broadcasts. I liked that it leaves time for hole previews, which I think are key for courses that are new to the tour and/or video coverage. The only critique I had was that the FPO coverage felt too much like all the post-produced stuff with the quick cuts from shot to shot. Was that an artistic decision or was that a time-based decision because it had to fit into a specific window? I feel like given the situation, a slightly longer cut with a bit more space between throws could benefit the commentary as was discussed upthread and give it a bit more of a live feel.

1.) I think a new thread would be warranted for the discussion of commentary critique and suggestions. However, I am not going to start that thread, because I am lazy.

2.) ThrowBot's completely subjective opinions on commentary:

I think you always need at least one pro on a commentary team. They just seem to give interesting insights that am-level players either can't, or don't feel confident enough to share. I'm always especially interested to hear course notes that don't necessarily show up on camera, like "Wind was strong left-to-right on this tee during this round" or "The green is very fast so you want to make sure and land your approach shot flat".

Also, it is very helpful to have a rightly/lefty duo, or a FH/BH duo, or just players that have both strong FH and BH game. This is part of why I like Nate & Jerm; both have strong FH and BH. Between the two of them, they can give pro-level insight on a variety of lines from every tee. Heck, they've probably both thrown a few different lines during practice.

Regarding stats:
There is a fine line between stats that are worth stating on the commentary and stats that aren't. "This hole is the 8th hardest on the course" is about the most meaningless statistic I can imagine. However, "These next four holes are all among the most difficult on the course" gives good insight into the mental game and course management. Also interested to hear, "This hole averaged 3.4 throws, so carding that 2 feels great".

Overall I liked the separate broadcasts. I liked that it leaves time for hole previews, which I think are key for courses that are new to the tour and/or video coverage. The only critique I had was that the FPO coverage felt too much like all the post-produced stuff with the quick cuts from shot to shot. Was that an artistic decision or was that a time-based decision because it had to fit into a specific window? I feel like given the situation, a slightly longer cut with a bit more space between throws could benefit the commentary as was discussed upthread and give it a bit more of a live feel.

Completely time based. The FPO coverage has to fit into the 45-55 minute window before the MPO, while still giving the commentators time to get off the course and over to the booth. And with Terry editing that footage as the round progresses, we don't have a lot of time for extras.

1.) I think a new thread would be warranted for the discussion of commentary critique and suggestions. However, I am not going to start that thread, because I am lazy.

Yeah, I know this is important but I'd love to hear in this thread from players and spectators what they thought about the course, the show we put on, etc.

I watched one round and am not really enticed to watch anymore, just didn't hold my interest?

two cents

Round 1 didn't have much wind, round 3 was definitely more entertaining if you like watching the top players squirm.:thmbup:

I think it's a great concept. I'm enjoying watching FPO as much as MPO so it's a great build up to watching the MPO players, especially when they play the same course. It's still hard to believe you guys were able to film the FPO, edit, get live commentary, broadcast it live, before the mpo players play. Seriously...who ever the ring leader is in that circus has some serious skills. That's super impressive on so many levels. Congrats because other than a few hiccups, you nailed it!

I liked the consept of having the full FPO round before the MPO. . .as far as the "hole" in the MPO coverage it would be nice to fill that with prerecorded player interviews or just have the comentators talking about the hole they playing.

But what type of coverage gives the FPO most views? Did the views go up when the MPO started or did most of the viewers tune in early and watch the FPO?

Could you reach out to the player's sponsors and have them send you In The Bag clips to fill dead space?

Perhaps that could even lead to paid for clips if they prove popular enough.

People always want to know what the guys on the lead and chase cards are throwing.

Latest posts