• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT WTF

^ There was a thread about that one too, for some odd reason.

Apparently, this was so bad that everyone watched it. :)

I've given Steve plenty of hash over the years, but this is a bit much. First, I suspect the lack of enjoyment is that we are mostly players, we're interested in what happened and we want it relatively recent. This brings little value to most players who watched the event or know what happened.

I suspect what Steve is driving at is a different audience. Whether he will get it or not remains to be seen.

1. While Jamie made a few observations that he felt would improve the video quality, in general, he approved. That is, Jamie is the expert. Even if you don't like Jamie, if you don't feel that his editing skills and the package he puts together are good, I suspect there aren't many of these canned videos that you're going to like. I agree from the perspective of comparing it to similar shorts from other sports. The pace and timing are good and don't leave you texting to your wife/husband about dinner.

2. As a story it's fine. Again, for a different audience. It's an intrigue about a lost opportunity. Most people like such stories. In my spare time, I write, and I'm fairly confident that the other writers I work with would think that the storytelling is fine, even if it wasn't about a topic they enjoyed.

3. Most sports do shorts like these. They are very common in the Olympics. They are used as filler between actual events and real-time action. Right now Steve is filling breaks in live action with, here's how the women played the hole coverage. Most posters here are going to more interested in how the hole plays cause they're watching from a player perspective. Steve would do well to consider that. What does a person who is interested in how the hole/course plays want to see in a short?

4. But, for a wider audience, say in Finland, such a short might play really well. For a guy/gal who's wife/husband is semi-interested, this might play well.

5. I agree though, the mallard was the best shot. Actually, the pictures taken were good. Well composed and laid out.

Overall, I think for what it's supposed to be, it's pretty good. It might not be to some peoples taste, but that doesn't mean it doesn't do what it was meant to do well.

I loved it... guess I'm in the minority... but included in that minority is Paige Pierce who said it was the best disc golf video she's ever watched.

"Wow. I genuinely think this is the best disc golf video I have ever seen! Even though it's making me cry all over again LOL!!!!
Media will grow our sport and this is what the world wants to see, drama!
SHARE THIS!" -PP

I think the problem is more with the folks in this forum than anything else... you guys hate everything.

I'll bite? 30 for 30? I know BeIn's 90 in 30, a cut take of a soccer match. It's close to a Smashcut.

it's an ESPN thing

What is 30 for 30?
It all began with Wayne Gretzky. The very first film in ESPN's 30 For 30 documentary series was Kings Ransom, director Peter Berg's account of the landmark trade of one of the greatest athletes in history. Since that film premiered on October 6, 2009, 30 for 30 has evolved into a series that has both revitalized and revolutionized the art of the sports documentary through a diverse range of filmmakers telling specific stories that touch on larger themes beyond sports.

These are professional athletes and the media SHOULD be able to focus on their failures as well as their triumphs. There is a severe oversaturation of puff pieces, which makes this a breath of fresh air, even if the video is somewhat poorly done.

I loved it... guess I'm in the minority... but included in that minority is Paige Pierce who said it was the best disc golf video she's ever watched.

"Wow. I genuinely think this is the best disc golf video I have ever seen! Even though it's making me cry all over again LOL!!!!
Media will grow our sport and this is what the world wants to see, drama!
SHARE THIS!" -PP

I think the problem is more with the folks in this forum than anything else... you guys hate everything.

Eh, it just seems to be a silly argument due to the next day rain out which couldn't be predicted. Might as well blame any hole she bogied or dropped a stroke over the three holes.

Paige sure liked it as she said on her FB page, "I genuinely think this is the best disc golf video I have ever seen!"

I wouldn't have seen it if it weren't pointed out as a bad video on DGCR. Now that I've seen it, I agree that it was bad. Seems like the video editing guys at DGPT had some extra time and were desperate to come up with something. Shoulda woulda coulda... not made this video...

Eh, it just seems to be a silly argument due to the next day rain out which couldn't be predicted. Might as well blame any hole she bogied or dropped a stroke over the three holes.

You're not incorrect. When I first watched Star Wars, I knew Darth was gonna die. And that Luke would become a Jedi. It isn't the conclusion, it's the pathway.

So yeah, it's a silly argument, if it were an argument. But it isn't. No one is arguing that she was gonna win, or could have won. it's a story. Then the question becomes, is it a well-told story? I give it a B. But for a first try, B ain't bad.

Too often in the world of the internet, it's an argument. Steve is a story teller. It isn't just this, he does it a lot. Nothing wrong there if you're willing to be entertained.

BTW - the arguments that it's a bad story resonate more with me than the argument positions. I have to admit, I thought less about the technical flow of the story than the imagery.

Latest posts