• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Did I do a bad thing?

Redemption=Apology be the bigger man maybe you can teach him discipline by showin him how to play the game by the rules anything outside of that hes gonna have to learn the hard way hes a kid duhhhhhhhhhhhh

there is no way im gonna hand over a disc to someone thats dosnt belong to them im gonna hold that disc till i see them or call them, if i dont have a cell ill call them from home if you put me in the same boat as that kid i would have gave your 5 back and hand your disc back to you but thats because im an ADULT then i would have said keep your money by the looks of your plastic you need it more than i do.

Omega, I don't care what anyone says, I like your attitude!

You're a funny guy.

Woodpecker

Maybe it was his mom's disc, or aunt, or cousin, or friend's mom, or........You never know.

I read an article, a few year's ago, on how every human on the planet is related. As I remember, the farthest apart any two people can be genetically related is 57th cousins.

So, in a way, you're correct. LOL

Woodpecker< (says if you're every in China, say hello to my 52nd cousin, Jui Lang Chen.)

You tell the kid youll give him a couple bucks if he gets it. The kid thinks, "He'll pay me if I throw him back his disc, heck yeah!" While looking for your misplaced property he finds a disc of his own! So the kids probably pretty happy that he finds a disc (value $5-$15 most likely).

So instead of callin it quits, he desides to be a nice guy and continue looking for yours. He finds it!! So at this point your both pretty happy. You hand him $5 (a couple bucks) and he gives you your disc. Then you demand he gives you the other disc because you know the owner, on top of that you tell the kid the $5 was for both.

This is where the deal gets sketchy! Put yourself in that kids shoes, anyone would have thought they were getting played in the situation!

^^ This is what I took from it. Even if it went down exactly as woodpecker said he would have been in the wrong.

However, the true story lies somewhere inbetween the two. Woodpeckers version is some kid wouldnt sell him a free disc so he made him. And the kids is some old guy tried to mug him.

You've got to be careful bullying. One of my best friends is a true vigilante and there's nothing he hates more than a bully. He is only 5'8" but works out every day and probably has a little roid rage and Napoleon Syndrome to go with his natural fearlessness. He will not hesitate to defend the weak. In countless situations I have seen him beat bullies until their face is just a bloody pulp. I usually wait until then to pull him off of them because I don't care for bullies either.

I don't think Woodpecker was acting like a bully in this situation. I got the impression from his original story that he was trying to defend his friend's property. Add on that this friend was a woman, and you could compare him to a knight defending a lady's honor. I really do suspect his sense of chivalry was involved in the passion of his perspective: he felt that the kid was stealing a lady's property. This wasn't as overt as running by an old lady and yanking her purse away, but it inspires the same kind of protective instinct.

To play the devil's advocate: How many of you would let a punk kid run by and steal a woman's purse, and not try to chase down and tackle the kid to get it back? How many of you would let a punk kid pick up and walk off with a woman's purse that she'd set down in a department store, and had turned away from? How many of you would be okay with a kid finding someone's wallet on the sidewalk, deciding not to call the owner, and then putting it in his own pocket, and walking away? How many of you would be okay with a kid finding somebody's baseball glove that was left on the playing field, with a name and phone number clearly marked on it, and think it's okay for that kid to consider it his own since he found it? Can you see where this is leading?

Yes, it's a matter of degree, but it's the same instinct.

I don't think Woodpecker was acting like a bully in this situation. I got the impression from his original story that he was trying to defend his friend's property. Add on that this friend was a woman, and you could compare him to a knight defending a lady's honor. I really do suspect his sense of chivalry was involved in the passion of his perspective: he felt that the kid was stealing a lady's property. This wasn't as overt as running by an old lady and yanking her purse away, but it inspires the same kind of protective instinct.

To play the devil's advocate: How many of you would let a punk kid run by and steal a woman's purse, and not try to chase down and tackle the kid to get it back? How many of you would let a punk kid pick up and walk off with a woman's purse that she'd set down in a department store, and had turned away from? How many of you would be okay with a kid finding someone's wallet on the sidewalk, deciding not to call the owner, and then putting it in his own pocket, and walking away? How many of you would be okay with a kid finding somebody's baseball glove that was left on the playing field, with a name and phone number clearly marked on it, and think it's okay for that kid to consider it his own since he found it? Can you see where this is leading?

Yes, it's a matter of degree, but it's the same instinct.

Instinct?
Woodpecker can correct me if I'm wrong....but I'd wager on even odds that just perhaps....just maybe...Woodpecker was hoping to gain Fair Maidens favor.....if you know what I mean. After all...the whole Woodpecker pseudonym is Freudian Phallic by no stretch of the imagination. I'm just saying.....

Just to play devils advocate. ;)

Instinct?
Woodpecker can correct me if I'm wrong....but I'd wager on even odds that just perhaps....just maybe...Woodpecker was hoping to gain Fair Maidens favor.....if you know what I mean. After all...the whole Woodpecker pseudonym is Freudian Phallic by no stretch of the imagination. I'm just saying.....

I wouldn't give you even odds. ;)

I wouldn't give you even odds. ;)

Even odds is as low as I'm going to go.....

I do find it kinda interesting that a woman is part of this tale.

We need more info on this. Perhaps there's a history to discover. Maybe there's less than altruistic motive.

Perhaps Sir Woodpecker has been wooing Fair Maiden's basket and has yet to hear the sweet sound of the chains.

Idle forum chatter....ignore my wandering mind.

..... a very nice lady pro that I have a lot of respect for..... I reached in my pocket.......

I pulled this quote from paragraph #4 of the initial post of this thread.

Sorry, Woodpecker, but we need to know more about the kind of respect involved and the symbolism of putting your hand in your pants at this particular moment. :rolleyes:

My dad was a Federal Court Reporter so I guess thats were I picked up the habit of rereading transcripts.

^^ This is what I took from it. Even if it went down exactly as woodpecker said he would have been in the wrong.

However, the true story lies somewhere inbetween the two. Woodpeckers version is some kid wouldnt sell him a free disc so he made him. And the kids is some old guy tried to mug him.

Gee, I don't believe I wrote that post quoted at the top of your thread.

I still can't see how anyone can say I bullyed the young man. Again, I offered him 2 bucks to LOOK for my disc. If he didn't find it, I'd still given him the money for his effort and I would have gone in after it.

When he pulled out the lady's disc, I upped the offer to five dollars and made it clear it was for her disc and finding mine. He, then, took the money and reniged on my offer. If he told me he was going to keep the lady's disc, given me the five back and to make it 2 bucks, everything would have been fine.

At the point he tried to get away with her disc and the five, it came down to one and only one thing. Theft!!

Theft rates right up there with murder to me. I wasn't going to stand for that no matter who was trying it. Believe me, the young man knew exactly what he was doing and probably thought since he was a minor and I was an adult, I wouldn't do anything and just walk away since they are indoctrinated at school and in the news media with this belief. Wrong answer!

Just tell me one thing. If the young man had been 18 or older and out weighed me by 20 lbs., would you guys still think I was a bully?

Woodpecker

Instinct?

Ha, Ha! LOL. I was wondering when one of you hounddogs was going to bring this up!

There's few reasons why this could never happen:

I've found the true love of my life. It took me 50 yrs. of my life to find her. If I combined all the other relationships in my life, they wouldn't reach the moon compared to what I feel for my lady. She is the universe to me! (Sappy, but true.)

Second, the lady in question is married to a great guy and I considered both of them my friends.

Third, I'd fear for my life! After her husband got done killing me, my girlfriend would probably get an axe and chop me into little pieces. I'd kind of like to go out of the world in one piece. LOL

It's time for you to get your mind out of the gutter. LOL

Woodpecker

Coulda, woulda, shoulda, hindsight. Fact is only Woodpecker knows exactly what he would do in the situation. This is like a bunch of greenies jawing about what they are going to do when they see the Elephant.

I'm with you on this one Woodpecker. The threat was risky in today's society, but I believe it was just. Things are F-ed up these days. When I was that age, I would have had your disc out of that water and handed it to you before you ever even got to the river. Money or not. Hell, I jumped into a river yesterday down in Florida because the guy that threw it was wearing pants, while I was wearing shorts and sandals. It took me just the time to walk over to that hole, hike up my shorts, wade in and toss it to him. Taking 3 minutes of my day to help someone out is totally worth it. The little sh!t Woodpecker dealt with didn't deserve the money after running his mouth.

I think your title says it all... You didn't ask "did I do the "RIGHT" thing".

You asked, Did I do a bad thing? Which tells me you've already figured out the answer in your heart.

However if not, and since I have not commented on this already, here is my take.

The kid finding the other persons (lady's) disc had nothing to do with the "agreement" you had with him to find your disc. He did not find and try to keep or steal your property.

What he did find (the lady's disc) was his to control, he found it, not you. The fact that your a disc golfer didn't give you the right to hijack his find..The fact that you know the previous owner, didn't give you the right to hijack his find. The fact that you offered him whatever amount of money you offered him for the disc didn't give you the right to demand he sell it to you for whatever you were offering him for it. The previous owner left her disc in the ditch (she made a decision to abandon her disc or property in a ditch) The kid found the disc, It was between him and his conscience do do what he considered to be the right thing.

If you, who spouted off the "Karma" or "Mojo" affect, actually believed in Karma yourself, then you would have been able to walk away from the situation and let karma alone handle the out come. You are not Karma nor is the black eye you threatened to give him karma or mojo as you called it.

What the situation boils down to when you remove all the emotional garbage attached to it is,

You, an adult, threatened a minor with physical violence...and you already knew in your heart, it was a bad thing to do and not the right thing to do....hence your title.

Last edited: