• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Did I do a bad thing?

It's a sad story. The poor kid was willing to get dirty and help out a stranger for a couple of dollars which is more than most would do. In the process he finds a treasure worth much more than two dollars. When he refuses to sell that treasure for the measly sum of $3.00 he is threatened and bullied and basically has his new found property stolen from him.

Woodpecker, you need to buy a replacement disc and go the course every weekend until you find that kid and give him is disc back. That's the right thing to do and the only thing that will ever help that poor kid ever forget that tragic day.

I think you miss a couple points in the story:
1. The kid was ALREADY screwing around in the water....the kid wasn't 'willing to get dirt and help out a stranger"...he was already in there.

2. Woodpecker, you need to buy a replacement disc and go the course every weekend until you find that kid and give him is disc back.

He finally flipped the disc up on the bank and told me to do something that is anatomically impossible. I flipped my disc down to him and told him to have a good life.

He already offered one of his OWN discs in place of the second disc.

I count plenty of times where WP was polite, and even offering up something to this bad mannered child and met with complete disrespect and rudeness. I think WP did what I wish more people did in life, and that is draw a line when it comes to boorish behavior from kids, or anyone for that matter, who don't seem to have any respect or manners being taught to them elsewhere.

IMO he's just letting us know. two kids at a movie theater were acting up and i gave them several warnings to be quiet. they failed to listen to me and i grabbed them by the ear and hulled them outside and gave them to the manager and said call there mother. told him what happened and when i came back several members of the audience cheered. i know some were not so happy but i needed to happen. sometimes just letting somebody know they had better listen is better but sometimes action is needed.

If I understand your comment correctly, you're saying the thread title is a rhetorical question. It sounds like this kid may have found discs in the past and may have sold them but was unable to do so in this case, thus the reaction to WP's offer and the kid's attempt to get away with the goods.

I think you should have unloaded your bag of long range drivers on his tough guy ass and then thrown him a twenty and said keep the discs the money and remember the lesson bitch!

This is the best thread of the year, I can't believe I go away for a couple days and get to come back to this! I enjoyed Omega's medieval comment, but the rest of his babel is horesh.t. I have always thought that. Kids will be kids, some are well behaved and others are not. As a teacher I know what I can and can not do with them or say to them. Laws and people are so F'ed up these days any simple mistake can get you in a lot of trouble. I probably would not have threatened them but I would have defiantly manipulated them to my favor.

I also like optidisc's lesson! (- the money and discs)

Disc are disc, if you find them you can give them back or not. You have to choose your enemies wisely, they will eventually recognize their own discs.

A lot of 13 year old kids (especially this one from the way the story goes) have no respect for authority and absolutely no character. Teachers are pretty much handcuffed in what they are able to do to discipline a child...and if the parents don't care enough to discipline them, we end up with a lot of crappy kids out there that grow up to be crappy adults. I think that this encounter was good for that kid. It will teach him that you can't act like a dumb(rear) for the rest of your life because there are consequences for your actions. Kids shouldn't talk that way to adults. PERIOD. The kid's dad should have spanked that kid's rear a long time ago and he wouldn't be talking that way. (If he has a dad that is...chances are he probably doesn't)

why do you think alot of us who have played for more than a year quit writing our name on our discs look at all this drama do we really go to the course to deal with all this crap i know i don,t i used to get mad about people not returning disc just like w.p. but ive gotten over that like the Queens say g.w.t.f. dosnt finding a disc help when losing a disc (ying yang ebb and flow) im glad some people like W.P. can have a heated discussion without name callin . for the love of the sport people please stop putting your names on your discs woudnt that be easier

Your disc has to be marked in tournies per PDGA rules. Most people use their name. Besides, I'm the one that pays the money for the disc, that makes it mine and returnable to me.
For love of the sport PLEASE HAVE AN OUNCE OF CHARACTER! Wouldn't that be easier?

Just for fun, I'm going to throw this out here.

I bet that the kid was high! :D

No hate-mail please. If I must spell it out... I'm just messing around!

And man have I been amazed by this thread. WOW!

This is the best thread of the year, I can't believe I go away for a couple days and get to come back to this! I enjoyed Omega's medieval comment, but the rest of his babel is horesh.t. I have always thought that. Kids will be kids, some are well behaved and others are not. As a teacher I know what I can and can not do with them or say to them. Laws and people are so F'ed up these days any simple mistake can get you in a lot of trouble. I probably would not have threatened them but I would have defiantly manipulated them to my favor.

I also like optidisc's lesson! (- the money and discs)

Disc are disc, if you find them you can give them back or not. You have to choose your enemies wisely, they will eventually recognize their own discs.

Earlier in my life I thought about teaching as a career. These days, if I was given a choice of going to war in Iraq or teaching in a middle or high school, I'd pick the war.

Sometimes, it can be a thankless job. You have my admiration.

Woodpecker

Just for fun, I'm going to throw this out here.

I bet that the kid was high! :D

No hate-mail please. If I must spell it out... I'm just messing around!

And man have I been amazed by this thread. WOW!

Having spent twenty five years on the underbelly of society in the pool and bar subculture, I can spot somebody on drugs a block away. I got so good at it I could normally tell what kind of drugs they were on and whether they got a good batch or a bad one. LOL

Naw, this kid wasn't high at the time but maybe that's why he wanted that five spot so bad. Who knows?

Woodpecker

Last edited:
why do you think alot of us who have played for more than a year quit writing our name on our discs look at all this drama do we really go to the course to deal with all this crap i know i don,t i used to get mad about people not returning disc just like w.p. but ive gotten over that like the Queens say g.w.t.f. dosnt finding a disc help when losing a disc (ying yang ebb and flow) im glad some people like W.P. can have a heated discussion without name callin . for the love of the sport people please stop putting your names on your discs woudnt that be easier

I don't know about you, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on plastic. If I lose a disc, i can't go right back out and replace it. Yeah, so maybe I'm only at about 40% on callbacks for my discs, but it beats the 0% you're getting by not marking them.

And not to be a grammar snob, but punctuation would make your posts a whole lot easier to read. Just sayin'

mmmmm,me thinks this thread stopped having anything to do with disc golf about,oh I don't know,150 post ago?:p

You might be right, treehacker. Maybe tim the admin (hey, that rhymes) can move this thread to the Water Cooler subforum.

I hope everyone understands the story was one sided, my side within the constraints of the written word.. It would have been great to have the young man's point of view to see his mindset and to balance the equation.

I'd like to thank everyone who participated in the thread. For those that didn't agree with my actions, I might have learned a little bit. For those who did, thanks.

I really enjoyed many of the posts and the different points of view especially one in particular.

Omega, your posts crack me up. You're so full of it, if someone knocked the crap out of you, all that would be left is a pair of tennis shoes and a keyboard. And as far as your grammar; ….. Were you dreaming of disc golf while you were asleep in English class? LOL. Just kidding!

Woodpecker< (thinks it's time for this thread to go the same way my last drive went today. Grip locked and out of sight, and no, it didn't land in the stinky creek.)

I am sorry I missed being a part of this thread today, especially after I climbed in the lake at La Mirada today to get a fairway driver that I somehow threw into the lake on the first tee. I have never done that before. And the dead fish 5' from my disc was a nice addition to the outing. I better go take a shower now.

Omega, your posts crack me up. You're so full of it,

Its an individual view point. Why make your thread title a question if your gonna criticize every one who you belive has the "wrong" answer to that question?

After reading more of the thread I came up with this-

You are hardcore (maybe a little extreme) when it comes to teaching lessons, and making people understand your points (pool stick story). Maybe if you would have let that kid "win" you wouldnt have been able to sleep at night, and not be able to live with it, thats fine alot of people are like that. I just dont think you had to handle the situation the way you did.

The kid was some "punk" who had no respect for his elders (cussing like a sailor). He was respectable though in the sense that he dove under "muddy" water to look for your property, that you misplaced.

You tell the kid youll give him a couple bucks if he gets it. The kid thinks, "He'll pay me if I throw him back his disc, heck yeah!" While looking for your misplaced property he finds a disc of his own! So the kids probably pretty happy that he finds a disc (value $5-$15 most likely).

Lets pause here. Did you ever think that the kids main objective getting in the muddy water was to find himself a disc?

So instead of callin it quits, he desides to be a nice guy and continue looking for yours. He finds it!! So at this point your both pretty happy. You hand him $5 (a couple bucks) and he gives you your disc. Then you demand he gives you the other disc because you know the owner, on top of that you tell the kid the $5 was for both.

This is where the deal gets sketchy! Put yourself in that kids shoes, anyone would have thought they were getting played in the situation!

So the kid (who probably knew how much discs were worth, if he was hanging around a DG course) thinks hes getting hustled. The only thing he could think to do in the situation to hold his own, was to swear at you! You explain to him that the 5 was for both, but maybe he wasnt interested in selling his new propery!

Then you threaten him with physical harm. Obviously the child didnt want to fight a fully grown adult, and you win!!! So you walk off with your disc and a new disc that you hustled from a young kid for "250 cents".

My answer to your question, is a simple "YES"

Last edited:
and even though you gave him another disc (which was mandatory in that situation), it was still a "bully" move.

Its an individual view point. Why make your thread title a question if your gonna criticize every one who you belive has the "wrong" answer to that question?

After reading more of the thread I came up with this-

You are hardcore (maybe a little extreme) when it comes to teaching lessons, and making people understand your points (pool stick story). Maybe if you would have let that kid "win" you wouldnt have been able to sleep at night, and not be able to live with it, thats fine alot of people are like that. I just dont think you had to handle the situation the way you did.

The kid was some "punk" who had no respect for his elders (cussing like a sailor). He was respectable though in the sense that he dove under "muddy" water to look for your property, that you misplaced.

You tell the kid youll give him a couple bucks if he gets it. The kid thinks, "He'll pay me if I throw him back his disc, heck yeah!" While looking for your misplaced property he finds a disc of his own! So the kids probably pretty happy that he finds a disc (value $5-$15 most likely).

Lets pause here. Did you ever think that the kids main objective getting in the muddy water was to find himself a disc?

So instead of callin it quits, he desides to be a nice guy and continue looking for yours. He finds it!! So at this point your both pretty happy. You hand him $5 (a couple bucks) and he gives you your disc. Then you demand he gives you the other disc because you know the owner, on top of that you tell the kid the $5 was for both.

This is where the deal gets sketchy! Put yourself in that kids shoes, anyone would have thought they were getting played in the situation!

So the kid (who probably knew how much discs were worth, if he was hanging around a DG course) thinks hes getting hustled. The only thing he could think to do in the situation to hold his own, was to swear at you! You explain to him that the 5 was for both, but maybe he wasnt interested in selling his new propery!

Then you threaten him with physical harm. Obviously the child didnt want to fight a fully grown adult, and you win!!! So you walk off with your disc and a new disc that you hustled from a young kid for "250 cents".

My answer to your question, is a simple "YES"

Well, let's start at the top of your thread.

-Omega's medeival post #34 was hilarious. Thank God I wasn't drinking my iced tea when I first read it or I would have blown it out my nose all over the keyboard. It was creative and I took it in jest. All I did was topspin that "jest" volley back onto his side of the court with what you took out of context at the top of your post. I didn't criticize anyone for having a different opinion than mine (see post #94 above) I believe I thanked them.

-The young man didn't dive under the water. The water was a "couple" of feet deep. I'll explain the word "couple" next.

-We, Southerners, may be a little slow and talk funny but here in the South the word "couple" means two. I even had 2 dollars in my hand which he plainly saw before he found either disc. Go back and read my original post and I think you might understand.

-I didn't DEMAND anything from the young man until he pulled a move on me. I OFFERED him two dollars to find my disc and OFFERED him five dollars for both discs.

-I was brought up with the ideal that if you found something that could clearly be identified as belonging to someone else, it wasn't your property and you returned it. So, I don't get it when you said "his new property".

Woodpecker<(took Reading Comprehension 101 and a little math, too! LOL)

there is no way im gonna hand over a disc to someone thats dosnt belong to them im gonna hold that disc till i see them or call them, if i dont have a cell ill call them from home if you put me in the same boat as that kid i would have gave your 5 back and hand your disc back to you but thats because im an ADULT then i would have said keep your money by the looks of your plastic you need it more than i do.